RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2016 Ram 1500. I'm in need of a tonneau cover and I could really use some help/recommendations! Here is some criteria/preferences...
1. Bed is 6'4" with RamBox (90% of my options crossed off I know)
2. Locking or only accessible when the tailgate is down
3. Preferably hard as opposed to soft

I'm open to suggestions... I also have these rails in the bed that could possibly be used?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
There is a lot of options for you since ram 2500’s and 3500’s can have the same bed. Ive got the same bed on mine and have a bakflip g2 which I don’t recommend. Bakflip does have some other options that look much improved but my next well be a retractable design.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have the BakFlip g2 new design and really like it. Seems to be better built than the previous design and fits much nicer. The new version enables you to close the tailgate without lifting the panel - the previous version would not allow that. You had to lift the last panel, close the tailgate then drop the panel over the gate.

My truck has the 5' 7" bed but I'm sure they make the G2 to fit the longer bed as well.

Bob

·
Registered
812 Posts
I would not buy a G2 again. The one I have, the inner foam is waterlogged and has greatly increased the weight of each panel. if you stand on an end water starts to drain out. I used to be able to close from standing beside the truck. No longer. Either a second hand or get inside the box. I have the 4 panel 6'4" cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the truxedo Lo pro. I would rate it as ”ok” it only opens when the tailgate is down but but it is a soft shell. Mine lets quite a bit of dirt in and some water. it has been on the truck for a while also and I’m starting to notice the Velcro on the sides does not hold as well as it used to. For me it keeps things in the bed of my truck without flying out and keeps things relatively dry so it serves its purpose.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not buy a G2 again. The one I have, the inner foam is waterlogged and has greatly increased the weight of each panel. if you stand on an end water starts to drain out. I used to be able to close from standing beside the truck. No longer. Either a second hand or get inside the box. I have the 4 panel 6'4" cover.
Do you have the "new design" that Bob mentioned? Bakflip G2 seems to be a really popular option...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine is a couple years old. It's what Bakflip gave me to replace the one I had that had the one piece vinyl cover that also leaked thru the sides and got waterlogged as well. I don't have much faith in the Bakflip covers. I have a thread on here somewhere that described what I went thru.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I can hardly lift my Bakflip its so heavy from being waterlogged. Lifting one is tough, two doubled over is bad, three is almost impossible since I've torn the biceps in both arms in the last 5 years. :(

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you remove the cover and set it leaning up on edge, after a few days it will drain a fair amount out to make it a little more manageable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My old BakFlip was waterlogged as well and I called them to complain and ask about replacement - I knew that was a nonstarter since I bought the truck used and the BakFlip came with it. Thought I'd try tho, right?

Anyway, the rep promised me the new design was very different and won't absorb water. After getting the new one I had to agree that it's built much differently and has better seals around the sides and over the tailgate. Time will tell, of course, but I'm very happy with the cover after 6 months.

Bob

Reactions: 97hmcs
1 - 10 of 10 Posts