• Undecided

Votes: 14 14.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many like the RAM Box? I can see how it will be very handy, but losing that much room in the bed has me a little worried?

I just added a poll, be sure to vote!

ram1500-diesel-rambox.jpg

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The RamBox looks like a great option for some people, just not me. I don't think it takes away from useful cargo space and adds easy-to-reach, lockable storage. The downsides are that it is heavy, taking away 120 lbs in payload, and that it prevents putting on a shell or slid-in camper.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm sold on it. I need storage for things like ball mounts, tow straps, tiedowns, etc. I finally found some pictures that explained it better. Makes buying a 3/4ton all the much harder to decide on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Love the idea of the RamBox but what is the difference in width of the bed with and without the RamBox? I ask because I have an ATV that is 50 inches wide.... will it fit with the RamBox?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also like the idea of the Ram Box. It could be useful. But it is not for me as it takes away more space from the interior of the box and as it was mentioned in this thread prevents a shell from being mounted on the truck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Love the idea of the RamBox but what is the difference in width of the bed with and without the RamBox? I ask because I have an ATV that is 50 inches wide.... will it fit with the RamBox?
The spec sheets show the cargo width with the RamBox at the tailgate opening and at the wheelhouses as 48.1 inches. You might want to track one down and measure it yourself, though.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The RamBox looks like a great option for some people, just not me. I don't think it takes away from useful cargo space and adds easy-to-reach, lockable storage. The downsides are that it is heavy, taking away 120 lbs in payload, and that it prevents putting on a shell or slid-in camper.
I don't think there is a slide in camper light enough for the payload on the 1500.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think it is just wide enough for a 4 foot sheet of plywood...with the tailgate down of course.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't think there is a slide in camper light enough for the payload on the 1500.
There are several popups that weigh less than 1000 lbs dry. One has to watch how they are loaded, of course, but they will work for both weight and COG on a stock truck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not sure who could look at the Ram Box and not think it would be handy to have.... fish on ice, hunting or fishing stuff, tow stuff, my daughter's cat...... a handy thing to have around !

I'll probably get a standard bed, but there is no argument, the Ram Box is a cool idea, and handy.

Marsman

·
Registered
274 Posts
The tie downs at the bottom of the bed stick out 1/4" on either side so 1/2" total. Other than that wall to wall is about 49 1/2" maybe 50" but but the way I was holding the tape I got 49.5. For reference my 98 Chevy with drop in liner is 49" between the wells and holds two sport bikes.

Compared to the nonram box sitting next to it only 1/2" is lost in width by adding the ram box. I like those spaces when going to the track because the toolbox or gas cans fist perfect there but id much rather have the Rambox for lockable, out of the weather convenience the other 5 days of the week. And with it I'll get some of the clutter like straps, cables, and extra mount balls out of the cab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone.

I'm obsessed about the Ram 1500. Though I haven't bought one yet, I intend on doing so once all the $ works out. I do about 2 to 3 hours of research and oogling (mind you I dont know the technical parts of a car/truck) but the Ram suits my needs.

DieselDan - to answer your question, the Rambox I find is quite convenient. Im 6ft8 to to reach up and into the cab the box would be with quite easy. Plus its a better alternative for my shorter wife who wouldn't have to climb into the back.

Question, with the Ram box, with the tri-fold over still fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are folding covers, both soft and hard for Rambox versions. I left an open order with my dealer today for a Laramie, CC, 4x4, rambox, with diesel. Hopeful order bank will actually open in near future. Also ordered bak industries hard folding tonneau and bedbug. Keeping my 2001 Dakota with 245,000 miles for the dirty jobs and hopefully keep the new one pretty for as long as possible. Dakota has served well for 13 + years and am expecting same from Ram. Really looking forward to new truck!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I was going to price out the Rambox, and couldn't find it in the build and price. Has anyone seen it in there?

Edit: Research pays. It says only available in Tradesman, Express, Sport, and Laramie Limited.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My salesman was able to select rambox on Laramie trim, but that was with Hemi as the diesel can't be ordered yet. I won't know for sure until actual order is placed. Early statements from company included Laramie which I hope is accurate. If not I'm going to have a pretty useless bak hard folding tonneau.Maybe not so smart to order tonneau before having truck, but end of year price was good. Hope it doesn't bite me in the butt!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts