RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Tuesday my oil pressure warning light came on and the gauge would dip at the same time when I was at idle. The engine would labor a bit when this happened. This would pulse between bad and normal several times. I had my truck towed to the dealer and found out yesterday that they found metal shavings in the oil filter and the pan and are going to replace the engine.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any insights or advice?

The dealer thought this could take between 10 days and 3 weeks depending on parts availability. They put me in a rental, at least.

I'm really bummed because I won't be able to take extended trips with the same level of confidence.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Something catastrophic like this has no real history. Early on a few had loose crank bolts and turbo coolant leaks. Those motors we heard about. Their repairs and replacements took from predicted time to stupid long. It depended on the availability of the engines.

Find out the issue with an available engine and you will be well on the way to a more reliable timetable.

See if you can find out what happened and report that back. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, metal shavings in oil filter and pan???? I wonder what came apart?
I hope they get your truck fixed ASAP.
Symptoms sound like a bearing failure, probably main or rod bearings. Have any of the engine failures talked about on here been 2015's? I was thinking they were all 2014's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure if this is any comfort or not, but my company just had a 2015 Ford F150 (small V8) with less than 2k miles do the same thing. I think they said it was the oil pump failed. I know this is disheartening ... I've had new purchases fail way too early & one was just out of warranty. Guess the silver lining here is there's no argument from the dealer & you get a new engine.

Good luck,

Alan

·
Registered
638 Posts
No issues with mine but the "10 days to 3 weeks" is baloney.

Most people getting new engines have been waiting 3-4 months before they get their trucks back. VM Motori is barely able to keep up with assembly line demand. Add to that a hundred extra engines once in a while and apparently we're asking too much of the Italians.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. It's been three weeks since I had my truck towed to the dealer (Bob Baker, Carlsbad, CA). They're telling me they're still waiting on "special tools" to remove the old engine. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me…

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the update & continued wishes for a quick & fully complete fix. Reading your original post I guess I'd labor a bit if my guts were full of metal shavings. Glad they got on it, hope you can get back on the road asap.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Update. It's been three weeks since I had my truck towed to the dealer (Bob Baker, Carlsbad, CA). They're telling me they're still waiting on "special tools" to remove the old engine. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me…
That sucks. See if they can throw in an extended warranty for free.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Kind of wondering what "special tools" they need to remove the engine. Have seen it done. Dealers remove the body and there it is, easy access. Not easy but doable. Don't think anything special was required.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Metric socket set

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The delay is because they are on backorder at Harbor Freight. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DJ-Gregg

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2015 blew on 9/22 with 9400 miles. No signs of trouble, or any issues prior to this-just full throttle getting on the highway headed uphill. ETA on new engine is 11/30 arrival.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2015 blew on 9/22 with 9400 miles. No signs of trouble, or any issues prior to this-just full throttle getting on the highway headed uphill. ETA on new engine is 11/30 arrival.
Trophyhunter is that just an ETA on parts or getting your truck back? Is the dealer doing anything for your trouble?

·
Registered
453 Posts
They probably need a left handed crescent wrench for the right areas under the hood

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
They probably need a left handed crescent wrench for the right areas under the hood
They also need a muffler bearing puller and a can of elbow grease...

·
Registered
450 Posts
This is the first '15 I've heard of with engine failure
Can't say I'm surprised. I'm not aware of a systematic issue related to engine failures in 2014's that resulted in any sort of change or improvement to the 2015's. I think the 2015's (or most of them, anyway) got the new SCR and tweaks to the ECM. Most likely there are other problem scenarios that have been seen only on 2014's so far, but only because the 2014's have more miles on them. I don't mean to be a bearer of doom and gloom - my 2014 has been great. I just don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two model years.

I feel for the OP - the word from the dealer so far isn't going to give anyone a warm fuzzy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is the eta of the new long block according to the service manager. No telling how long to get it in and running after that. He did relay something interesting-their are no complete engines or long blocks in their central parts warehouses, but he did show a # of dealers in Texas showed as in stock, bit they will not give them up. Dealer has not helped one bit on a loaner. The GM did bump me to the front of the line which only took 3 weeks to determine a rod broke and a new long block was needed. Sure was nice of him! I paid for a loaner out of pocket for four days until Chrysler case manager authorized a rental. According to them, if I had not purchased the 8yr 120k max care warranty I would be out of luck. They did reimburse me for the 4 days a few weeks later.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts