RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I am a newbie, got a 2015 Ram ecodiesel 3.0 lts with just over 200k kms.

This is mainly for Albertans/Canadians.
How many of you are out there?
How do you care for it, summer,/winter?
City or highway?
Problems?
But please, anybody who owns one, a help will be appreciated

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
734 Posts
Welcome, lots of good info here and everybody is very helpful. Do some reading and it's likely you will find your questions have already been answered in various threads. Also, tell us more about your truck, trim level, features (what cab, bed length, 2wd or 4x4), etc.

I can't speak for the Canadians, but care is mostly regular maintenance (oil change, fuel filter, etc.) check into fuel additives (some use them, some don't), make sure to keep and eye on your coolant level, and check if the EGR recall has been done (I'm not sure if it applies in Canada). Winter is mostly, use the grill cover and plug in the block heater. look into aftermarket tunes, there are a few good ones out there that get great reviews.

All vehicles have problems and the EcoD has it's share. Some people have more trouble than others, and most of the time the biggest gripes are with dealers and FCA, not the truck specifically. Also, forums like this are a hotbed for people coming to complain about their vehicles, so take everything with a grain of salt.

but as I said before, do some reading on your own and you're likely to find all the answers you ever wanted and more! I have lost hours going down some of these rabbit holes :)

Reactions: KRom and dave_gat88

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, lots of good info here and everybody is very helpful. Do some reading and it's likely you will find your questions have already been answered in various threads. Also, tell us more about your truck, trim level, features (what cab, bed length, 2wd or 4x4), etc.

I can't speak for the Canadians, but care is mostly regular maintenance (oil change, fuel filter, etc.) check into fuel additives (some use them, some don't), make sure to keep and eye on your coolant level, and check if the EGR recall has been done (I'm not sure if it applies in Canada). Winter is mostly, use the grill cover and plug in the block heater. look into aftermarket tunes, there are a few good ones out there that get great reviews.

All vehicles have problems and the EcoD has it's share. Some people have more trouble than others, and most of the time the biggest gripes are with dealers and FCA, not the truck specifically. Also, forums like this are a hotbed for people coming to complain about their vehicles, so take everything with a grain of salt.

but as I said before, do some reading on your own and you're likely to find all the answers you ever wanted and more! I have lost hours going down some of these rabbit holes :)
Thanks so much for your reply.
It's an SLT, crewcab, short bed. I am waiting for Dodge to sent me the letter to get the recall done, I have been checking the coolant level and I refilled it with their product as it was low. (which cost me $48 CDN, holy crap haha) everything else seems to be working fine.
I have read a lot about its problems that sometimes I wish I hadn't bought it haha. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in the edmonton area, I have a 2016 big horn 4x4 since new, with the air suspension. I have over 100kilos of trouble free so far, my drive habits is a mix of city/ hwy, and pull a 5000 lb travel trailer with 20k of kilometers on it.i GDE tuned it since 20 k. I do all my oil changes and maintenance. I try to avoid the dealership as much as possible.i choose to invest in a tune rather than extended warranty.and have avoided any ecm upgrades for truck.it has been a solid running truck exceeded my expectations.watch your coolant fluid in degas tank and get a tune to turn off the soot making demonic egr I have had it in the dealership for some. Of the recalls but told them not to flash the ecm. But since the AGM upgrade would not take it in now . I know of two other eco owners with over 100k on them and have no problems but they get on the hwy and pulling trailers ,got to work them city driving full time not healthy for them IMO

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
253 Posts
I'm in between Edmonton and Calgary. Only had my EcoD for few months but so far love it.

When I got it the previous owner did the DEF delete and tune. Since then I've done the EGR stage 2 delete, got rid of the muffler and resonators and got rid of the intake baffles. Plan on getting it retuned soon. I really want to GDE but our exchange rate is horrific. Looking at using CCS in Leduc as it's more affordable and local. I know lots of Cummins guys who have went there and great reviews.

Also installed a B&W 16k non slider 5th wheel hitch for my 27ft okanagan and timbrens for rear suspension. Pulls it like a dream. On flat or small inclines I get same mileage as my 5.7 hemi was getting empty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2017 laramie with 3.92 gear . So driving is mix of trailer, between Edmonton and Calgary as well. I say summer driving averages between 9L/100Km and winter is like 11-12L/100KM. I have the GDE engine and transmission tune, but still at stage 1 delete.

I think I would like to do stage 2 delete because I'm bound to get some issues with DEF (but so far no issues with anything). Seems like a lot of Canadians are getting stage 2 deletes in addition to engine tuning (??)

I just do my own oil changes, fuel filters, etc.. But that's about all I want to do and the truck is at 75KM now.

So I'm wondering if:

-I should get stage 2? Do VB1?
-buy GDE OBD tool so I can do stage 2 easier locally and service muffler at the same time?
-I don't even have a diesel mechanic I go to should I have problems. Now, I'm don't have any problems but want to be a little more proactive, but unsure of what to do next.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
253 Posts
The reason i went stage 2 is the EGR will begin go leak eventually. Jts not a question of IF but WHEN. It's a pain in the arse to do though so be prepared. The exhaust manifold bolts are the worst. Use some sort of spray to help losen the bolts.

I'm running an unknown tune (2nd owner) but will be getting GDE tuned engine and tranny eventually.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I live in the edmonton area, I have a 2016 big horn 4x4 since new, with the air suspension. I have over 100kilos of trouble free so far, my drive habits is a mix of city/ hwy, and pull a 5000 lb travel trailer with 20k of kilometers on it.i GDE tuned it since 20 k. I do all my oil changes and maintenance. I try to avoid the dealership as much as possible.i choose to invest in a tune rather than extended warranty.and have avoided any ecm upgrades for truck.it has been a solid running truck exceeded my expectations.watch your coolant fluid in degas tank and get a tune to turn off the soot making demonic egr I have had it in the dealership for some. Of the recalls but told them not to flash the ecm. But since the AGM upgrade would not take it in now . I know of two other eco owners with over 100k on them and have no problems but they get on the hwy and pulling trailers ,got to work them city driving full time not healthy for them IMO
How does your air ride work in winter? Heard they work good in summer but our wonderful winters and -30 it doesn't work so well.

I specifically looked for one without air and just put in the timbres works good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a pretty new 2017 ED owner as well, in Moose Jaw, SK. 36km on the clock; I've put 3k on since buying the truck earlier in the summer. I wanted to put some miles on before deciding if I should get a tune and/or trans tune. I am pretty sure I am going to go ahead at this point. Getting rid of the cold start throttle delay is a good enough reason on its own, and coupled with the widely held opinion on this board that shutting off the EGR is the most important thing you can do to prolong engine life, it seems like a must. Likewise tuning to reduce soot production, thereby reducing regens and decreasing the odds of clogging the particulate filter up or, god forbid, having to replace it. The fast idle feature also seems like a really good idea in our cold climate. Improved power and fuel economy is just gravy, as both are excellent anyway. I'm still a little bit on the fence regarding the transmission tune, but I think I will go that way to improve drivability with rolling stops, etc. My understanding is that most trans tunes really help when towing too, which I haven't done yet, but will be very soon. I have looked very closely at MR Tuning out of Quebec, sold through Ecodiesel Owners Canada, who undoubtedly have the best price in this country, but ultimately I think I will go with GDE due to their track record, and the fact that those reviewing them and their competitors all seem to agree that their tune reduces regens by the biggest margin; I will be doing quite a bit of short trip, around town driving in the winter, so keeping the particulate filter from loading up seems very important.

Regarding the air suspension, when I was shopping I asked a couple of salespeople about it, and the reply I got was that those dealerships simply don't bring them in; their experience has been that they are very problematic in our climate, so they just don't order the trucks with that option any more. At all. I found that fairly convincing.

Last point with regard to our winters; I think I am going to install a little battery tender under the hood, and intend to plug it in every time I use the block heater. I understand there is a heater to prevent the DEF from freezing that kicks in when ambient temperature warrants, and I don't want to see my battery sucked dry if I don't drive the truck for a few days, which can definitely happen in retirement. I used to have that problem with my Ridgeline, brought on by the little flashing light that was part of the aftermarket command start system. Don't want a repeat with the ED!

Good luck with your "new" truck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
DPF delete, EGR delete stage 2 preferred, engine and transmission tune. I'm quite certain doing these will eleviate a lot of issues with the ecoD or any new diesel for that matter. Thankfully in Canada we can still do this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I have 2015 Laramie and live In Saskatoon sk my truck has air suspension and bought new put the GDE stage 2 delete on when it had about 500 km .I did keep original ecm so have switched it back and forth if I took to dealer truck has 92.000 km with out any issues egr was replaced one month ago under warranty but was not giving trouble just warranty recall I do put hot shot additives in my truck most importantly I think is the LX4 fuel treatment every day treatment.I have always done my own oil and fuel filter changes and use shell rotela t-6 oil.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I never had DEF issues yet...only have engine and transmission tuned, no coolant loss as well.
I think the big thing is that the DPF does eventually have issues and gets clogged. And none of the components are cheap to replace or repair. To save from the hassle of when this will happen not if, some delete these emissions components from the start. I do a lot of towing and want to eliminate as many possibilities of issues as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the big thing is that the DPF does eventually have issues and gets clogged. And none of the components are cheap to replace or repair. To save from the hassle of when this will happen not if, some delete these emissions components from the start. I do a lot of towing and want to eliminate as many possibilities of issues as possible.
I have the same thinking as you with regards to DPF becoming clogged over time. Also last year in edmonton it's been like -30C and everything is fine. But so far, with GDE tuning, the regeneration time is about 15 minutes and every 700 km or so..it's quite predictable. How does one know if the DPF is getting clogged anyways? But yes, eventually, I think I will go full delete.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am a pretty new 2017 ED owner as well, in Moose Jaw, SK. 36km on the clock; I've put 3k on since buying the truck earlier in the summer. I wanted to put some miles on before deciding if I should get a tune and/or trans tune. I am pretty sure I am going to go ahead at this point. Getting rid of the cold start throttle delay is a good enough reason on its own, and coupled with the widely held opinion on this board that shutting off the EGR is the most important thing you can do to prolong engine life, it seems like a must. Likewise tuning to reduce soot production, thereby reducing regens and decreasing the odds of clogging the particulate filter up or, god forbid, having to replace it. The fast idle feature also seems like a really good idea in our cold climate. Improved power and fuel economy is just gravy, as both are excellent anyway. I'm still a little bit on the fence regarding the transmission tune, but I think I will go that way to improve drivability with rolling stops, etc. My understanding is that most trans tunes really help when towing too, which I haven't done yet, but will be very soon. I have looked very closely at MR Tuning out of Quebec, sold through Ecodiesel Owners Canada, who undoubtedly have the best price in this country, but ultimately I think I will go with GDE due to their track record, and the fact that those reviewing them and their competitors all seem to agree that their tune reduces regens by the biggest margin; I will be doing quite a bit of short trip, around town driving in the winter, so keeping the particulate filter from loading up seems very important.

Regarding the air suspension, when I was shopping I asked a couple of salespeople about it, and the reply I got was that those dealerships simply don't bring them in; their experience has been that they are very problematic in our climate, so they just don't order the trucks with that option any more. At all. I found that fairly convincing.

Last point with regard to our winters; I think I am going to install a little battery tender under the hood, and intend to plug it in every time I use the block heater. I understand there is a heater to prevent the DEF from freezing that kicks in when ambient temperature warrants, and I don't want to see my battery sucked dry if I don't drive the truck for a few days, which can definitely happen in retirement. I used to have that problem with my Ridgeline, brought on by the little flashing light that was part of the aftermarket command start system. Don't want a repeat with the ED!

Good luck with your "new" truck!
If you go GDE ask if you can have the Canadian tune that shut off the EGR completely, apparently the newer GDE tune in the U.S. does not shut off the EGR it reduces EGR use but no longer shuts it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also haven’t had any DEF issues but I do clean DEF injectors yearly I did the GDE tune in 2015 and have all the Add ons but don’t have transmission tuned and I’m happy with how it shifts so far. I have had 40 amp fuse go on me once for air suspension .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
While shutting the EGR off wth a tune is a huge step forward the EGR coolers are flawed and will eventually start leaking. Stage 2 delete of the EGR is also extremely important. It was fairly easy to do. Hardest part was the exhaust manifold bolts.

·
Registered
504 Posts
While shutting the EGR off wth a tune is a huge step forward the EGR coolers are flawed and will eventually start leaking. Stage 2 delete of the EGR is also extremely important. It was fairly easy to do. Hardest part was the exhaust manifold bolts.
IMO it is highly likely the EGR coolers are failing largely from being blasted with very high heat straight out of the engine, my EGT hit 1420 deg F on one hill when pulling my RV.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've seen significantly higher than 1420F when pulling before backing out of the throttle to keep EGT's below 1550F which is apparently the OEM fuel de-rate temperature.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How does your air ride work in winter? Heard they work good in summer but our wonderful winters and -30 it doesn't work so well.

I specifically looked for one without air and just put in the timbres works good.
My air suspension did freeze two winters ago driving from Calgary to Edmonton in -30c. Had to put it in a heated garage to thaw out. This is not a closed loop system. There is a intake and out take filter behind passenger tail light. I added some air brake antifreeze in intake and had not had a problem last winter. It is part of my fall maintenance program to add some in fall.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts