RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed Ex guy delivered a package today. Big 2500 Ram van with a diesel. He spotted me in the garage working on a drawbar. Came over to deliver and chat. I asked about his diesel.

First he said it was a Mercedes engine. It had 330K on it and ran perfect with no issues. Well, one issue - oil. Seems it has no place to add and/or check the oil level. For that to be done, FedEx has him take it to a Mercedes dealer that has a machine that, someplace, both checks and injects oil into the engine. He assured me there's no fill cap to pour oil in.

Never heard of anything like that until today. Have no reasonable way to confirm it. Sure thought it was interesting and wondering if it's a modification done for Fed Ex to keep people from messing with the oil fill. Otherwise, sure seems silly to me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I drive a Dodge Sprinter 2500 that I use for work. It too has a Mercedes engine. There's no problem checking or adding motor oil with this engine. It's the transmission oil that can't be checked without using a special dipstick. The van itself doesn't come with one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Biggest problem with this engine has been the egr valve. It has to be cleaned at every oil change or expect to replace it at a cost of six to nine hundred.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe that's what he referred to when discussing the oil fill problem?

I may have missed a transmission reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The sprinter vans were/are made by MB. Since Dimlar sold to Fiat... the sprinter is gone, an the new promaster has shown up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm waiting for the promaster diesel to make an appearance. I'm getting 25 mpg on my van now. I'd like to replace it with a van that will get similar mileage. I definitely not going to order one of those vehicles sight unseen like the ED. The new vans have a manual/automatic transmission that I'm not totally sold on without trying it out first and I'm definitely not sold on a gas version that gets 13 mpg.

The sprinter vans were/are made by MB. Since Dimlar sold to Fiat... the sprinter is gone, an the new promaster has shown up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have that same engine in my 2008 jeep grand Cherokee3.0L Mercedes powertrain. EGR is a problem and excessive oil back into the turbo from the PCV. other than that great running truck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts