RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I put in a dose of the Hot Shot's and filled the tank a couple days ago. I've got an Odyssey battery on order that will hopefully be here by Saturday. I got the regen message again this morning on the way to work at 135 miles since the last one. Started at 80% and went to 50% within 30 seconds... I've only been 70 miles with the Hot Shot's in the tank so it really hasn't had time to be effective yet. How long should it take to clean up the system? One tankful? 3? More?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
How long should it take to clean up the system? One tankful? 3? More?
It is recommended that you run one tank of Diesel Extreme every 6 months and EDT daily. I buy the 16-ounce bottles which treats 40 gallons of fuel. I dump 12 ounces in the truck which leaves me 4 ounces left. Once the treated tank drops down below the 3/4 mark, I'll top off the tank and add the additional 4 ounces. Approximately 1 ounce treats 2.5 gallons. If you don't see any improvements after running one bottle through the system, then you know you have another issue. If you do see a noticeable improvement, then you may want to buy a second bottle and repeat.

From my earlier years of being on the forum, I can remember two EcoDiesel owners who were told they had a bad DPF, and it would need to be replaced. Out of desperation, both owners used Diesel Extreme. To make a long story short, it fixed their DPF issues completely. So, it's worth a shot (pun intended)!

Reactions: John Jensen

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,989 Posts
"If you don't see any improvements after running one bottle through the system, then you know you have another issue."
Or, it just doesn't do what they advertise it will do.
Joking-kinda-

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"If you don't see any improvements after running one bottle through the system, then you know you have another issue."
Or, it just doesn't do what they advertise it will do.
Joking-kinda-
I would guess there's something else going on since his regen messaging system is acting wonky, but you never know. Nonetheless, Diesel Extreme will improve injector deposits if he has any. This maintenance procedure will at least give him a better starting point for diagnosing the problem.

Fuel quality isn't the best in all parts of America, especially if you frequently fill-up in the areas that Ram has identified as troubled areas. The 2020+ owner's manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 20,000 miles. "If the vehicle is being used in severe operating conditions, or in certain geographical areas of the country (Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska) due to fuel cleanliness issues, it’s recommended to replace the fuel filter every 10,000 miles."

Ram knows there's a problem with high levels of asphaltenes. Some dealers in those states are aware of the issues and will recommend a Mopar fuel additive to help deal with the problem. This will cause injector and DPF problems.

Reactions: Top

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would guess there's something else going on since his regen messaging system is acting wonky, but you never know. Nonetheless, Diesel Extreme will improve injector deposits if he has any. This maintenance procedure will at least give him a better starting point for diagnosing the problem.

Fuel quality isn't the best in all parts of America, especially if you frequently fill-up in the areas that Ram has identified as troubled areas. The 2020+ owner's manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 20,000 miles. "If the vehicle is being used in severe operating conditions, or in certain geographical areas of the country (Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska) due to fuel cleanliness issues, it’s recommended to replace the fuel filter every 10,000 miles."

Ram knows there's a problem with high levels of asphaltenes. Some dealers in those states are aware of the issues and will recommend a Mopar fuel additive to help deal with the problem. This will cause injector and DPF problems.
I'm in Maryland. I suspected that we have crappy fuel but didn't know that Mopar was suggesting 1/2ing the fuel filter life. I bought enough HSDE for at least 2 tankfuls so I'll keep running it for a while. If it seems to help I'll run the HS Everyday as well.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I bought enough HSDE for at least 2 tankfuls so I'll keep running it for a while.
Awesome. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This afternoon the regen finished on the way home from work. It counted down from 80% as it should but it took longer than normal to finish. Probably about 6 miles more than a normal regen. Went out with my wife to get stuff for the weekend later and all was going well. I got behind a slow car on the way home, passed them (accelerated around them but didn't floor the pedal or anything) and a mile or so later it threw a CEL. Code reader says P026D. Wondering if the Hot Shots is in the process of doing its thing or if one or more injectors are bad and that's what was causing the problem originally? I cleared the code so I guess I'll see if it comes back tomorrow...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts