RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Been pulling the same toy hauler with my Cummins as with the Ecodiesel. 1 mpg less fuel economy with the Cummins if I tow at the same speeds. There-in is the rub.

The Cummins easily goes faster pulling the trailer than the Ecodiesel did. So, I tend to go faster. That blows tires on the trailer and drops the fuel mileage. If I mentally could control myself and just do 65 mph tops, my take on the mpg thing is it would be closer to the Eco. Yet going up mountains slower, like you were forced to do with the Ecodiesel, is not factored in. Top speeds are not the only "drinker of fuel" . Where I struggled to pull steep grades at 35 mph with the Ecodiesel, now I easily pull at full traffic speeds. That has to cost me fuel mileage.

Leaving for a month with that toy hauler and heading to the Carolina/ Va. mountains.There is a motorcycle rally and motorcycle rides to do plus general goofing off. Time for my Cummins to drink some fuel under load.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts

Showed this to my wife. Holy shit. Sorry for the statement but not really. No way will you return the same if taking that run. Smashed and trashed will be the motif.

That sure could be an adventure.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Captain whats the MC ralley? I could be in for that. Dalton Hwy.. not so much.
Sourdo Seems the world is opening from Covid restrictions. Thursday we leave for Greece.
Moto Guzzi rally in southern Virginia near Meadows of Dan on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Pam does not like my new V9 Roamer until I get a larger rear rack and backf=rest for her so we are taking the FatBoy.

Canadian border scheduled to open July 21st. Heard that on the news.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Looks like a nice comfy street bike. I'd have to get a backrest & rack and take the Roamer. Wouldn't seem right to leave her home when going to a Guzzi rally. Lol bet its a lot different than any Harley rally.
Too late. No backrest and rack available right now. Taking the Harley. This Goose is also more like the size of a Triumph or BSA twin. Perfect for my background. Pam thinks it is way too tiny and bouncy. Already spend mega hundreds building up the seat. Been dealing with suspension changes also. She HATES it. Simple as that.

Even drilled out the internal baffles as she complained it wounded like an electric sewing machine. There is no substitute for that Harley sound of my old Fatboy.

Truck is ready to start pulling the toy hauler. Time to use the diesel car for what it is intended to do.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Understand the reasons for going with a Gen3 Ecodiesel. Two years ago (time flies) when I wanted another truck the Gen 3 had just come out. With no track rrecord and my past experiences with Cummins, I made the decision to go there. If I were doing it today or tomorrow, it would probably be a Gen3 as I tow but not heavy.

Wearing out this Cummins is probably not reasonable in my remaining lifetime. Hope to be around a while and see. For now, I'm packing tomorrow to go riding for a month. It is that time.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Just did 500 miles 65-72 mph. 12.2 mpg pulling the little toy hauler.

Kind of a bummer.as I have done better. Oh well

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Did just another 300 miles and got 11.9 mpg. Unsafe to run below 65 and mostly just around 70 in slow lanes.

Truck parked as we do motorcycle rally and rides. Fun fish to catch, especially if swift current.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
You guys are so cool; thanks for sharing all your experiences here. I am a novice in the traveling topic, but I am eager to continue.
I would also like to get a van for traveling because I used to travel on intercity trains before and it was a cool experience. But I want to explore some destinations where trains do not go. A van would also allow me to take my friends with me and have a fun trip with them. I used to travel alone before, and it is a special experience too, but it is always something more when you are not alone. What do you think about that? Which kind of traveling do you prefer?
You resurrected a year-old post. Nothing wrong with that. My answer to you is ...

Alone.

I have traveled much and basically all over the world. Better alone as then you can go, stop, turn, eat, doo, explore and stay when and where you want. To mitigate what you do to appease others is soon uncomfortable.

Also like it best on a motorcycle, if the weather is reasonable. If you are uncomfortable with yourself you will want others around you to reassure your existence. Many are like that.
They travel little and that's fine with me. That way they are not in my way during the rides and not bothering me when I get there. The journey is the reward, not the destination.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
You can take someone along, best if they can't run as fast as you.
Funny.

Got older and can barely run at all. It would be harder to find anyone that runs slower for the bear to catch. Need that shotgun or large handgun to be your slower companion.

Reactions: BrianF

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Oh my oh my. What an amazing feat of surgery to put that face back together. The story of no anesthesia is unbelievable. That is one tough cookie to want to live after a mess like that.

Been some discussions lately on Accurate Shooter about just what is best for stopping a bear attack. Essentially - LUCK is the answer. You only have a few seconds to make the right shot or shots. Buckshot does not penetrate well. Best to use a slug but then you have to actually make a good shot. Big bore rifles allow that one well-placed shot. Multiple shots from a semi-40 cal handgun seem to be OK. Revolvers are a bit slow for multiple good shots but of course, it could just take one.

Put all the scenarios out and the answer is the right shot in the right place in the seconds you have. LUCK. But remember, skill and practice makes luck.

One bear I killed was above me about 125 yards on a mountain. First shot had issues as he rolled over to scratch a thorn right as I shot and it was a poor kill shot. Next one did a double lung but as you probably know, lung shots means they run as far as they can hold their breath. In my case it was a dead run straight downhill at me. Third shot I think was a miss. fourth and last shot went between the front legs at about 30 yards and the momentum took the bear right to me, skidding down about 10 ft. away and sliding under a log.

Reloaded the rifle, calmed down, checked the bear (440LB male black mounted here in the house) and then set my rifle against a tree. Grabbed a front paw to try and pull it out from under that fallen log and the paw shook back and forth in my had with nerves. High in the air and back for that rifle I went. Then laughed. Had to go get help to get that thing out from that log, gut and hauled out of there. Cleaned up my pants later.

Bears are not your friend. Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
I have been solo backpacking for over 40 years, I go at least a week every summer. I wouldn't even know who I was if I hadn't spent some real time with just myself!
I have seen literally 100's of black bears over the years but usually I see their butts as they avoid people for the most part. Very careful about hanging my food and not cooking where I camp. Never once had a problem but I do carry bear mace...

Definitely not in Alaska though!

I think bear mace is like seasoning for their next meal ... you.

Black bears are actually more involved in human attacks than the grizzly/brown because they are more common where people are. Mostly, as you relate, they run away. "Mostly" is the operative word. May you have continued good fortune with all future bear encounters you have, armed or defenseless.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
I have never seen a mountain lion but am pretty sure I have been seen! Found fresh scat and prints. When I was younger I used to carry a couple firecrackers and or "pop its" also to make a little noise.
I think it is legal to carry a firearm in the Olympic Nat'l Park but illegal to discharge it.. WTH
Bet if you had to use something in an emergency all would be OK. Better to have than to not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts