RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 EcoDiesel had a Turbo failure that didn't throw any codes... I suspect the problem was happening with 3000 to 4000 miles on the engine and possibly failed while on a road trip from Virginia to Maine and back... The reason for taking the truck in was because of sudden decline in fuel economy... The dealer indicated that the turbo was not responding to demand. Following the turbo replacement, my fuel economy only rebounded a small percentage. What I'm wondering is if the turbo wasn't working for most of the road trip, then what might have been the downstream impacts. Is it possible the pre-catalyst is partially fouled, could the egr be caked with carbon??? Why is my fuel economy not returning to where it was ? Where I was getting an average of 23 to 25 in town and 27-29 on hwy, I'm now getting 19-22 in town and 24-25 on hwy. Also, I'm noticing that on trips of 3 to 4 hours, I see a reduction of 1/8-1/4 inch of coolant in the reservoir. There are no indications of any leaks. The dealer noted that they did notice that the overflow hose showed some dripping. The fill level with engine cold is in the middle of the fill zone. Currently the engine has 7900 miles on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't know where you live but here in Kansas we are having below normal temps. This, combined with diesel that is diluted with less potent No. 1, has caused my mileage to take a hit of 3-4 MPG in all conditions. The loss of coolant may be your biggest problem.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The ECU is constantly monitoring engine performance against expected outcomes. As an example, another owner just reported a P0299 code. This is the code that is produced when boost pressure is less than what the ECU expects for a given condition. It's really hard for me to imagine that a dealership diagnosed a "failed turbo" without getting any codes. In short, it seems impossible to have an under-boost condition - especially over some duration of time, without the ECU detecting it. I don't like your dealership.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Welcome - First post.

As stated above, something not right. Dropping fuel mileage can be winter fuel and horrible conditions. Maybe you live in sunny South Florida? No clue but location is a factor.

Assume you do not have any monitor gauge like Ultra Gauge or Scan Gauge. Right there you can monitor pressures like turbo boost, see codes, clear them etc. Get and run one. The fact that you heard of the EGR issue tells me you also do not have something like a GDE control module that stops that issue.

Read around more and learn. Something not right, as I stated above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for these inputs... I thought the same on boost failure...I 'm in Virginia... so have been experiencing temp drops... but the mileage drop occured during the spring summer months... I do have the Grill Mask... but our temperature this winter start in the low teens and jump up to the mid thirties... makes using the grill mask a bit in convenient... I have several colleagues in So. Maryland, who have the 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesels and have no problems... getting much better MPG performance.. one claims that when he tows a 29' RV, he averages 15 to 17... Initially I was, but after the turbo failure and replacement, I have made one trip towing my 27' RV and have been getting no better than 12 MPG... mostly traveling at speeds averaging 55 or slightly less. I'm beginning to wonder if I might have a hairline head gasket crack to a cylinder... This might be causing the issues with my coolant.. Pressure test may not show a leak, but at HWY speeds, possibly getting some pressure seepage into the coolant that may cause some fluid to be ejected out of the reservoir... just guessing here.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you have a head gasket cracked a pressure test will show it. They cool it down and put 15 lb of pressure into system. Then watch for it to drop. Then they may put a florescent dye into the system if leak isn't viable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, just had my 2017 with 41,000 miles (that I've owned for 3 weeks) crap out on me, I'm hoping it's the turbo because the alternative is worse

Towing an unloaded flat deck into a headwind, all of a sudden revving really high and tons of grey (oil) smoke and stench.

I got a throttle sensor warning.

Limped it to where I could pull over and get a tow.

Serverly irritated

·
Registered
470 Posts
Turbos don't kind of fail. They fail. As mentioned by others, there are a ton of sensors and metrics the ECU tracks and if your turbo was failing or failed, your truck would be on the side of the road in limp mode.

Your dealer is incompetent.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
My turbo housing cracked and was leaking coolant. Had it replaced earlier this year. Do you smell any coolant? Mine was leaking slowly at first and burning off before it dripped. Once it got bad enough, the coolant was leaking down the back of the engine and dripping from the transmission pan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
May possibly want to check your MAP sensor and see if its clogged with soot. 8k miles is not much but if it was clogged with soot it may decrease your mileage a bit.

As for the coolant, I would watch and see if it drops below the seam. If it doesn't, then most likely the coolant is boiling out the overflow tube. Mine has done this several times. If it drops below the seam then you may have an issue somewhere.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are your mpg from the EVIC or hand calculated?

The EVIC can be a several mpgs off and not always the best indicator.

Every time I try to fill the coolant to the full line when the temps outside are warmer, it always blows off a little bit, and then stabilizes. Especially when towing.

It can really shrink in below zero F weather. But when it warms up, the level rises. It used to bug me, but I think it's fine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Temperature alone does not cause a drop in MPG. Actually, the colder the air, the more dense it is.

What causes the drop is the fact that they have to put additives in fuel which takes up space by volume lowering the BTU available by volume. Also, cold starts and longer times to operating temp burn fuel at a much higher rate than normal. On top of this, if the ground has snow or ice, you truck does more work for the same distance.

Also, for guys like me who run soft compound winter tires, causes more rolling resistance.

BTW, I don't understand claims that you can get 17 MPG towing a 29 footer. Maybe those who tow alot could chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
I see quite a variation in the mpgs that different "winter blend" diesels have. I'm just guessing that some are blended with quite a bit of kerosene, whereas others rely more on additives. I have my own 275 gallon tank of "summer blend" that I use from March until mid December, here in Maine, or if I see temps are getting down to 15F or colder. I see about 2-4 mpg hit with the winter stuff. Winter gas also seems to knock down mpg in my hemi company truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2016 EcoDiesel had a Turbo failure that didn't throw any codes... I suspect the problem was happening with 3000 to 4000 miles on the engine and possibly failed while on a road trip from Virginia to Maine and back... The reason for taking the truck in was because of sudden decline in fuel economy... The dealer indicated that the turbo was not responding to demand. Following the turbo replacement, my fuel economy only rebounded a small percentage. What I'm wondering is if the turbo wasn't working for most of the road trip, then what might have been the downstream impacts. Is it possible the pre-catalyst is partially fouled, could the egr be caked with carbon??? Why is my fuel economy not returning to where it was ? Where I was getting an average of 23 to 25 in town and 27-29 on hwy, I'm now getting 19-22 in town and 24-25 on hwy. Also, I'm noticing that on trips of 3 to 4 hours, I see a reduction of 1/8-1/4 inch of coolant in the reservoir. There are no indications of any leaks. The dealer noted that they did notice that the overflow hose showed some dripping. The fill level with engine cold is in the middle of the fill zone. Currently the engine has 7900 miles on it.
Loss of coolant in my case was a leak into the EGR, which became steam and was exhausted, so there was no evident leakage. It was very expensive to fix, fortunately under warrantee for me. Suggest you have them check it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
BTW, I don't understand claims that you can get 17 MPG towing a 29 footer. Maybe those who tow alot could chime in.
I tow a 29ft TT. I usually average around 14mpg doing 65mph. That includes driving thru the NC mountains. Mine has the 3.92 rear end.
I think 17mpg could be possible if you did 55mph in Florida. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I tow a 21 foot RV TT, small, but older (1994) and heavier, all loaded up with fuel, bodies, coolers, TT wet, I can pack over 7,000 lbs of total cargo.

And my tow average is 14.5 mpg. However, one time, on a no wind day, flat terrain, and that good non-blended Louisiana, very stinky, #2 diesel along the Gulf Coast, I got a hand calculated 16.4 mpg, really just astounding, and very rare. The water was mill pond flat all that day and no hills along that stretch, bridges excepted. This was interstate driving at 65 mph.

So sure it is possible, but the conditions have to be perfect. Once I start going back up and down hills, the party is over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts