RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you sell a truck you need to support it with spare parts fuel injectors don’t take months to supply or shouldn’t. There is a bigger problem with parts supply than the public knows it’s not right to have a new vehicle sitting on parts for months, bad diesel fuel...responsibility for that still tbd.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you sell a truck you need to support it with spare parts fuel injectors don’t take months to supply or shouldn’t. There is a bigger problem with parts supply than the public knows it’s not right to have a new vehicle sitting on parts for months, bad diesel fuel...responsibility for that still tbd.
Your not wrong, but COVID. Our grocery store still can't keep toilet paper in stock, so I can't imagine what it has done to automotive supply chains. Also, combine this with the fact that FCA decided to introduce the ecodiesel into multiple popular plaforms (Wrangler, Gladiator). I also suspect it will find its way into the Wagoneer.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I suggest keeping your most recent fuel receipts in case such issues arise. Ram will usually not cover failures due to contaminated fuel. Id be looking first to the fuel seller/supplier, and second to my comprehensive auto insurance.

·
Registered
987 Posts
What the availablity of parts tells me is that FCA can't keep up with demand on putting the diesel engines into the various platforms and therefore has no or very limited spare parts. You can't pull parts from the assembly line as they have already been assigned to a specific vehicle. It's not that the Rebel platformis a joke, as your title indicates, but the fact that FCA is still running the Bosch CP 4.x fuel pump. The North American market has known that pump is too fragile since 2007 and it's still being used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What the availablity of parts tells me is that FCA can't keep up with demand on putting the diesel engines into the various platforms and therefore has no or very limited spare parts. You can't pull parts from the assembly line as they have already been assigned to a specific vehicle. It's not that the Rebel platformis a joke, as your title indicates, but the fact that FCA is still running the Bosch CP 4.x fuel pump. The North American market has known that pump is too fragile since 2007 and it's still being used.
if you cannot support trucks in the field and keep building them? is this ethical? once they determine its not warrant able you get the short end of the stick and non existent service. Shocking to me - the word should get out until the response from the OEM gets in line with some sort of fairness? ....joke may be the wrong term...but to me its a massive comedy...
i actually had a FCA rep call me yesterday to inform me the escalation of the issue...really? call me with no update? just its been escalated....now thats a joke - 3 months? totally unaccetpable. Love the truck HATE the nonexistent service and support - feel sorry for the dealer frankly...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It is not FCA, it is the supply chain. We have to have parts flown in or next day shipped almost every day just to keep the plant running. The eight speed converter line stops five or six times a day do to part shortage. Covid is to blame or so the suppliers tell us. We average one to two people calling off a week. We had a guy test positive in my department of eleven people. He was off for six weeks! I worked a boat load of O.T. those six weeks to!

·
Registered
987 Posts
A lot of the blame can be pushed to the late 80s and 90s when most manufacturing went to just in time inventory. you only keep enough inventory on the shop floor for the next 24 hours of assmebly. The company I wokred for referred to it as "just out of stock". This was driven by the Japanese, primarlily Honda and Sony. The shortfall in North America is that are manufacturing sites are not large conglomerates of many small parts plants feeding into the last major assembly plant. Add in that many pieces are now built for worldwide supply and that supply chain is interuppted by Covid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts