RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The current models come standard with 26 gallons with a $75 32 gallon option. Money well spent.
The larger fuel tank is only on the gas models. The diesel has that 8-gal DEF tank which eliminates the larger fuel tank option. In any case, 26 gal of diesel will cost roughly the same as 32 gal of gas and will provide roughly the same range.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
26 Gallons is more than enough. You are already dealing with the light payload ratings of a 1500, so you really don't want any more weight. And, for someone like me who tows, I like stopping every few hours to "drain the radiator" and stretch the legs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seems like the 8 gallon tank would be a perfect water/methanol tank, after a delete. I ran water/meth in a supercharged Tacoma fro 130,000 miles, would have been nice to have a tank that big.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The turbo is already pretty much maxed out even with factory tuning, if deleting and looking for extra performance, I would look into a turbo replacement first and foremost, then maybe add water/meth. I know it says it’s for cooling EGT’s and a little boost in power, but I would definitely not tax the turbo too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Depends on the amount of fuel you use. If you tow you will use more.

While I'm at it, how is a "bigger fuel tank money well spent". Shouldn't sit anymore than 2-3 hours in any vehicle unless you are capable of doing yoga flex and then please don't. Keep your eyes on the road. Too many truckers with blood clots in their legs.

As it is I can drive all the way to my family (6 hours) and back on a tank of fuel (pulling fumes at the end). That's more than enough range in most areas. Those of you out in the long range well I'm truly sorry.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Depends on the amount of fuel you use. If you tow you will use more.

While I'm at it, how is a "bigger fuel tank money well spent". Shouldn't sit anymore than 2-3 hours in any vehicle unless you are capable of doing yoga flex and then please don't. Keep your eyes on the road. Too many truckers with blood clots in their legs.

As it is I can drive all the way to my family (6 hours) and back on a tank of fuel (pulling fumes at the end). That's more than enough range in most areas. Those of you out in the long range well I'm truly sorry.
I would say the biggest benefit to a larger tank isn’t necessarily the increased range, although it is beneficial. The positive for me would have to be the ability to fill up where I want, at possibly a better price. I have a 26 gallon tank in both my Ford 6.7 pickups (short box) and I know I would enjoy some extra fuel capacity because when towing heavy it’s pretty much a 150-200 miles between fill ups. It’s not bad empty, but still is kind of a drag that I have to fill up some places and it’s $.25 to .50 a gallon more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
A big reason I want a large tank and the extra range is when I'm out hunting I don't have to run back to town to fill up the tank as most of my buddies with gassers have to do. It's really nice to fill the thing up and head out to the woods and not worry about running low on fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Coming from an F150 with the 5.0, I could never imagine having a tank smaller than the 36 gall job I had. My buddy had the 2.7 with the smaller tank and even with his increased mpgs he complained about it. I was a little worried about my 26 gall tank in the ED, but I can drive go a day longer with the ED than the 302 on a tank commuting to work. Pulling the TT to Colorado with the 5.0, I still only went about 200 miles before really needing fuel but I agree with you all above and that was about the time I needed a break.

I drive 140 miles roundtrip everyday to work, so with the gasser it was necessary for the bigger tank. With the ED, I think it'd be nice but not a problem in any way.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Tell you what is interesting about this thread ... resurrected from BEFORE there was an Ecodiesel.

Started in October of 2013, the Ecodiesel was a rumor with early press introduction coverage. It was about five months after this thread started that the first Ecociesels were delivered. Heck, this thread is one of the earliest for this forum. C O O L.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts