1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
366 Posts
Since the Ram 1500 with the VM Diesel has been announced, everyone is following.

Nissan Titan with the Cummins 5.0 V8
Nissan Frontier with a Cummins 2.8 I4
Ford F150 with a 3.0l V6
Chevrolet Colorado with a diesel
and now...
Toyota Tundra with a Cummins 5.0 V8
2016 Toyota Tundra to Come With Cummins Diesel » AutoGuide.com News
For the record, the colorado has been a successful Euro-market vehicle for a few years, and the rest of the manufacturers have almost always had diesel offerings overseas they just didn't have the Cummins, which is only a household name in North America for the most part. Its Dodge who got to the party late, they just had the first Afterparty.

·
Registered
279 Posts
fellows, every one of these is a compromise of some sort;
Colorado/Canyon, some say is "not a real truck". .... but for many folks, it will be all the truck most people need..... towing of over 7000, and better payload than the Ram 1500.... but not as big as a full size half ton.....and the 2.8 Duramax, looks to have all the torque and economy to fit most needs.....
Can't tow a 10,000 pound trailer.... ok.

Ram 1500, poor payload, but great motor and transmission, V6 will rev, and with the 8 speed, even with the 19% parasitic loss reported in Truck Trend on the dyno, it's a great package..... will tow over 8000 in most trims, full size truck, superb quality.... great economy.... performance..ok, not great.....

Ford - not sure what the 3.0 Lion V6 will be like, motor has been out for few years, not in USA.

Cummins 5.0, this borders on overkill for a half ton.. really it is more like a 3/4 ton lite.... remember the 2000 5.9 cummins had 235 hp, and 460 lb ft of torque.... the Cummins 5,0 V8 with 300 and 500, will pull anything you could want to pull with a half ton..... Road economy should be good, read 24-25 highway, possibly 26.... .around town not super.. and overall nowhere near what the Ram is... but the truck will have better overall capability, and performance.. I would like to drive the Cummins 5.0 V8, I wrote the editor of diesel power and the guy wrote back said "it's a beast" .

So they are all a compromise... when kids were little, when we were broke, I had a 1994 Chevy S10, with the 4.3 V6, it was a good truck, until I was hit head on by a cop....
Main point is there are some neat trucks coming, NEAT DIESELS !!, and really enough choices for a broad market and for people of varying interests.....

Most of them will fit a need... the 2.8 in the Nissan and the Chevy may top 30 MPG !! ... the Ram, that will be a winner... and the Cummins 5.0 will rock... for sure......
Fun times for diesel fans....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts