RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
New Eco Owner

Just picked up a new truck yesterday ! I am new to Ram but no regrets trading in the Colorado...This forum was very helpful in making my choice ,,,I even took the checklist with me when the deal was done. It is a Tradesman with a few upgrades ...light years ahead of my 2003 and 2006 trucks ! Most of my travel for work is an hour away and usually towing a boat - there are not any stop signs or lights on my route so am looking forward to the fuel mileage ! Thanks to ale the Eco owners that shared their experiences and knowledge ...Really helped me get from 0 to shiny new truck in 3 days !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gas and Diesel prices should be lower with the cost of oil today around $ 49.00 a barrel. That what it was in 1995.

·
Registered
28 Posts
New member, hope this works!

Ordered new 1500 Big Horn, ED standard cab, long bed, white with two tone tan interior. Can't wait to get her done!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is fresh news about the EPA holding up new Diesels because of the Volkswagen debacle.
Jeep and Ram stores have gasoline-powered 2017 Grand Cherokees and Ram 1500s in stock, but no diesels, even though both models were offered with Fiat Chrysler's 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine for 2016 and press materials indicate the engines would be offered for 2017. An FCA spokesman declined to comment.

FCA's online inventory trackers show several thousand unsold 2016 EcoDiesel Ram 1500s available nationwide, as well as hundreds of the less popular Grand Cherokee diesels.

Mort

Read more: EPA scrutiny bogs down new diesels

·
Registered
25 Posts
I noticed that North America is the only place on Earth where diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. Why is that?
Diesel should be cheaper since it's considerably less refined than gas.
A Barrel of oil is 42 gallons. Diesel is only created when they perform the first "thermal" crack along with 5 other products. Jet fuel, kerosene, gas, etc. Once this is done, they use the heavy hydrocarbons that are left and "Catalyst" crack to make more gas.

Before cat cracking, you got 11 gallons of gas per barrel. With cat cracking, you get about 23 gallons of gas per barrel.

Once the diesel has been refined off, it must be treated to get rid of sulfur to <15 ppm. This is where the added cost comes from. This can only be done through "creative chemistry". Where I live, gase and diesel are $2.34 and 9/10. Farm machinery and even some school districts use red diesel which is not taxed ($0.50/gallon less) here.

Hope that clears it up for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bad Fuel injectors on 2016 Ecodiesel

Ecodiesel brothers and sisters,

I have a question, trying to get a sanity check. Took my 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel in for Electronic Throttle Control Light and the Exhaust System Service required. The 1st time, the dealer diagnosis the problem stating that the throttle is losing connect with the ECM. They disconnected everything and reconnected and everything was working. Picked up my vehicle and drove an hour and a half with a pit stop at a store, and then continued my drive home and 10 minutes after the pitstop, the same lights came back on and of course when these warning lights come on, it reduces power not allowing the engine to rev pass 3,000 rpm and the truck doesn't shift properly meaning I have to take my foot off the gas and it will shift however with the pedal floored, it reaches 3,000 rpms and I could be at 35 mph.

Returned it to the dealer and initial diagnosis was bad turbo. They ordered a new turbo and a week later, they said that I had bad fuel and need new injects and lines and my fuel tank has to be drained and cleaned.

Have any of you had or seen any similar issues? By the way, what's the purpose of the fuel filter if bad fuel made it past the filter into the injectors?

The crazy thing in this explanation is that I've been using the same Shell for the past 6 months or so putting diesel in both my truck and VW however I'm still driving my VW while my truck is in the shop.

Need help!!

·
Administrator
8,307 Posts
Ecodiesel brothers and sisters,

I have a question, trying to get a sanity check. Took my 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel in for Electronic Throttle Control Light and the Exhaust System Service required. The 1st time, the dealer diagnosis the problem stating that the throttle is losing connect with the ECM. They disconnected everything and reconnected and everything was working. Picked up my vehicle and drove an hour and a half with a pit stop at a store, and then continued my drive home and 10 minutes after the pitstop, the same lights came back on and of course when these warning lights come on, it reduces power not allowing the engine to rev pass 3,000 rpm and the truck doesn't shift properly meaning I have to take my foot off the gas and it will shift however with the pedal floored, it reaches 3,000 rpms and I could be at 35 mph.

Returned it to the dealer and initial diagnosis was bad turbo. They ordered a new turbo and a week later, they said that I had bad fuel and need new injects and lines and my fuel tank has to be drained and cleaned.

Have any of you had or seen any similar issues? By the way, what's the purpose of the fuel filter if bad fuel made it past the filter into the injectors?

The crazy thing in this explanation is that I've been using the same Shell for the past 6 months or so putting diesel in both my truck and VW however I'm still driving my VW while my truck is in the shop.

Need help!!
I copied your post over to the mechanical section for better exposure. http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/22330-bad-fuel-injectors-2016-ecodiesel.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
A Barrel of oil is 42 gallons. Diesel is only created when they perform the first "thermal" crack along with 5 other products. Jet fuel, kerosene, gas, etc. Once this is done, they use the heavy hydrocarbons that are left and "Catalyst" crack to make more gas.

Before cat cracking, you got 11 gallons of gas per barrel. With cat cracking, you get about 23 gallons of gas per barrel.

Once the diesel has been refined off, it must be treated to get rid of sulfur to <15 ppm. This is where the added cost comes from. This can only be done through "creative chemistry". Where I live, gase and diesel are $2.34 and 9/10. Farm machinery and even some school districts use red diesel which is not taxed ($0.50/gallon less) here.

Hope that clears it up for you.

The #1 reason is Federal fuel tax on diesel is higher.

from Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here in interior NorCal general purpose gas stations will price Diesel near premium 91 octane, at about $2,70 a gallon, Costco is the one retailer that keeps Diesel near 87 prices or ~$2,30 a gallon currently. So there is some nice profit taking on selling diesel. Definitely less competitive than the gasoline market in my part of the world.

I think this is the best answer I could find from our government's EIA division:

Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?

On-highway diesel fuel prices have been higher than regular grade gasoline prices almost continuously since September 2004. This trend is a break from the previous historical pattern of diesel fuel prices usually being lower than gasoline prices except in cold winters when demand for heating oil pushed diesel fuel prices higher. There are three main reasons why diesel fuel prices have been higher than regular gasoline prices in recent years:

Demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils have been relatively high, especially in Europe, China, India, and the United States.
The transition to less polluting, lower-sulfur diesel fuels in the United States affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs.
The federal excise tax for on-highway diesel fuel of 24.4 cents/gallon is 6 cents per gallon higher than the gasoline tax.
Reference:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=9&t=9

Here is a retail price trend graph that further exhibits, the world demand picture on Low sulfur diesel:
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emd_epd2dxl0_pte_nus_dpg&f=w
Dreaming of Winter 2009, and 2016 :).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can't speak for states other than my own, but I know that Federal fuel tax goes into the Highway Trust Fund where more than 80% is directed to highway projects. The rest goes into other transportation projects such as transit, trails, leaking underground fuel tanks, and local projects chosen by the states. During the George H. W. Bush and Clinton administrations some of the tax went into deficit reduction. The fuel tax provides the main funding for highways and roads but doesn't come close to meeting even basic maintenance needs much less new construction. We'd have to triple or quadruple the fuel tax for car travel to pay for itself, and that ain't going to happen anytime soon. No wonder our infrastructure is falling apart.

We are fond of complaining about fuel cost but it is nothing in the U.S. compared to most of the world. Check out current prices for diesel on World petrol prices, gas prices, diesel prices | MyTravelCost.com in U.S. dollars per gallon: Japan ($5.01), Australia ($5.37), France ($6.75), Germany ($7.31), Finland ($7.82), Italy ($8.59), Norway ($10.02).
The only thing there is, other than Australia, those countries are all smaller than the state of Texas so you can cross those countries on a lot less gallons than you can cross the U.S.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are many reasons why diesel is more expensive than gas but the Root of all of them is demand. Demand for diesel is far less flexible than that of gas. People use more or less gas by choice - in other words there usually are options. Since diesel is used still mainly for 'work' by vehicles that cant realistically be replaced by other means, the demand is inflexible. This does not by the way invalidate the post regarding the tax differences between diesel and gas..its the reason for it. It can be taxed higher without reducing demand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Who Is Buying The New 2020 Ecodiesel

Just wondering how many members at planning to buy the new 2020, Ram Ecodiesel and how many are planning to keep their current truck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don’t plan on buying one right away. My current one will be paid off this time next year so just depends on if the deal is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts