RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is this one of those trick questions? LOL. Let's not get caught up in semantics. I changed it the same way most do.
That’s why I was curious, completely changing the fluid would be a tall order to do at home. I’m of the thinking that changing all of the fluid at once (as in a flush) is not needed if you regularly drain and fill to replenish the additives in the fluid that get used up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
reason for going 100K miles on original tranny oil , and less miles on second , and following transmission oil changes ,
the % of new oil is lower , ( 50% as good a guess as any other ).
after looking at images in reluctor ring threads , there is no plate that can be removed anyway
at the bottom of the bell housing , so no way to turn torque converter to align a drain plug on it ,
you can see torque converter only if you remove the starter .
Engine sticks out under transmission , no access to drain torque converter there .
even with access , no drain plug on torque .
That recirculation method described in post # 16 , by zsqure , ( similar to post # 14 in same thread ???)
in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-transmission/43218-how-change-transmission-fluid-check.html
be the only way , but way expensive .....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I havent seen a proper dump and flush yet but imagine the same as doing ,.. lets say 1999 ram,..whereby u hook onto the lines and flush it properly,

so if they get a portion of the fluid out and get the filter replaced it seems adequate to simply do the dump and fill method, and load that new fluid with the old muck.

Probably guessing but u might get 50% of new fluid,,mixed with old cooler line fluid , torque converter and the transfer line fluid and then close ur eyes and not think about that part , hahaa
These transmissions drain most of the fluid back to the pan when shutdown simply drain and refilled well change 75% of the fluid. Yes that means there is still two or three quarts of old fluid but that is why you change it before it gets to be old muck. Conventional flush machines are just fluid exchangers and wont work with these transmissions unless you get it hot enough to send all the fluid to the cooler 190-200 F or more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do it at 100k at a competent place other than the dealer. Print off the instructions from the transmission section and bring that and the fluid with you so that all you are paying them for is the labor. Bet it’s less than 1/2 what a Ram dealership would charge you.
i bought extended warranty. Now have 62,000, I have read where it should be changed between 60,000 and 75,000 miles. Will it void warranty if I had a transmission shop change the oil. And filter.

·
Super Moderator
3,310 Posts
Empi, Well I wouldn't know why it would. Do you regularly operate your truck in a very dusty environment? (severe duty) That you want to change it already. If not I have changed mine 6 times or after every 100k with 650.000 miles towing trailers so far with no issues. Plan to change it again at 700k. Plus you know the original fluid is under the powertrain warranty to 100k.

Reactions: DrivingZiggy

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No, I changed my fluid completely and added the oversized aluminum trans pan from PPE. Pan is sweet. Added capacity, extra cooling, a serviceable filter, and a drain plug that actually works.
I'm thinking about going with the PPE. In your opinion, is it worth it?

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
333 Posts
also leaning toward this when it's time for trans service for ours. I have run oversized aluminum finned pans on all our previous trucks, keeps the oil cooler and make services easier.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
also leaning toward this when it's time for trans service for ours. I have run oversized aluminum finned pans on all our previous trucks, keeps the oil cooler and make services easier.
I had the Mag-Hytec transmission pan on our 2006 Cummins. Every 30,000 miles, I would do the drain and fill method using Amsoil ATF. I'm a little confused if that method would work as effectively on the EcoDiesel ZF 8HP70???

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had the Mag-Hytec transmission pan on our 2006 Cummins. Every 30,000 miles, I would do the drain and fill method using Amsoil ATF. I'm a little confused if that method would work as effectively on the EcoDiesel ZF 8HP70???
I think the service frequency is a lot further apart on the newer transmission.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think the service frequency is a lot further apart on the newer transmission.
The recommended interval is farther apart, but in order to keep the additive package in the system, it might be best to maintain the 30,000 interval. If you keep the magnetic drain plug clean on the pan, there really isn't a need to change the main filter as often.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The recommended interval is farther apart, but in order to keep the additive package in the system, it might be best to maintain the 30,000 interval. If you keep the magnetic drain plug clean on the pan, there really isn't a need to change the main filter as often.
We have had users sample fluid that was over 150k factory fill that came back acceptable.

Vern changes his at 100k intervals and I can say i think he puts it through pretty vigorous use. Changing as 30k on these trucks would be a complete waste.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We have had users sample fluid that was over 150k factory fill that came back acceptable.

Vern changes his at 100k intervals and I can say i think he puts it through pretty vigorous use. Changing as 30k on these trucks would be a complete waste.
I do a lot of towing, but not as much as Vern. It is quite amazing that Vern's transmission has held up as well as it has. With that said, I would like to focus on the cost to benefit of the aftermarket pan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the dealer does the service, nearly all the old fluid is replaced with the new fluid, right? Therefore, after a dealer transmission service, the entire system has fresh fluid. The drain and fill method (PPE pan), however, leaves a fair amount of old fluid in the system (lines, torque convertor, etc), correct? While I agree that there would be some degree of waste with the drain and fill method, wouldn't it still be cheaper and peace of mind doing a 30,000 miles drain and fill interval? Even if 30,000 miles seems extreme, the owner could extend the drain and fill out to 50,000 intervals.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I may be wrong, but i think Vern does a drain/fill every 100k miles. I do not believe he is doing a flush.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Im getting close to changin mine for the first time between 90-100k miles. I will replace the filter pan with a new one and from here on i will only change the fluid and reuse that filter pan from here on out

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I may be wrong, but i think Vern does a drain/fill every 100k miles. I do not believe he is doing a flush.
That would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Im getting close to changin mine for the first time between 90-100k miles. I will replace the filter pan with a new one and from here on i will only change the fluid and reuse that filter pan from here on out
I'm at 88,000 miles, so I want to get mine done soon. I just ordered Amsoil ATF last week. I'm now thinking about getting the PPE pan. That would make drain and fill intervals super easy going forward. I'm towing some pretty big loads, so I know the heat buildup has to be hard on the fluid.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wasn’t able to get the drain plug on the factory pan out. Granted you will be going it more frequently so it may not be a problem, but I had to permanently open mine with a drill bit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm at 88,000 miles, so I want to get mine done soon. I just ordered Amsoil ATF last week. I'm now thinking about getting the PPE pan. That would make drain and fill intervals super easy going forward. I'm towing some pretty big loads, so I know the heat buildup has to be hard on the fluid.

I was hesitant about the $$ for the PPE pan, but it is a nice piece. No regrets!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I was hesitant about the $$ for the PPE pan, but it is a nice piece. No regrets!
I read quite a few reviews on the PPE pan and I didn't hear any negative feedback. Most people who buy the pan seem to do it for the ease of serviceability. The added capacity and cooling benefit is a nice bonus, too.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts