RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me state clearly, this is not a critique, but an opinion.

I'm not a fan of the Ram Boxes. I do think it's a brilliant engineering solution, and effective use of space, don't get me wrong.

I understand the usefulness and agree it could be damned handy. But...I don't hunt or fish, and I would prefer to keep tools, tow straps and such inside the truck and secured against movement, eliminating rattling, clunks and bangs.

Even with all that, I can see why they'd be appealing to many. It would be cool to fill them with ice and keep things cool for a few hours.

But, the biggest offence I think they commit is aesthetic. They break the lines of the truck's bed. And for me, this is their unforgivable sin. Gets me thinking then of their usefulness (to me) and the added cost. "Will I actually use them?" went through my mind many times as I built my truck over and over again. Along with "If someone hit the back of my truck, how much more costly would the damage be?"

Again, purely a personal call, but I did wonder if anyone else thought the same way - that they break up the lines of the truck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure I agree - I don't think it makes the truck look aesthetically less pleasing. I also find them really useful (I don't hunt or fish), just general use. The other day I picked up some soil (in a bag) to plant some flowers. The bag was a little dirty from Home Depot. Straight into the RamBox.

I think they are awesome

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The RamBox has many uses besides hunting and fishing and it makes getting to items easy. Locks synced with the doors and lights add to the utility. Internal dividers keep items organized and secure. A major disadvantage is that they add 150 lbs to the curb weight. For owners who stow small items and are not concerned with payload, the RamBox is a great option. Aesthetically, they look fine to me. It's those running boards and antennas that are warts to my eyes.

Reactions: 85Clint

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was definitely going to get the RamBox.....but as I ordered the truck, I figured that I didn't really need them....I am retired, and wouldn't have needed them for work anyway. They add weight, cost and another thing to go wrong or get broken into! I am going to get a tonneau cover so I will have some security within my bed...if I feel I need to carry stuff, I can get something like this.........

undercover_swingcase_hero.jpg

UnderCover Swing Case Truck Toolbox

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I was definately going to get the RamBox.....but as AI ordered the trtuck, I figured that I didn't really need them....I am retired, and wouldn't have needed them for work anyway. They add weight, cost and another thing to go wrong or get broken into! I am going to get a tonneau cover so I will have some security within my bed...if I feel I need to carry stuff, I can get something like this.........

View attachment 666

UnderCover Swing Case Truck Toolbox
I like those. May have to look into them.

I agree with most of the above. My biggest gripe with the ram boxes is it just takes up too much space in the bed, and $1700 is ALOT for a couple tool boxes.

Personally... I would have considered it, if they only did it on one side. (and was half price) A real contractor will want real boxes... and the "Average Joe" doesn't need 2 tool boxes all the time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have really enjoyed mine since I have had my truck. Groceries ect goes right in and they are awesome for fishing poles. They are well worth the $1100 invoice cost to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agree with Bigfoot's response, NOTHING destroys a truck's lines more than side steps and the wheel to wheel ones are hideous. Smooth curve under the truck and then suddenly a squared block sticking out?? They would have better served working on the body to contour around the wheels for aero than the steps. The lines of the boxes really only show on white trucks, seen a few true blue and black with them and have to look to pick them out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got the Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover with the cargo manager. IMO a better option for inside the bed for cargo management. If you need the utility of the storage, the RAM box is unbeatable. I agree that they take away from the truck's great lines. It is a personal opinion of the person ordering. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think they are a great idea. Certainly not meant for everyone though, that is why they are an option. I do believe they would be much more useful on the standard cab truck.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree with jak/bigfoot.... to some people they are sexy! to me the running boards make the whole truck look lower....

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Ram boxes to look better on the darker trucks, they do break up the lines and are more noticeable on the lighter colors.

Pickups are supposed to be utilitarian vehicles. I have a standard toolbox in my current truck; I can get at things on the ends, but need to get up in the truck to get at some areas of the box, I also don’t like how it shortens the bed. However lumber can slide under my toolbox, unless I’m hauling a lot of it.

The Ram boxes give you less width, but depending on what you are hauling that doesn’t matter, in some cases what I’m putting in the areas around the wheels wells would fit in the Ram boxes, but in some cases like those Ram boxes would be detriment to hauling something.

I guess If I get the Ram boxes sometimes I’ll wish I didn’t have them, and if I don’t sometimes I’ll think I should have got them.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Small point, but more people use trucks as family transport and for commuting than for working. Yes, by their nature they bring more utility to bear, but its the 2500s and 3500s that are built to work. The 1500s are positioned as... hmmm... minivan replacements? Much better than any minivan, IMO. Crew Cabs battle SUVs for driveway slots. Thus the big move to upscale materials and trim levels in trucks today.

I have not seem much advertising from RAM saying the RAM Box is for work, in the 1500 segment. I see fishing, hunting, hiking, kayaking. Lifestyle sales messages. Pretty sure they keep the "work" message around them for the bigger trucks, or specific trim levels on the 1500 line.

I'm usually a fan of things like this, which is why I remain mildly surprised my own reaction to them was negative and based on the visuals. Its obviously a personal thing on both sides of the choice, but I'm still amused to find myself on this side of the choice.

I looked at those Swing toolboxes last night. Not going that route if it requires drilling homes in my new bed. Oddly, though, I am mounting a wheel chock in their for hauling my motorcycles. Sometimes strange what we do and do not like, what we will and will not do.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use my truck, which I ordered with RamBoxes, for work (construction). I think that's all that needs to be said.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got the Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover with the cargo manager. IMO a better option for inside the bed for cargo management. If you need the utility of the storage, the RAM box is unbeatable. I agree that they take away from the truck's great lines. It is a personal opinion of the person ordering. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I am thinking about the same set up, but am wanting to get plastic storage box to strap/attach to the cargo manager to keep tools, jumper cables, bottle jack, etc. in the bed. Please tell me about your experience with Roll N Lock. Thank you! At the time I ordered I could not get the Rambox.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am a home builder and remodeler. I just ordered my ED with Ramboxes because I have all kinds of small items that currently reside under the back seat of my Silverado. Screw gun, straps, bungees, caulk guns, etc. I wanted a place to put them that WASN'T in the bed. And I wanted to still be able to carry a stack of plywood or drywall. A top-mounted toolbox gets in the way if you're carrying more than a few sheets of anything. I will see how the real-world usability is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was looking at this ladder rack as well... I use my headache rack on my current truck all the time but I don't think anyone makes a headache rack for a rambox-equipped truck. I may talk to my local aluminum fab guy about custom-making a rack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What was offensive to me on making the lines of the truck broken up was the 3 foot tall RAM 1500 emblems on the doors. That was the first thing I took off. So much cleaner looking. I love the RamBox and think it makes it look better but opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So many people don't realize how much of the truck segment comes from people who actually (shocking, I know) use them for work. Same as the other contractors, these things are a dream come true for stowing all the miscellaneous crap we constantly have to have. They look just fine imo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I struggled with the same situation. Do I get them or don't I. As I will be using my Tradesman 4x4 for both work and pleasure I decided not to get them do to the fact that some people like to break into vehicles and take for themselves. I like the idea of the boxes so I will put a behind the cab box and bolt it down to the floor of the bed. Out of sight out of mind thing for me. I have had cross bed boxes broken into and it sucks having to replace tools since they are not cheap. Looks like I'll be getting a WeatherGuard for mine. Once it comes in around July 30.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts