RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t figure out why my shock on passenger side is doing this. This is second shock that’s done it. They are the bilstein 5100s set on second to highest adjustment for level. 4wheels parts doesn’t know why it did it the first time now a week after new shock it did it again. Any ideas???

·
Registered
352 Posts
It is not a shock. It is a strut. It looks like the strut 'hat' may have failed. The nut looks tight. The strut Cartridge maybe to long and pushed thru the hat. Was it a complete strut change'with spring and hat' or just a cartridge change ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not a shock. It is a strut. It looks like the strut 'hat' may have failed. The nut looks tight. The strut Cartridge maybe to long and pushed thru the hat. Was it a complete strut change'with spring and hat' or just a cartridge change ?
replaced the complete strut. It must be the hat failed

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's not entirely correct.

A strut encompasses both the spring and shock in one unit rather than the two components being separated. In our trucks the shock can be removed and replaced without doing anything with the spring. To replace the shock component in a strut the complete unit is removed, the spring is compressed to release pressure on the upper and lower spring perches on the strut and then the spring is compressed and installed on the new strut.

I can't be sure what happened to the OP's shock other than it is too long when compressed for the truck. I've had struts blow apart like that - right through the top hat - but never a shock.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's not entirely correct.

A strut encompasses both the spring and shock in one unit rather than the two components being separated. In our trucks the shock can be removed and replaced without doing anything with the spring. To replace the shock component in a strut the complete unit is removed, the spring is compressed to release pressure on the upper and lower spring perches on the strut and then the spring is compressed and installed on the new strut.

I can't be sure what happened to the OP's shock other than it is too long when compressed for the truck. I've had struts blow apart like that - right through the top hat - but never a shock.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased a new top hat. Was planning on changing it out today but 4wheel parts must have over torque lugs. Can’t get them broke loose. Going to have them do the work again incase they mess something up. So far not happy with 4wheel parts work. They should have noticed the problem and tried to figure out the problem instead of just replacing a shock that still works perfectly . They won’t warranty work and so I have to pay labor again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts