RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Looks like a nice comfy street bike. I'd have to get a backrest & rack and take the Roamer. Wouldn't seem right to leave her home when going to a Guzzi rally. Lol bet its a lot different than any Harley rally.
Too late. No backrest and rack available right now. Taking the Harley. This Goose is also more like the size of a Triumph or BSA twin. Perfect for my background. Pam thinks it is way too tiny and bouncy. Already spend mega hundreds building up the seat. Been dealing with suspension changes also. She HATES it. Simple as that.

Even drilled out the internal baffles as she complained it wounded like an electric sewing machine. There is no substitute for that Harley sound of my old Fatboy.

Truck is ready to start pulling the toy hauler. Time to use the diesel car for what it is intended to do.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Yep the EVO sounded better than the TCs sounds better than the M8s. Even with more cam & compression and an aftermarket pipe the M8 doesn't have the idle of just even the potato potato potato. But it sounds good going through the gears. The M8 is a lot more like the old EVO than the TC. Lol lots in that pic. Fat boy on Fat boy ole blue and soon to be gen 3 ED owner with my Sport Glide on the bed even the dawn of the woo flu. Yep its camping & biking season.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Understand the reasons for going with a Gen3 Ecodiesel. Two years ago (time flies) when I wanted another truck the Gen 3 had just come out. With no track rrecord and my past experiences with Cummins, I made the decision to go there. If I were doing it today or tomorrow, it would probably be a Gen3 as I tow but not heavy.

Wearing out this Cummins is probably not reasonable in my remaining lifetime. Hope to be around a while and see. For now, I'm packing tomorrow to go riding for a month. It is that time.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Yep greatly improved cooling, emissions system, and mo power the new gen ED would tow your trailer well. My folks stopped driving at 92. Believe that gives you some time to try to wear out that Cummins. Great truck I'm sure no regrets. Safe traveling my friend. Pics of Moto Guzzi raleys always welcome.

Did you ever find out who got your old ED? Did you send her on her way with the tune or sell it? Be interesting to see how she fares. Be cool to see it again with 2-300k on her.

Reactions: Fediej and sourdo

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Just did 500 miles 65-72 mph. 12.2 mpg pulling the little toy hauler.

Kind of a bummer.as I have done better. Oh well

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
And it is also one road we haven't been on yet, so later next month we're going to do it.
I'm on the Northwood RV forum where people discuss taking their Arctic Fox travel trailer/fifth wheel up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse. There's been a lot of people who have done it. It's on my bucket list. Post your trip experience and some pics!

Reactions: sourdo and 7milesup

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just did 500 miles 65-72 mph. 12.2 mpg pulling the little toy hauler.

Kind of a bummer.as I have done better. Oh well
We just got back from round two at the Kenai River/Russian River Ferry, aka, Sportsman Landing.

I tried to keep my speeds at 60 mph max. It made a little difference but not much. Same windy hilly trip, same load, it all ended up 13.2 mpg hand calculated for the round trip of 320 miles in the end. This is about the same for the last two RV trips before with the new truck. Driving over 65 mph really kills my mileage quickly. But I understand, there are times when you either keep up or piss other people off. 58 mph seems to be the sweet spot for mpg for me. And 13 mpg is what it is when I tow. But it is OK with me. We got there in fine fashion though. I sure like pulling the RV with this 2500 CTD.

And the fishing was pretty good too, yea Cummings on getting us there. In the three mornings of fishing, I caught two fish the first day, two the second, and the third day I caught 4 fish in an hour for a total of 8 nice chrome sockeye. I caught 3 last week on the first trip, so I met my quota of enough fish to smoke up two loads and some to eat. Enough is enough, it can be easy to catch "too many". These are top notch eating.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Did just another 300 miles and got 11.9 mpg. Unsafe to run below 65 and mostly just around 70 in slow lanes.

Truck parked as we do motorcycle rally and rides. Fun fish to catch, especially if swift current.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys are so cool; thanks for sharing all your experiences here. I am a novice in the traveling topic, but I am eager to continue.
I would also like to get a van for traveling because I used to travel on intercity trains before and it was a cool experience. But I want to explore some destinations where trains do not go. A van would also allow me to take my friends with me and have a fun trip with them. I used to travel alone before, and it is a special experience too, but it is always something more when you are not alone. What do you think about that? Which kind of traveling do you prefer?

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
You guys are so cool; thanks for sharing all your experiences here. I am a novice in the traveling topic, but I am eager to continue.
I would also like to get a van for traveling because I used to travel on intercity trains before and it was a cool experience. But I want to explore some destinations where trains do not go. A van would also allow me to take my friends with me and have a fun trip with them. I used to travel alone before, and it is a special experience too, but it is always something more when you are not alone. What do you think about that? Which kind of traveling do you prefer?
You resurrected a year-old post. Nothing wrong with that. My answer to you is ...

Alone.

I have traveled much and basically all over the world. Better alone as then you can go, stop, turn, eat, doo, explore and stay when and where you want. To mitigate what you do to appease others is soon uncomfortable.

Also like it best on a motorcycle, if the weather is reasonable. If you are uncomfortable with yourself you will want others around you to reassure your existence. Many are like that.
They travel little and that's fine with me. That way they are not in my way during the rides and not bothering me when I get there. The journey is the reward, not the destination.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I like alone at times, oh the solitude and quiet. Every read Edward Abbey?

I've done many back packs out in the wilderness for 2-3 days at a time, with no one with me, myself and I, and perhaps a dog, there have been many pooches. In bear country, dogs are good to have around. You can take someone along, best if they can't run as fast as you.

I always enjoyed the experience of me, nature, my wits, not a sole in sight our sound. And do not muck it up, nobody is going to save your virgin ass. Since I shot that first deer at 13, alone, tracked it, alone, gutted it alone, drug it out, alone, I discovered I can do what I want and don't have to wait for no one. I'll figure it out one way or another what I need to know.

I always like those solo hunting, fishing and hikes, kind of a test of you against Ma Nature, she can kick your ass man, or give you pure bliss, a good combo and I say bring it on either way.

But I'm older now, and not so inclined to do such things we did when I was young, dumb, and full of if, haha.

Do it while your young, your mortality will start to eat at you, along with your wife to tell you to knock off the crap!!

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
You can take someone along, best if they can't run as fast as you.
Funny.

Got older and can barely run at all. It would be harder to find anyone that runs slower for the bear to catch. Need that shotgun or large handgun to be your slower companion.

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Need that shotgun or large handgun to be your slower companion.
I have both, a Benelli 3 -1/2" 12 gauge Magnum short barreled with sights, and a S&W 26 classic SS 5 inch 44 mag. After last years bear encounters at the Russian River, screw it I'm not going unarmed. Every year someone dies from a bear attack or is mauled but lives.

We had a garage sale here at the home a few years ago, this older fellow was talking to my wife holding this pieced of printer paper, looked like a red blotch was in the middle. I wandered over to see what I was looking at, he holds it up. HOLY COW! This picture showed a guy that had his FACE BITTEN OFF by a big rouge male grizzly bear near Denali. Just gross and shocking. And it was the SAME guy! Then I looked a bit harder at his face, he was missing half an ear, scars all over, bum left eye that did not work. I was really amazed on how well they put him back together, right here at the local hospital too. He told me the whole story, it was really something to hear first hand. He had to ride for hours on a snow machine to get to the helicopter on top of his injuries.

To top it off, he was a 7th Day Adventist, no drugs, he wouldn't allow it. He did the whole surgery without sedation or anesthesia, if you ever see the picture, well I'm in awe. For a guy that was in his late 70,s I have to admire his faith, guts and determination to live.

Me? Lol, I'm going fishing but I'll be packing heat!

If you have to look, beware this is graphic. while he has fully recovered, at first you can't understand how that could be! https://medihelp.life/77-year-old-attacked-by-a-bear/

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Oh my oh my. What an amazing feat of surgery to put that face back together. The story of no anesthesia is unbelievable. That is one tough cookie to want to live after a mess like that.

Been some discussions lately on Accurate Shooter about just what is best for stopping a bear attack. Essentially - LUCK is the answer. You only have a few seconds to make the right shot or shots. Buckshot does not penetrate well. Best to use a slug but then you have to actually make a good shot. Big bore rifles allow that one well-placed shot. Multiple shots from a semi-40 cal handgun seem to be OK. Revolvers are a bit slow for multiple good shots but of course, it could just take one.

Put all the scenarios out and the answer is the right shot in the right place in the seconds you have. LUCK. But remember, skill and practice makes luck.

One bear I killed was above me about 125 yards on a mountain. First shot had issues as he rolled over to scratch a thorn right as I shot and it was a poor kill shot. Next one did a double lung but as you probably know, lung shots means they run as far as they can hold their breath. In my case it was a dead run straight downhill at me. Third shot I think was a miss. fourth and last shot went between the front legs at about 30 yards and the momentum took the bear right to me, skidding down about 10 ft. away and sliding under a log.

Reloaded the rifle, calmed down, checked the bear (440LB male black mounted here in the house) and then set my rifle against a tree. Grabbed a front paw to try and pull it out from under that fallen log and the paw shook back and forth in my had with nerves. High in the air and back for that rifle I went. Then laughed. Had to go get help to get that thing out from that log, gut and hauled out of there. Cleaned up my pants later.

Bears are not your friend. Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
353 Posts
I have been solo backpacking for over 40 years, I go at least a week every summer. I wouldn't even know who I was if I hadn't spent some real time with just myself!
I have seen literally 100's of black bears over the years but usually I see their butts as they avoid people for the most part. Very careful about hanging my food and not cooking where I camp. Never once had a problem but I do carry bear mace...

Definitely not in Alaska though!

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
I have been solo backpacking for over 40 years, I go at least a week every summer. I wouldn't even know who I was if I hadn't spent some real time with just myself!
I have seen literally 100's of black bears over the years but usually I see their butts as they avoid people for the most part. Very careful about hanging my food and not cooking where I camp. Never once had a problem but I do carry bear mace...

Definitely not in Alaska though!

I think bear mace is like seasoning for their next meal ... you.

Black bears are actually more involved in human attacks than the grizzly/brown because they are more common where people are. Mostly, as you relate, they run away. "Mostly" is the operative word. May you have continued good fortune with all future bear encounters you have, armed or defenseless.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
353 Posts
I think bear mace is like seasoning for their next meal ... you.

Black bears are actually more involved in human attacks than the grizzly/brown because they are more common where people are. Mostly, as you relate, they run away. "Mostly" is the operative word. May you have continued good fortune with all future bear encounters you have, armed or defenseless.
Not too sure about the seasoning part :unsure: but I have never had to use the mace on a bear. I did happen upon a bull elk once was scared enough that i gave him a shot and BOY did he run!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Here in New Mexico, it's illegal to open carry in the national forest, but you can conceal carry if you have a conceal carry permit. Bear and mountain lion are the two main reasons why we carry. Like mentioned above, black bears are typically scared and don't want nothing to do with humans, but just this week, a friend of mine had to call New Mexico Game and Fish because he had a black bear that tried to charge at him multiple times on his property. The very next day, they caught the bear in the trap, and the bear will be relocated.

Reactions: Captainmal
21 - 40 of 42 Posts