RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There is no good way to flush these transmissions even a dealership well just change the pan and refill. While that wont get all the fluid out it well get most.
I gotcha. So the money I save by not going to the dealer can be used to buy the PPE pan to make my own services much easier. Looks like I'll be placing an order for a PPE pan!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I'm thinking about going with the PPE. In your opinion, is it worth it?
Yes, very much worth it. I went with one in the raw finish and it looks like it is one with the transmission, like it was meant to be there.

I too couldn't get the drain plug out of the stock plastic pan. I think it might just be molded there for looks.

I had my stock fluid tested when changed at 70k miles and it tested good, with plenty of heavy towing. I'll probably stick with this interval. I used Valvoline MaxLife fluid and made my own fluid transfer pump from a $10 gallon pump sprayer. Plastic 90º elbow at the end of the 1/2" clear tubing fits right into the fill hole and easily clears the DPF.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes, very much worth it. I went with one in the raw finish and it looks like it is one with the transmission, like it was meant to be there.

I too couldn't get the drain plug out of the stock plastic pan. I think it might just be molded there for looks.

I had my stock fluid tested when changed at 70k miles and it tested good, with plenty of heavy towing. I'll probably stick with this interval. I used Valvoline MaxLife fluid and made my own fluid transfer pump from a $10 gallon pump sprayer. Plastic 90º elbow at the end of the 1/2" clear tubing fits right into the fill hole and easily clears the DPF.
Thank you. Lots of good info. I ordered mine with the brushed finish. I think I will pull a transmission sample as well. Where did you pull your sample from?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Thank you. Lots of good info. I ordered mine with the brushed finish. I think I will pull a transmission sample as well. Where did you pull your sample from?
I dropped the pan to drain it and grabbed a sample when about halfway done draining.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I dropped the pan to drain it and grabbed a sample when about halfway done draining.
Gotcha. Is there a dip stick tube that I can draw from? I have a UOA pump.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No. You can crack open the fill hole next to the DPF, some have gotten a sample from there.
That's what I'll probably do. I've done some hard towing, so I'm curious.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts