RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here a while, thought I registered a while ago but apparently had not so I fixed that tonight.

I currently drive a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 and have a garage that's occupied by a bunch of bikes. Recently, I also added a 6x10 V-nose enclosed trailer to get the bikes to the track and back, possibly spend some nights in as well. I live in FL so it's all flat land here, but I'm due to relocate to California near Sacramento in September. Just towed the trailer to the MX track and back with minimal gear in it, almost entirely flat ground at about an average of 60-65 mph and hand calculated 12 mpg. In my mind, that's pretty crappy but then I talked to my buddy who is pulling the same trailer plus 2 feet of length as he moves to Utah and he is averaging about 8-10 with a Chevy V8 half ton. Oh, and I should mention he actually said he was doing 4 mpg at one point. I of course told him how much better this Ecodiesel would be but he likes to be a diesel naysayer for some unknown reason.

One of the many reasons I am interested in the Ecodiesel is for the daily driver fuel economy and also the fact it will most likely be far better suited to towing my trailer across the country and to the track and back. I used to have an 06 2500 Cummins with a 6 speed MT but traded it in because I was hardly using it at the time and it was way too pricey as a daily driver when diesel fuel skyrocketed up above premium. However, the 1500 seems to fit the bill in between torque and economy quite nicely. I called my local dealer today and all the units due in are supposedly accounted for, however I am leery of taking a salesman's word over the phone because it sounded like he didn't even give it any thought or really care.

In the end, I'm a little on the fence primarily due to the cost of a brand new truck but I only owe $8500 on my Tacoma and may actually have it paid off here soon as I should be getting a sweet bonus here in the next month or two. Still, having no vehicle payment at all is also pretty enticing. But then again, once bitten by the diesel bug it's tough to shake it. Decisions decisions....

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Welcome.

I'm also from Florida over near Parrish on the Tampa/Bradenton side. Gas vehicles don't tow. Simple as that.

Well, obviously they do tow. They just have hideous fuel mileage, high rpm while towing and minimal torque to actually pull. You can get a big gasser that will work but expect to pay both when towing and just riding around solo. Forget gas for towing.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

I'm also from Florida over near Parrish on the Tampa/Bradenton side. Gas vehicles don't tow. Simple as that.

Well, obviously they do tow. They just have hideous fuel mileage, high rpm while towing and minimal torque to actually pull. You can get a big gasser that will work but expect to pay both when towing and just riding around solo. Forget gas for towing.
Yup, that's what I try telling him but he doesn't want to hear it. He keeps telling me he is jealous of my Tacoma. Me on the other hand, I'm not super in love with it. It had a fuel pump failure at 17,000 miles which has put a bad taste in my mouth since. Plus, I like having the space if I need it. When I go to races and don't pull a trailer, my truck is packed to the brim with gear and other stuff since most of the bed is taken up by my YZ450. In the end it's my decision to make and I am really leaning towards putting an order in since it seems that's going to be the only way to get one of these trucks for a bit.

I'm in NW FL near Destin by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome.

You have never towed with a EcoBoost.......

2011 XLT Supercab F-150, 3.15 axle, 86,000 miles never been to shop........ Towing a Rockwood 8280W fifth wheel ultra light 31' . 13,700 lbs gross weight. All within GVWR front to rear. 1450 Payload. 9.5 mpg to 12.4 mpg depending on wind. 65 mph at 1800 rpm's. I left Las Vegas with 7 vending machines on a utility trailer gross weight 13,200. 1100 mile trip down I-40 to Wichita Ks. 12.4 mpg at 70 mph. The speed limit is all that slowed me down.

Ordered a 1500 BigHorn 4X2 3.55 axle 3.0 EcoDiesel Saturday ..... Had to go to Bighorn to get the options my XLT has........ I am giving up my payload, and my GVWR by a few hundred pounds. More than likely it won't be by much and it will only be when I pull fifth wheel when I have to worry I only pull it 200 to 300 miles when I use it.

The last Ram I had was a 2002 with a 360 I pulled a 27' fifth wheel with a 19' bass boat 8-9 mpg. It did good at high rpm... lol gas guzzler is all I can say.
This 360 had 245 hp @ 4,000 rpm's and 385 @ 4,000 rpm's. 4 speed transmission. approx numbers for those who want to check it out.

This is what I compared the EcoDiesel to. Also had a GMC 1 ton with the 6.5. It had 190 hp and I believe 400 lbs torque.

I did test drive a Jeep with the 8 speed EcoDiesel and I was impressed. You can not feel the transmission shift.

With the fuel mileage and transmission I feel this truck will give the EcoBoost a run for its money. Cost of fuel will be higher. Not much because you need Premium when towing with a Ecoboost. Computer doesn't like sparknock.

I am going this way because the longevity and durability should be greater. Not sure about the price. I gave $28,000 for my EcoBoost.

For laughs my wife thinks I made up the EcoDiesel name so I could justify buying a new truck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You have never towed with a EcoBoost.......

2011 XLT Supercab F-150, 3.15 axle, 86,000 miles never been to shop........ Towing a Rockwood 8280W fifth wheel ultra light 31' . 13,700 lbs gross weight. All within GVWR front to rear. 1450 Payload. 9.5 mpg to 12.4 mpg depending on wind. 65 mph at 1800 rpm's. I left Las Vegas with 7 vending machines on a utility trailer gross weight 13,200. 1100 mile trip down I-40 to Wichita Ks. 12.4 mpg at 70 mph. The speed limit is all that slowed me down.

Ordered a 1500 BigHorn 4X2 3.55 axle 3.0 EcoDiesel Saturday ..... Had to go to Bighorn to get the options my XLT has........ I am giving up my payload, and my GVWR by a few hundred pounds. More than likely it won't be by much and it will only be when I pull fifth wheel when I have to worry I only pull it 200 to 300 miles when I use it.

The last Ram I had was a 2002 with a 360 I pulled a 27' fifth wheel with a 19' bass boat 8-9 mpg. It did good at high rpm... lol gas guzzler is all I can say.
This 360 had 245 hp @ 4,000 rpm's and 385 @ 4,000 rpm's. 4 speed transmission. approx numbers for those who want to check it out.

This is what I compared the EcoDiesel to. Also had a GMC 1 ton with the 6.5. It had 190 hp and I believe 400 lbs torque.

I did test drive a Jeep with the 8 speed EcoDiesel and I was impressed. You can not feel the transmission shift.

With the fuel mileage and transmission I feel this truck will give the EcoBoost a run for its money. Cost of fuel will be higher. Not much because you need Premium when towing with a Ecoboost. Computer doesn't like sparknock.

I am going this way because the longevity and durability should be greater. Not sure about the price. I gave $28,000 for my EcoBoost.

For laughs my wife thinks I made up the EcoDiesel name so I could justify buying a new truck.
My uncle had all brand new Ecoboost trucks for his business and exchanged them all for the small V-8, because the Ecoboost burns so damn much gas in the low RPM range.

Ford is also going through litigation in 2 different courts for covering up a huge-scale "silent recall" on the Ecoboost trucks by fixing them for free when people specifically complain, otherwise they didn't say or do anything(because not all trucks are at the right elevation/temperature/humidity to experience it). They did so because they put their engine eggs all in the Ecoboost basket and it would cost big bucks to fix. They'd have paid for the repairs AND been unable to move inventory. The problem involves moisture build up where the air condenses in the charge side of the intake system. It causes the truck to drop down to idle and enter "limp mode" when you accelerate. That may sound minor, but with a trailer on pulling onto a highway from 4-way stop you need to know that you're going to make it into your lane safely. In icy conditions, if you combine the delay of slippage with the "limp mode" glitch, you may be stuck sideways in the middle of the highway with oncoming cars when in a normal situation you'd be in your lane and up to speed. I had an Ecoboost priced out, with a number of performance packages priced and ready to order. My uncle told me they had replaced their entire fleet with V-8s for reliability and ended up burning less fuel. They don't tow they just carry tons of gear, and the way they drive they're saving 100 a month on fuel.

I personally love the concept of the Ecoboost, but if you drive it poorly and drive an Ecodiesel poorly you'll get better mileage in the Ecodiesel all day long.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Right rmorris. I have never TOWED with an Ecoboost but I have ridden in one while it was towing. Neighbor of a close friend is also his employer and my friend drives that truck to tow. Another friend has one but it's a V8 while another has a new Ford 2500/gas. What I know is the power is there. The rpm's are high when towing because there's no torque to run the higher gears. Fuel mileage is nowhere near what you are getting.

First, although some of your fuel mileage is not good it's also not bad. I would keep the one you have. It really isn't bad at all. Friend Louis Kapp has a 2012 and I rode with him towing his 32 ft. ball trailer to Georgia. 6 mpg tops but it did pull well. That surprised me. It also got him upset but that was because of the fuel mileage. The engine did well on the interstate once things got going and it was flat. Throw in a grade and the downshifting and high rpm's took over.

I also had a '94 Chevy 1500 6.5 diesel. Flat out loved that truck. Kept it for over 160K with no issues. It was not fast but it sure would tow easily compared to my older V8 Ford I had. Then a Duramax (junk) and after that my current Cummins.

Closest thing I've read about that tows like a diesel is YOUR truck. You got something special there compared to others.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome StraydogEOD! Thanks for dropping in. I hope you decide to pick this bad boy up in the end :) Keep us updated! Quick question. What trim and color are you looking at?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I know exactly how you feel weighing the options between new awesome truck and payments vs older truck no payment. It's a very tough decision. I for some reason have a history of never heading down the path of older truck no payment. Maybe some day..lol

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome StraydogEOD! Thanks for dropping in. I hope you decide to pick this bad boy up in the end :) Keep us updated! Quick question. What trim and color are you looking at?
I'm definitely leaning towards it! If I can even get my hands on one that is! Seems like these are going to be hard to come by due to demand and lack of dealer support (as in initiative to know about the vehicles their manufacturers sell or taking the time to give a crap about a customer which I guess is universal to every vehicle).

I was looking at the Outdoorsman, I thought it only came in one color option/quadcab only? Laramie sounds nice and all, but that's a bit rich for my blood. It's been a hot minute since I went through and built one online however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right rmorris. I have never TOWED with an Ecoboost but I have ridden in one while it was towing. Neighbor of a close friend is also his employer and my friend drives that truck to tow. Another friend has one but it's a V8 while another has a new Ford 2500/gas. What I know is the power is there. The rpm's are high when towing because there's no torque to run the higher gears. Fuel mileage is nowhere near what you are getting.

First, although some of your fuel mileage is not good it's also not bad. I would keep the one you have. It really isn't bad at all. Friend Louis Kapp has a 2012 and I rode with him towing his 32 ft. ball trailer to Georgia. 6 mpg tops but it did pull well. That surprised me. It also got him upset but that was because of the fuel mileage. The engine did well on the interstate once things got going and it was flat. Throw in a grade and the downshifting and high rpm's took over.

I also had a '94 Chevy 1500 6.5 diesel. Flat out loved that truck. Kept it for over 160K with no issues. It was not fast but it sure would tow easily compared to my older V8 Ford I had. Then a Duramax (junk) and after that my current Cummins.

Closest thing I've read about that tows like a diesel is YOUR truck. You got something special there compared to others.
I didn't expect good mileage towing nothing is great........ I just wanted something that would have good mileage when I wasn't.

This is a business decision. Trade it off before it hits 100k or loose more money...

Dealer called today and said they are still locked out ordering 4X2's. Can't find out when production will begin on them. The only thing they can order are 4X4's.
also can't get a invoice price yet. They did order a 4X4 for me but unless the price is right they will have to keep it.

Pearl Blue BigHorn
Luxury Package
Bucket Seats
Tow Mirrors
4X4
3.55 rear end

·
Registered
279 Posts
Morris
<<For laughs my wife thinks I made up the EcoDiesel name so I could justify buying a new truck>>

had to laugh... I have talked about the Ram 1500 so much, my wife said "all you talk about is trucks and bucks and working out, just go buy one"....

the enthusiasm wore her down eventually..... part of the plan !

Dog, have to weigh your options and your wallet, what you can afford. I had a 2008 LMM Duramax good truck, (early duramax's had injector issues, up to 2003-4). a 2006 Ram Cummins, both good trucks, the inline 6 Cummins just pulls.

Ecoboost fine, but go on F150 net and see owner's reports of fuel economy, really poor, I like the F150, but my choice would be the proven 5.0 V8.

The Ram 3.0 should strike a good balance between economy and capability.... and payload aside, it should be a good rig....

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Morris
<<For laughs my wife thinks I made up the EcoDiesel name so I could justify buying a new truck>>

had to laugh... I have talked about the Ram 1500 so much, my wife said "all you talk about is trucks and bucks and working out, just go buy one"....

Dog, have to weigh your options and your wallet, what you can afford. I had a 2008 LMM Duramax good truck, (early duramax's had injector issues, up to 2003-4). a 2006 Ram Cummins, both good trucks, the inline 6 Cummins just pulls.

Ecoboost fine, but go on F150 net and see owner's reports of fuel economy, really poor, I like the F150, but my choice would be the proven 5.0 V8.

The Ram 3.0 should strike a good balance between economy and capability.... and payload aside, it should be a good rig....
Yea, if all goes to plan and the dealer here will actually work with me, I have a pretty good feeling I'll be back behind the wheel of a Dodge. I was looking at used Duramaxes as well, but then I'd be right back where I was before-a big truck I'm not using but costs a pretty penny to keep operational. That Allison sure is a great transmission though and a used Dramamax would be a hell of a lot cheaper up front over a brand new 1500. My towing is pretty light duty however so not sure I need those monstrous 2500s to get what I need done. (I know, it's like watching a tennis match with how much I go back and forth but most of my eggs are in the Ecodiesel basket).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Morris

I am sure there will be those when the EcoDiesel gets here and people start driving them there will be those that bad mouth them also. It seams to be the same people on the forums that bitch the most. I know from experience not just myself but from others the EcoBoost will out pull any 1/2 ton on the road. And will do it in most cases at a lower RPM. Wind is the only thing that will make it work hard.

I am more confident with a Diesel than gas. The only reason I am wanting the 3.0 EcoDiesel. Is the mileage when I am not towing. Towing is about 1/3 of my mileage. The Ram 1500 has a lower payload and lower GVWR than a Ford F-150. My fifth wheel 31' Rockwood 8280W has a 7,300 lb dry weight. I use a Anderson Gooseneck Hitch that weighs 60 lbs not counting rails. My SuperCab with 3.15 axle has a 1400 lb payload and a GVWR of 7050. I am perfectly loaded front to rear. So I should be ok if I don't load it up.
Also I know I can get in a Ford F150 4X4 for less money. Dealer hasn't given me a delivered price on the Ram 1500 yet except the MSRP of Approx $43,000. Comparable F-150 EcoBoost is $37,000 delivered.

For me it is going to be the final price. I am hoping Dodge comes through.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well according to my local dealer they are "black listed" for ordering (their words). He said he would check again Tuesday. I told him I saw a video of trucks on their way for delivery and he sounded very surprised to hear that. As in I doubt this dealer has been looking into Eco Diesels at all. Yay.

Side note-did a 300 mile tow trip with my Tacoma tonight and really made me miss diesel that much more. Hope I can get my hands on one before September or moving across the country is going to really suck.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I spread out my area of travel a bit and hit up a dealer 2 hours away and got this reply:

"These truck are available to be ordered now, and, once ordered, will take about 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. The process is simple, just come in & meet with me, we'll go over what you want on the truck, place the order, leave a $500 deposit, and you will be updated by both Chrysler & myself as your new truck makes it way down the assembly line."

Sound about right to you guys?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well I spread out my area of travel a bit and hit up a dealer 2 hours away and got this reply:

"These truck are available to be ordered now, and, once ordered, will take about 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. The process is simple, just come in & meet with me, we'll go over what you want on the truck, place the order, leave a $500 deposit, and you will be updated by both Chrysler & myself as your new truck makes it way down the assembly line."

Sound about right to you guys?
Might be more like 10-12 weeks. Know what you want, get a written price with the order, and verify that the deposit is refundable if something does not work out and you can't accept delivery. Some dealers are willing to do that over the phone so you don't have to drive 2 hours. If they have an internet sales person you might want to try them.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All sounds like good tips, thanks! I just got another reply from a closer dealer saying that they have a few due in. Sales guy said he will have the info on Wednesday so I'll call then and find out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts