RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help.

I purchased a Mopar Cold Weather Cover, part number 82216061AC for my 2022 Longhorn 1500 ED. The Mopar fitment guide says this is the correct cover and it fits including the cutout for the front camera. The issue is the two staps that hang from the lower ends of the cover and per the instructions (labeled Limited Longhorn Cold Weather Mask), wrap around and clip onto the lip of the wheel well.

The straps are too short to reach and it seems as if the straps were elastic, they would work per the instructions. But the straps are not elastic. Does anyone have this cover? Are the straps supposed to be elastic and if not, how did you manage to get them to reach into the wheel well?

Thanks for any help.

· Registered
12 Posts
I need some help.

I purchased a Mopar Cold Weather Cover, part number 82216061AC for my 2022 Longhorn 1500 ED. The Mopar fitment guide says this is the correct cover and it fits including the cutout for the front camera. The issue is the two staps that hang from the lower ends of the cover and per the instructions (labeled Limited Longhorn Cold Weather Mask), wrap around and clip onto the lip of the wheel well.

The straps are too short to reach and it seems as if the straps were elastic, they would work per the instructions. But the straps are not elastic. Does anyone have this cover? Are the straps supposed to be elastic and if not, how did you manage to get them to reach into the wheel well?

Thanks for any help.
The straps actually hook to your bumper at the very top / inside below your wheel well flare. Took me a few times reading to figure it out.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The straps actually hook to your bumper at the very top / inside below your wheel well flare. Took me a few times reading to figure it out.
I got it, wow, took a good pair of plyers and about all my strength to get it to hook inside the wheel well.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, but am considering getting one, not sure I need based on this forum.
I wasn't sure how much the grill cover would help, seems I read mixed messages. The owner's manual suggests using it in temperatures below 32 degrees F.

I was expecting a quicker warm up but that isn't what I got. It seemed to take just as long to warm up as it did without the grill cover. So far, the coldest temperatures I've had were in the mid-teens. I think the grill shutters are effective and likely no need for the grill cover unless I'm missing something.

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
I was expecting a quicker warm up but that isn't what I got. It seemed to take just as long to warm up as it did without the grill cover.
If it works like the Gen2 trucks, the warm up is slightly quicker but it doesn't loose heat as fast once the engine is up to temp. Where you notice the grill cover helping is in the mid to low teens and below but we haven't had those kinds of temps here yet.

· Registered
12 Posts
If it works like the Gen2 trucks, the warm up is slightly quicker but it doesn't loose heat as fast once the engine is up to temp. Where you notice the grill cover helping is in the mid to low teens and below but we haven't had those kinds of temps here yet.
It won’t change your startup temps much at idle / sitting still - the real saver is at 10 degrees and lower your truck warms up and stay warm much faster when driving. These take forever to warm just sitting- best off to hit the heated seat and steering wheel and warm up going down the road.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We typically don't see single-digit temperatures until mid-January through February so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

I have noticed, after a remote start, when I enter the truck the HVAC is blowing warm air in defrost mode. Is the truck capable of making heat electrically?

· Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
103 Posts
That seems to hold true. I've had the brand new cold weather cover unwrapped for two seasons sitting in my garage and just installed last week. Glad it's on now. Engine temps climb quickly now and stay up during these negative fahrenheit temps.

Reactions: Crash68

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If what the weatherman predicts stays true, I'll find out what the grill cover will do this weekend. Single-digit temperatures and brisk winds. I will be driving from North of Detroit to the Cleveland area for our family Christmas. I'm hoping the grill cover at a minimum will help hold the engine bay temperature while the wife and I stop off at the service plazas on the Ohio Turnpike for a driving break and a Flat White.

· Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
103 Posts
If what the weatherman predicts stays true, I'll find out what the grill cover will do this weekend. Single-digit temperatures and brisk winds. I will be driving from North of Detroit to the Cleveland area for our family Christmas. I'm hoping the grill cover at a minimum will help hold the engine bay temperature while the wife and I stop off at the service plazas on the Ohio Turnpike for a driving break and a Flat White.
Was negative -3 fahrenheit last night driving back from our friend's house. Engine temp seemed like non winter driving. Keep us posted after your trip. I would be interested.

Reactions: Crash68

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
Single-digit temperatures and brisk winds. I will be driving from North of Detroit to the Cleveland area for our family Christmas.
Safe travels to you. There will be an extra amount of id10ts on the road, first round of winter weather and seems peoples forget how to drive in the stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts