RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice I have had a huge loss of power while driving sustained moderate uphill, towing 6000-7000 pounds. Dropped from 60 to 35mph in left lane, nearly caused accident both times. Highly unsafe.
No warning lights or out of limits gauge readings. Coolant temp 236° and 239° at time of loss of power. No dings, chimes or warnings. First incident happened a few days prior, also no out of limit gauge readings, warnings or anything. Unsure of other gauges, could only glance at the gauge cluster both times.
This is a huge issue. I don't tow all of the time, but I do tow 6-7k occasionally and this is a serious safety concern. Have only had this issue when towing.
I haven't been able to find anyone else that has had this happen. Everything else I find with loss of power comes with check engine lights or something like that.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
What was the oil temp.? The engine will derate at something like 265° F. I forget the exact number. Oh and stay out of the left lane when towing heavy uphill. :eek:
The EVIC warning is at 265º and the OP claims no dash warnings. I think the derate is 270º or similar. I've hit 265º a few times before the oil cooler install and no derate.

I'd be taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not 100% sure the exact oil temperature, but it was right around the same temp as the coolant. Nothing was red when I looked down either time. The truck just lost power under cruise, dropped from 4000 to 3000 rpm (instantly) and didn't respond when I floored it.

I am waiting on my appointment with the local service department for next week.

I am used to towing with the Cummins, where I didn't have to worry about things like hills. Should have never gotten rid of it...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I can't stand to rev mine to 4k when towing. I'll let it downshift once from 3k to 3400 but I'll usually turn cruise off before the next downshift to 3800.

It could be a safeguard due to high EGT since you're running 4000 rpm with a heavy load.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Pushing the towing limits of the Ecodiesel, especially at speed up hills often leads to heat issues. You are not reporting that as the problem. How about fuel? Could there be a restriction in the fuel filter to cause fuel starvation?

If it happens again look at th oil temperature. Under those towing conditions it is often the first thing that goes way up in temperature. Most often it is above coolant temperatures under hard towing loads. Here is a picture I took a while ago while towing too fast on an Interstate. I was more testing the transmission temperature when I took this as back then I had to fix a problem I had with it. In this photo I am towing too fast, transmission is fine, coolant is up but look at the oil temperature. It is not too hot here but can and does go up into the 260 range without trouble with the coolant.

yckF75bBSc2w7W3hISZ15Q by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Take a look at yours the next time.

·
Administrator
8,293 Posts
I am not 100% sure the exact oil temperature, but it was right around the same temp as the coolant. Nothing was red when I looked down either time. The truck just lost power under cruise, dropped from 4000 to 3000 rpm (instantly) and didn't respond when I floored it.

I am waiting on my appointment with the local service department for next week.

I am used to towing with the Cummins, where I didn't have to worry about things like hills. Should have never gotten rid of it...
My oil temp is always approx.10% higher than the coolant temp whether I'm towing or not. Not saying yours was, but if it was you would be right about derate temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
I tow TTs commercially. After hitting 266 oil or 244 water the computer will pull fuel & derate power. Just limit your sustained ascent rpms to 3k and you should stay below derate. So maybe instead of climbing at 60 you are only climbing at 55 but never derate to 35. I like to watch the screen that shows these temps when climbing a grade.

I also have both GDE engine & transmission tunes. They bring on & allow more power to the wheels earlier plus a host of other great benefits that improve well about everything power mileage turbo brake clean oil less check engine lights etc. I also switched my restrictive Long Horn grill for the free flowing honeycomb design that you get with the SLT grill which helped. I also have the benefit of the 3.92 gear. Last Green Diesel now has a lower temp slightly larger mouth thermostat that is supposed to help. I now have that but have not yet installed it. Little bit of simple management should have no trouble climbing grades with that weight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure about fuel starvation, anything is possible. The oil temperature was usually running neck and neck with the coolant temp, when I had been looking at it. I have the same screen up when towing, so that I can monitor the temperatures.

What other aftermarket items are out there to help increase cooling? I have the Laramie grill, which looks more restrictive than the big horn. But I imagine there are oil and transmission coolers out there. And the thermostat is a good place to start. Towing a load I have noticed the coolant temp tended to stay in the 225-240 degree range. I saw a high of 241 at one point.

It makes me miss the Cummins every time I tow something. Although 8mpg in daily driving is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I run a 200k btu external oil cooler that drastically lowers oil temps. It also lowers coolant temps a bit.

Pulling my 8k toy Hauler through the hills of southern IN now, running 215 coolant and 205 oil while gilding 65 uphill.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can't stand to rev mine to 4k when towing. I'll let it downshift once from 3k to 3400 but I'll usually turn cruise off before the next downshift to 3800.

It could be a safeguard due to high EGT since you're running 4000 rpm with a heavy load.
I’ve never seen any derate messages but I would lean toward the EGTs if he is saying the oil and coolant temps never hit the red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
You won’t see a derate message only experience what OP described when pushed hard enough. The ultimate solution that we have so far is what Bounty has. Well or the 2020 available this fall. :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Running empty down the road my water and oil are about the same temp but if I hook up a lawn mower trailer the oil goes up, hook up the TT and oil takes a big step up. I 100% think oil debate, seems to be about the only sweater we hear about.

·
Registered
741 Posts
When towing my oil temp can shoot up very fast while the coolant will lag. The highest oil temp I've seen is 259 F.

I tow around 5000 lbs.

If I try going 65 mph while towing up a steep grade I'll end up with a very hot engine.

I don't try to "force" my truck over the passes when towing. I'll back it off, keep the rpms in the upper 2750-3000 range, and what ever the speed is, it is. Usually around 45-55 mph.

And turn off my cruise control! Sometimes in the deserts, grades are hard to see, until the CC launches the engine to 4000 rpms!

I have a Tradesman 2017, the grill is very unrestricted with large holes. I've yet to have a derate incident.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it to the dealer, and unsurprisingly there were no codes or anything. They couldn't duplicate the issue. Go figure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably either that, or EGT. But no codes or warnings. It makes me wonder if the GDE tuner will really help by itself. Are there any affordable ways to add an oil cooler? I saw a couple kits for $1k, that's a little excessive.

·
Administrator
8,293 Posts
Probably either that, or EGT. But no codes or warnings. It makes me wonder if the GDE tuner will really help by itself. Are there any affordable ways to add an oil cooler? I saw a couple kits for $1k, that's a little excessive.
I'm sure Bounty Hunter can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I tow 7400-7800lbs and Summers are hot in the SE. But when I hit a hill, I let the truck slow down. I swapped out my Laramie grill for a Tradesman grill and that got me a 4deg temp drop when the engine is under strain. The truck is not normally >225deg towing and if it hit 230deg I would just keep slowing down.

Our truck is only 240hp and it's radiator is under-speced for a water-cooled turbo engine. Go easy on it when climbing.

With some luck the 2020 radiator will be available for us as a retrofit soon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts