RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new 2015 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel Truck and noticed in the owners manual it specifies 5W-30 engine oil. I would like to use the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil 5W-40. I live in the deep south so it get's pretty hot here but not to cold. Do any of you know any reason why I can't change to this oil?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Congratulations on you new ride, hope you enjoy it.

No pics means it doesn't exist so please post some!

To answer your question, there are a gazillion posts about oil on this site. Just type in oil in the search bar and prepare to start reading.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as I know, FCA calls for Pennzoil Ultra Euro L PN 68001334 Oil 1.jpg Oil 2.jpg Oil 3.jpg PB *OIL-5W30 & Filter PN 68229402AA.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The technical data sheet for Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil 5W-40 says the following.
"Latest engine technologies including Turbo-chargers, Direct Injection, Diesels (without DPF) and Hybrids". It specifically states that it is not for use in engines that have a DPF, which ours does. If you don't want to have emission system problems, stick to FCA's recommended oil. It must meet Chrysler spec MS11106. There are a number of oil companies that can supply oil that meets this spec. Be careful if you have the oil changed at a dealer, as several forum members have had the dealers put in the wrong oil. It seems that they aren't all properly informed as to the correct oil. This is a travesty, IMO, but non the less a fact.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Not sure you got the direct answer but that is NO. Do not use that Mobile 1 oil. It does not meet ACEA C-1 or Chrysler MS-11106 specs.

There are many brands and offerings, including a Euro-spec Mobile 1, that do meet the correct specs. Read the back of the container on what oil is selected and look for the ratings to know it is correct.

Welcome - 1st post.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Captainmal is right. Do not use that oil. You need something that is safe with dpf's. that being said, you don't need to use Pennzoil either. I've never put that stuff in my truck. Just make sure you get something that meets or is the equivalent to acea-c3. You can Google search acea oil grades to understand which grade is good for your use. Using a higher grade doesn't mean it's the best oil to use. There are trade offs at each level.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You can get away with using the almost right oil in your lawnmower or your 2001 Cavalier but NOT your Ecodiesel.

Do not assume your dealer will even use the right oil. Ask for one of the containers to be sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is the exact spec req?

I am an a soil dealer and I just got an email that they have made a new euro spec oil it looks close, but I don't know the specs or understand them properly to say for sure. Here is a pic of the specs covered in the new oil.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
What is the exact spec req?

I am an a soil dealer and I just got an email that they have made a new euro spec oil it looks close, but I don't know the specs or understand them properly to say for sure. Here is a pic of the specs covered in the new oil.
This oil pictured would be a NO. It does not meet the Chrysler MS-11106 specs. Check out the oil thread sticky - tons of oil info.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I know there is a lot of speculation about the oil etc.

I have talked to a person who worked for an oil field service company that had a small fleet of ecodiesels. They ran the same Delo non synthetic 15w40 in the ecodiesels as they did in everything else with no problems.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not sure you got the direct answer but that is NO. Do not use that Mobile 1 oil. It does not meet ACEA C-1 or Chrysler MS-11106 specs.

There are many brands and offerings, including a Euro-spec Mobile 1, that do meet the correct specs. Read the back of the container on what oil is selected and look for the ratings to know it is correct.

Welcome - 1st post.
Hey Cap, You straightened his a-- out real quick. You get another stripe for not beating around the bush.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A old thread but i wanted to share wath oil i use, probably hard to find in USA, but probably forum members i Europe can get it?
we have here in Sweden a company that makes high end oils that really stand out.
I want the best oil in my engines, and i´m convinced that this is it!!
They work with Schaeffer Oil in USA

Payback #372 SUPREME 9000

Excellent cold start features
Exceptional oxidation stability
Exceptional protection against thermal decomposition
High viscosity index
High heat dissipation
Low coefficient of friction
Press Strengthened
Excellent shear stability
Foaming Resistant
fuel-saving
Extra wear protection for lifts and camshafts
Prevents cylinder polishing
Long replacement intervals

ACEA: E7-12, E9-12; API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4+, SN; MB: 228.1, 228.3, 228.31, 228.5, 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; Volvo: VDS-4, VDS 4,5; Duetz; MAN: 271, 3275, MTU Typ 2; Renault: RLD-3, Scania: LD-F, LDF-2, LDF-3, Iveco, DAF, Global Spec DHD-1, JASO DH -1/-2; Mack EO-O -07, Caterpillar: ECF-1-a, ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20081; Detroit: 7SE 270; Power Guard Spec 93K218, 2000/4000 Category 1; Navistar.

https://payback-lubricants.com/products/engine-oils/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts