RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they say the diesel is only 2850 more sticker than the 1500 with hemi. But not true because they rebate the gas engine trucks that are identical to the diesel 2500 more dollars. So really it is $5300 more for the diesel over the Hemi gas Ram. I knew they was going to do this and its just wrong and I think stupid because they should want people in there trucks. I don't want a gas dodge 1500 ill go a different brand. I want the diesel 1500 but wont pay 5300 more over the gas version so I wont get Ram at all. I think they are stupid. Advertise it is only 2850 more than the hemi then screw u on rebates to get 5300 more for it. I know people want them so up the charge. Really it makes me just want to never buy the brand at all. Just a way to get you to want one if you like diesel and I do then throw out that we aint giving discounts the same so pay 5300 more for it if you want it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
There are places (states/provinces) that will give you huge rebates on a diesel, maybe just not in your state.... some dealers more than others will work with you as well

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, your loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: choochooman74

·
Registered
471 Posts
Take someone else with you to make the deal. I only paid about $1,900 more than the Hemi sitting next to my diesel and the Hemi didn't have the air suspension. Then again it did take us about nine hours to make the deal. Hey, I'm retired and have time on my hands.:D

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
What if there were NO rebates? I mean you are not entitled to them. Ram can do what they want and if they don't want to give out "welfare" checks, so be it.

Take it you didn't buy or could not find a dealer that will offer you a good deal. Somehow badmouthing the product because you can't get a deal does not seem right at all.

Reactions: BCLII

·
Registered
346 Posts
CrappieMan, read the fine print, the EcoD is a 2850 more OPTION. You pay that much more for the option. Whatever Ram want to do with incentives is totally separate issue. If you don't like the incentives/price DON'T buy one. I don't think there a very many, if any, of us here that feel that we got "ripped off".

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Give it a year... the rebates will get back in line. I only lost $500 in rebates over the Hemi. But who cares. I wanted a Diesel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ya buddy we bought two hemi's and my eco the same week
Both equipped the exact same
The ecodiesel was $1300 higher then the hemi's

·
Registered
735 Posts
It's called supply and demand
..and nothing to compete with, no other manufacture offers anything close yet. That may change in late 15’, 16, but as of now Ram is the only game in town with a ½ ton tuck offering this type of capability and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my point was why would they advertise they are only 2850 more than hemi truck equally equipped then when you go to buy the say the hemi truck is 2500 less? I will be stupid and probably buy one anyway because I really want the diesel . I just love the torque curve and fuel mpg. I test drove one and loved it. Its just I don't understand why they cut the discounts on exact same truck by 2500 dollars knowing the engine is already 2850 more instead of showing the diesel engine cost of truck equal to the hemi is only 2500 difference? Anyway I just heard back from the lot and think I made a deal if I buy tomorrow end of month on a Granite color Big Horn. Really wanted a white or silver Laramie but nobody has any. This is only truck in Tulsa that isn't a long horn diesel or two wheel drive. Guess the way I posted wasn't cool and didn't post to offend but just wondering why they have to do this. Hopefully I will get this one tomorrow. Again if it was a white or silver Laramie id of bought it already. Offer they made said is just till tomorrow and I am sure it will sell if I don't take it. Ill let you all know. It was just frustrating when I found out that It was actually 5k more than the gas version hemi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to weigh in a little bit here... we are from OKC and just did a fantastic deal at Westpointe Dodge. But we had it ordered exactly the way we wanted it then waited for it to be built and delivered. Those guys at Westpointe were awesome to deal with. Upfront from day one, no crap at all. We were always informed of the progress and when the truck came in (today) we came down to hammer out the details expecting the usual ploys, dances, double talk and the reneging on the original quotes. No such thing happened. Even got way more for our trade-in than I ever expected( and THAT never seems to happen to us!) 9000 off incentives (including their own 1000.00 off for taking a test drive). Finance guy even found us a better finance rate than what we had found online and saved us some more money. Carlos Watson was our guy and a very knowledgable guy. Never had such an awesome experience at a dealership before. It was great and we drove home in our super loaded with all the bells and whistles (including air suspension, and every box checked on options) 1500 ED Big Horn 4x4 crew cab with long bed. So don't give up on Dodge. Sometimes its the buying experience that makes us bitter and not the actual vehicle itself.

·
Registered
738 Posts
my point was why would they advertise they are only 2850 more than hemi truck equally equipped then when you go to buy the say the hemi truck is 2500 less? I will be stupid and probably buy one anyway because I really want the diesel . I just love the torque curve and fuel mpg. I test drove one and loved it. Its just I don't understand why they cut the discounts on exact same truck by 2500 dollars knowing the engine is already 2850 more instead of showing the diesel engine cost of truck equal to the hemi is only 2500 difference? Anyway I just heard back from the lot and think I made a deal if I buy tomorrow end of month on a Granite color Big Horn. Really wanted a white or silver Laramie but nobody has any. This is only truck in Tulsa that isn't a long horn diesel or two wheel drive. Guess the way I posted wasn't cool and didn't post to offend but just wondering why they have to do this. Hopefully I will get this one tomorrow. Again if it was a white or silver Laramie id of bought it already. Offer they made said is just till tomorrow and I am sure it will sell if I don't take it. Ill let you all know. It was just frustrating when I found out that It was actually 5k more than the gas version hemi.
Never, ever confuse list price verses sales price. Rebates are designed to sell SPECIFIC products. Not too long ago, they had special rebates just for the Lonestar. I didn't want a Lonestar, so that rebate meant nothing to me. All that really matters to me is the final negotiated price. I assure you I did not pay $5000 more than the equivalent hemi, or even $2850 more than the equivalent Hemi. And EVERY OEM does this. In fact, this is common business in MANY industries. Some models or cars, truck and motorcycles have a premium for specific colors. It's business. And if you believe Ford, GM, Toyota or anyone else is any different, you've got a huge surprise coming.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Perhaps, you should cool your jets and order one exactly like you want it. Be patient. Order now, probably get better rebates in July/August. You should be able to take advantage of the best rebates either now or later. Or, get on the Internet and find a dealer who will deal with you for what you want. Do not buy it just to buy it! You will never be happy! I've been there and done that, and therefore speak from experience.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Again, it's a $2850 OPTION over the Hemi. Options add additional costs. Simple as that.

·
Registered
827 Posts
my point was why would they advertise they are only 2850 more than hemi truck equally equipped then when you go to buy the say the hemi truck is 2500 less? I will be stupid and probably buy one anyway because I really want the diesel . I just love the torque curve and fuel mpg. I test drove one and loved it. Its just I don't understand why they cut the discounts on exact same truck by 2500 dollars knowing the engine is already 2850 more instead of showing the diesel engine cost of truck equal to the hemi is only 2500 difference?
Dude, this is HS Economics.

Ram has an office full of folks staying up at night trying to figure out how to maximize profit out of each and every little thing. They're playing with all the variables of base price, costs of options, and incentives. If they cut a price of something by a couple hundred $$, they have to sell more of it to make the profit back. Therefore they're constantly asking themselves, "if I cut this particular price by $100 and break even is selling 50 more units, will the $100 price cut result in 60 units being sold and profit or only 40 units being sold and loss? Where is the sweetspot for the price of this option that maximizes profitability?"

It ends up getting really complicated because that profitability curve of price breaks vs. units sold has to be done for every option, and then there's the crazy impact of the dual pricing structure of MSRP and Invoice, not to mention the difference between an unmarketed price cut vs. an advertised special deal of some kind.

That is how pricing works for everything. It's not about cost to manufacture, it's not about fairness, it's not about a pricing scheme that seems to be logical relative to other options or models. They do care about the pricing scheme pissing consumers off tho because that doesn't move trucks and therefore shifts the price breaks vs. units sold curve in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I know I already posted... but every time I see the title.... it eats into me a little more. SO... here I go....

This is a STUPID thread !!! RAM... in NO WAY... is SCREWING PEOPLE on the new ED. They aren't holding a gun to your head... and it's not like they don't give you 2 other CHEAPER engines to chose from.

OK... I understand what you are TRYING to say... but it's still not accurate. BECAUSE.... there are better rebates on the BigHorn compared to the Tradesman or Outdoorsman. ALSO.... there are better lease deals on the Express than any of the other versions. AND finally... 2 months ago... the rebates between the hemi and ED were the same !!!! If you would have ordered early.... you would have enjoyed the +$9k off the MSRP that most of us got. (my actual was $9400 from sticker)

FYI... I got my ED Bighorn for less than a lower equipped ED Tradesman, because there were $3500 in rebates on the bighorn that the tradesman didn't' qualify for. Also... I WANTED an Outdoorsman, but Ram didn't actually release them during the first couple months. But you didn't see me (and a lot of others) saying "We are getting screwed". Nope... I said fine... and ordered the BigHorn.

So... stop whining, and negotiate better. Or find a dealer that will get you the price you want/need. AND... if it's all about price... buy a Pentastar.

OK... Rant off. I return you to your normally scheduled program.

Reactions: JAK
1 - 20 of 36 Posts