RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
500 mile review of my new 2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn

I recently traded my 2014 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel for a 2019 Laramie Longhorn and have about 550 miles on the truck so far. Wanted to provide a personal review of the new truck and share with you some of the items that we really haven’t read about in the press. My EcoD was GDE tuned and had timber grove airbags. A great truck and never left me stranded but I was a few hundred miles away from my extended warranty expiring and was itching for a new vehicle. So as soon as the exact trim level was available, I made the trade on the new 2019.

I broke down the review in several sections:

Ride and Passenger comfort:
The new 2019 absolutely blows away the 14 - 18 ram ride comfort. The factory rake is gone. Suspension is definitely softer and truck handles like a bigger truck than my 2014 but as smooth as my wife’s Chrysler 300C. My 2019 trim level didn’t come with the air suspension, which gave me the power air dam that really helps keep the aerodynamics in check and road noise almost non-existent. That translates into a quieter truck, reduced external noise and much more enjoyable to have a soft conversation while driving. Coupled with the optional active noise cancelling system, the truck is extremely quiet on the inside.

Rear passenger space is carnivorous! Really bigger than the f150 and with the reclining seats, my kids and a couple of buddies that have been in the truck describe it as a limousine in the back. They got rid of the center “hump” and moved the subwoofer so you have massive amounts of space when you flip the seats. Entering and existing the vehicle is s breeze with the power deploying side steps and the rear doors swing open 90 degrees. So loading and unloading from the rear is much easier now. The truck bed is much deeper and you can fit more stuff than prior years. My 110qt cooler wouldn’t fit in my 2014 with the tonneau cover closed. Same tonneau cover can now be closed with the 2019 and the cooler fits.

Technology:
Comparing my 2014 to this new 2019 in this category is like comparing apples to hub caps. It’s a different level of technology in the truck and let me tell you, it all works! Adaptive cruise control, Active braking (creeped to my garage door at 2 mph and the truck stopped me on its own) driver steering assist to maintain the truck within the lanes, parallel parking on its own, 12 inch screen that’s fast with no lag. Uconnect mobile app has been replaced with SiriusXM guardian. Does all the same things as before.......

Safety:
Blind spot works as advertised but the active braking adds another level here. As I was messing with the 12” screen options, driving down the road, the car in front of me tried to make a quick right turn, the truck went into active braking and applied the brakes aggressively to avoid a rear end. It scared the crap out of me at first but totally saved a fender bender...so it works! The surround view camera in split screen brings a whole new level to parking, backing up and getting into a tight spot. You can view the rear or front camera while driving via a quick button on the screen.

Lights:
Yup....all of our issues with headlights in prior years have been fixed. Bright as any powerful LED’s and adaptive headlights follow your steering directions. Turn, and the lights turn with you. They are bright!

Fuel economy:
Sucks! Hemi with 3.21 gears and all the fancy drag coefficient improvements and weight reduction does not help when you are switching from a tuned ecodiesel....averaging 16 mpg and that’s with the hemi mds kicking in almost frequently. Hoping this will improve with more miles.....filled up with 89 grade gas today for the first time and had to be physically supported when that came out to $88 and change..... yes, it’s a 33 gallon tank compared to my ecodiesel with the 22 gallon tank but wholly crap! Rider comfort and luxury factor compensates for that fuel up cost...oil changes will be cheaper for sure.I do like the “get in, start and go without any turbo lag” much more than my ecodiesel. Especially in the morning when rushing to get to work......I always had to plan an extra 10 minutes of time to warm up my 2014 before heading out....no more....I can sleep in an extra 10 minutes...ha!

If they ever release the 2019 with an ecodiesel engine and same options, I will trade her in for an ecodiesel model for sure as RAM definitely has a winner here...just not so much on the gas mileage.....

The only upgrade needed at this point is a set of air bags to prevent the sag in the rear end when towing. I hooked up my boat and since the springs are much softer, truck definitely squatted....working on a set of timber groves once they become available from TGE...

Other than that, the truck is pure comfort perfection, unbelievably luxurious and provides so much more than prior years.....by a long stretch.....

I am sure I forgot a few things but fire away any questions...lots on the internet but this review is from a non-sponsored & non-magazine report giving you the down and dirty.....

Summary:
If you need to get out of your truck now, go get a 2019. If safety, ride comfort is a must have and you spend a ton of time in the cab driving, this is a winner despite the fuel economy issue.....If not, wait until the ecodiesel or much more fuel efficient option is available.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
my hope is for the Pentastar in the high trim levels. Where I live the vast majority of my driving is done on 55 mph limit roads and I sure do enjoy the Pentastar in my new Pacifica. It would be perfect for me in a pickup. Not everyone needs a high horsepower boy racer truck. I hate to have to drop to a something below my Longhorn to get a Pentastar. I also love the Ecodiesel but the long term reliability of the emissions and my ethical views about deleting and tunes makes another diesel the wrong decision for me. I was happy with my manual transmission 1980 105 hp slant 6 pickup so I am sure the Pentastar would be fine for me as far as power goes and the fuel mileage coupled with reduced cost per gallon and reduced oil change and maintenance cost would make a Pentastar Longhorn an economic winner for me.

Thanks much for the review of the 2019. It sounds very nice indeed.

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Comparing your pre airbag 14 to your 19 with the same boat less or more squat? What does your boat weigh? You should put Pics of at least your new truck in this thread. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FB91797A-2D5B-42A3-B20E-8B6C27AD2A0A.png

Comparing your pre airbag 14 to your 19 with the same boat less or more squat? What does your boat weigh? You should put Pics of at least your new truck in this thread. Thanks for the review.
More squat on the 2019 compared to the EcoD, even before adding the airbags to my 2014 truck. Boat and trailer is 5500 and according to my weighsafe hitch with built-in scale, my tongue weight is 450 lbs.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Comprehensive and tine-consuming report. Thanks for making the effort to do that.

Read it all and little interest as I am more involved in basic transportation than most today. All those "features" are expensive fluff to me but I kept reading. There it was - bad fuel mileage. Appreciate the frankness. When you got to what I value, it was what I thought it was (the late Dennis Green's rant).

Appreciate the information.

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Sounds like a hell of a truck but that the 5th gen will get dogged for squatting under a load. Thats ok its easy and cheap to remedy for those of us who carry or tow heavier loads. Ram bumped GVWR and dropped base weight to dramatically improve legal limits and the payload sticker number which cost Ram lots of sales and got heckled for so that will help a lot. If the 48 volt system and others things improve the cooling with the EDs then coming 5th gens will stay on my short list.

Captn I specked a Tradesman QC 4WD 6.4 bed with towing & chrome pak etc 41k add say 3k for the ED. Probably have some discounts by Dec of 19 perhaps about the time you are getting more serious about a trade. But I think with what and how you tow you will be happier with the 3.92. Lol you can still comfortably run 90 all day long.

I noticed on the Ram builder it had the standard 275/65/18 BSW all season radial listed twice as non cost item. Once with TUM sales code the other with the TUL sales code. No other details listed. Anybody know the difference?
Also that the standard 20" tire size is now 275/55/20 (like Ford & GM) instead of the 275/60/20 we now get. I have been running the 275/55/20 XL load ratings for I dunno 250k now. I like them better than the 275/60/20 standard load Wrangler or the 265/60/20 E loads.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any comment on width of truck with mirrors out and folded in?

Reading new rams are slightly wider and may be an issue for my stock garage doors (don’t have much clearance as it is with the 2015 with mirrors in), but don’t know if the new widths they are quoting are with them folded in or out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any comment on width of truck with mirrors out and folded in?

Reading new rams are slightly wider and may be an issue for my stock garage doors (don’t have much clearance as it is with the 2015 with mirrors in), but don’t know if the new widths they are quoting are with them folded in or out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The width is about the same. The new truck fits in the same garage (standard size) as my 2014 did. Fold mirrors in, go through garage, fold mirrors out once in and have 3 inches on each side. It’s longer for sure by 4 inches but still fits in your typical HOA home in Texas....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having bought a new generation truck, I knew I was going to deal with some growing pains..... so far:
1) The new SiriusXM 360L radio (unique to this truck) has developed a random "lost satellite connection" issue that can only be cleared by turning the truck off, wait a few minutes and then turn it back on for satellite connection to be re-established.....
2) The 14" new style brakes on these 2019 squeals like a welfare wagon when hot coming to a slow stop.......
3) Passenger side mirror hesitates when power folding and takes up to 30 seconds of "trying" and "trying" and then finally retracts to driving position.......

On the good news front... mileage creeping up towards 18.5 mpg... still under 1000 miles.... looks promising...... One thing I did notice is that on my morning commute, my RPM's with cruise control set to 77 mph (my standard morning drive into work) is around 1850... that is almost identical to my ecoD with 3.55 gears... yet this 2019 is 3.21 gears.... a bit of research led me to the new transmission details used in the 2019... it's the ZF 8HP75 (2nd generation)....the new tranny has taller gears than the prior 8HP70 used in 14 - 18 RAMs. Doing the math, a 3.21 rear gear axle with the new 8HP75 tranny is equivalent to 3.41 gears on the 1st generation 8HP70 tranny...... An interesting tidbit of info.......

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Omar What is the steer and drive axle ratings? Also a thought on the gearing.. they now come with 275/55/20 instead of taller 275/60/20s.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Omar What is the steer and drive axle ratings? Also a thought on the gearing.. they now come with 275/55/20 instead of taller 275/60/20s.
Front is 3900 lbs and rear is 4100 lbs. Much more beefed up rear axle (Payload as spec'd is 1850 lbs).... working with Steve @ TGE on the air bags and the rears definitely have different mounting pads & hole patterns due to the beefed up axle & braces....

Yes, staying with the 275/55 R20.. the stock 113T Dueler Alenza's have a 2500 lbs per tire load capacity which is plenty for my application....

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Good glad to see the jump to 4100. Still internally the same 9.25 rear I presume. I also read that Ram beefed up its factory receiver hitch. I have never had any issue with it but perhaps it will transfer weight better. I just referenced the tire height change in reference to your post about the transmission ratio changes affecting the final drive ratio. In that despite the taller rear ratio of the 3.21 and despite being a shorter tire that per your reference it came out the same as your 3.55 geared ED.

FWIW Towing a bumper pull TT with a heavy TW is really hard on drive tires. I have been through several sets of stock standard load rated 275/60/20 Wranglers, now my 2nd set of E load rated 265/60/20s, and several sets of 275/55/20 XL load rated tires. All of which were all seasons. I prefer the 275/55/20 XL load rated tires and will stick with them from now on with this truck. The shorter lower profile tire tows and handles the loads I do better than the stiffer harsher Es no matter how I play with the air pressure. I will have to check your tire out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great review and feedback - thanks!

Can you post a picture of how much sag with your boat hooked up? Currently towing a 7500lbs boat with a 2016 F150 and on the fence ordering a 2019 Ram. No sag with my current truck and no complaints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great review and feedback - thanks!

Can you post a picture of how much sag with your boat hooked up? Currently towing a 7500lbs boat with a 2016 F150 and on the fence ordering a 2019 Ram. No sag with my current truck and no complaints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Here you go...pic showing the difference.... about 1.5” drop
Truck has standard stuff in the bed (200lbs), full fuel tank....
Top of hitch ball unhitched: 21.5”
Top of hitch ball after boat trailer hooked up: 20”
Truck is on stock 275/55 R20 dueler with 38 psi.
2D7049ED-C4C5-4885-B828-9252CCD6F98F.png 0994ADEC-83A9-4814-A71B-FA3855030C2A.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here you go...pic showing the difference.... about 1.5” drop
Truck has standard stuff in the bed (200lbs), full fuel tank....
Top of hitch ball unhitched: 21.5”
Top of hitch ball after boat trailer hooked up: 20”
Truck is on stock 275/55 R20 dueler with 38 psi.
View attachment 69146 View attachment 69154
Thanks! I'll have to take a pic of unhitched and hitched with my F150 to see how it compares. Very curious on your fuel mileage...I'm averaging 17.4 over 54,000 miles with my F150 and it's 2.7l EcoBoost.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts