RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted previously about fuel pump (lift pump) concerns with my 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I have decided to go ahead and replace the lift pump to see if it corrects my issue (hard start when fuel is below 1/4 tank).
Has anyone here tackled the lift pump replacement on their own. I’m fairly mechanically inclined, and would like to do this myself if possible.
Any suggestions as to what pump to purchase and helpful hints for the replacement procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Usually the best and easiest way is to remove the bed of the truck, Everything is quick disconnect’s about 8 bolts 2 or 3 friends some beer and good attitudes and a place to set the bed , I never drop fuel tanks if I don’t have to . This method makes it easier for me ,others may have a different opinion.. Not a big deal .. And check all components for cracks or leaks very carefully , Good Luck and please post some pictures along with your final outcome!!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I had to replace one in my 2005 hemi Ram. We did it at my mechanics garage on a lift. After disconnecting fuel fill (you will have to do the DEF fill hose as well), we put a transmission jack under and lowered the tank down enough to remove wires and the pump from the tank. It only took an hour, with 2 guys. I have removed a bed as well for rust proofing the 05. That may require more than 2 people, unless they are weight lifters. If you have an overhead hoist, removing the bed is a good way to go. Put Neversieze on the bolts when you reinstall the bed. I'd try to use an oem Mopar pump. I made the mistake of using one from O'Reilleys that was made in China, pos lasted 6 month, oem one lasted 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both of your inputs. I have read some other info recommending lifting the bed instead of dropping the tank. I may give that a try.

And I appreciate the tip to use the OEM pump also. Sometimes saving a few dollars on the aftermarket stuff is a false sense of economy.

·
Administrator
9,829 Posts
Thanks for both of your inputs. I have read some other info recommending lifting the bed instead of dropping the tank. I may give that a try.

And I appreciate the tip to use the OEM pump also. Sometimes saving a few dollars on the aftermarket stuff is a false sense of economy.

Good luck with the replacement and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I have been putting off the fuel pump replacement by keeping the fuel level well above 1/4 tank to avoid the hard start condition and avoid the cost of a fuel pump replacement.

Procrastination has paid off once again. With the recent FCA Ecodiesel settlement the lift pump/low pressure fuel pump is now apparently covered under the settlement’s extended warranty coverage. I took my vehicle in for the settlement recall and scheduled my fuel pump replacement a week later. The pump is on backorder, but should be in stock within a few days and the local dealer has confirmed that all replacement costs will be covered under the FCA extended warranty.

Thanks for all of your help on this site.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Why disconnect the def fill line? Separate lines going to separate tanks.
Because when the bed is lifted off the frame the DEF hose is connected to the area behind the fuel door just like the fuel fill hose. Both have to be disconnected to lift up the bed.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been experiencing the hard/long start problem for maybe 9 months now and the dealership has proven to be incompetent at fixing this issue. The dealership had my truck for 5 weeks out of the past 2 months and did not fix it. I've noticed a trend that my fuel level has been between 1/8 - 1/4 with around 75-85 miles remaining when I have the hard/long start. Today with ~75 miles to empty, my truck died while driving and this was first time this has happened. Did replacing your fuel pump fix the hard/long start issue?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Crasch....According to post 7 you should be covered by the extended warranty? BTW after you have your lift pump replaced , I’d keep my tank always above 1/4 , not a good idea running these trucks low on fuel , and apparently now it’s stalling? Again not good ,this will now starve your cp4 pump dry , and if It craps out you’ll be dishing out about 8k for Basically a new fuel system....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been experiencing the hard/long start problem for maybe 9 months now and the dealership has proven to be incompetent at fixing this issue. The dealership had my truck for 5 weeks out of the past 2 months and did not fix it. I've noticed a trend that my fuel level has been between 1/8 - 1/4 with around 75-85 miles remaining when I have the hard/long start. Today with ~75 miles to empty, my truck died while driving and this was first time this has happened. Did replacing your fuel pump fix the hard/long start issue?
Hello Crasch. Sorry it took me so long to reply to your post. For some reason, I didn’t see it until today. To answer your question, yes, the lift pump replacement solved my hard start problem that I was experiencing when my Ram went below 1/4 tank of fuel. Before the lift pump was replaced (under the RAM extended warranty due to the recall) I also experienced the vehicle dying on occasion when fuel tank was low. The lift pump replacement fixed both problems for me, and the extended warranty paid 100% of the replacement cost.

However, I now make sure to refill my fuel tank whenever I get to approximately 150 miles of fuel left (about 1/4 tank). I’m a believer that low fuel conditions cause these pumps to crap out prematurely due to the high temperature of the fuel that is returned to the tank causing the fuel pump to overheat.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Your dealer should know that this is a fuel pump/lift pump issue and that it is now covered under warranty. If he doesn’t, contact the RAM recall hotline and ask for them to intervene.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our lift pump went out and i thought it was covered under AEM warranty but it only went to 120,000 according to dealer and ours has 133,000 on it. Anyway the factory pump is on 3wk back order so i went with a delphi from rock auto. I lifted the bed and saw that the pump is half under the cab on the ecodiesel so I dropped tank with a floor jack enough to get the old pump out. Just hoping new one will be good and last. Good news i can get rid of EGR extra weight now without worrying about warranty. Service man said since i already have it turned off it should last forever! My 2cents on the lift pump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear it wasn’t under the extended warranty. I don’t understand why it would be out of warranty at 120,000, but it seems like FCA dealerships make their own rules sometimes regarding what’s under warranty. The good news is the lift pump you installed will likely outlast the OEM replacement pump that’s on back order.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pump from rock auto didn't ship within a week and two days after it was supposed to arrive so we canceled and got one from parts geek. Box said made in USA, maybe. Lot of diesel residue and dirt on filler neck from vent i guess. Glad I lifted the bed just so I could see everything. Uneventful going back together except the chain hoist skipping a couple links. Primed it 3 times and started right up. The pump does sound quieter so I guess I should have caught it before it went completely out. Even with all the stuff going on with these trucks it still the best vehicle we have ever owned. Taking egr cooler off sometime this fall. Looking for many more miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why do the ecodiesel in tank pump call for 45-65 psi? FASS pumps put out 16 from what i read but i'm sure they have more flow with their design. I wanted to change over but wasn't sure about pressure. Are you running a FASS pump?

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes, it installs on frame and has a lifetime warranty and you don't have to drop the tank again if it goes out. go to there website for more info, also check out airdog,
some say its better than Fass.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Why do the ecodiesel in tank pump call for 45-65 psi? FASS pumps put out 16 from what i read but i'm sure they have more flow with their design. I wanted to change over but wasn't sure about pressure. Are you running a FASS pump?
The cp4.2 pump our engines have requires a much higher lift pump pressure even the fass runs 55 psi. Older cp3 pumps like 15 psi.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
fass told me they use there largest pump with smallest gear to keep enough lift pump pressure for the our cp4
Are you still happy with your FASS pump? I like that you can run extra fuel filtration.

Reactions: djr
1 - 20 of 27 Posts