RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing a rattle, seemingly underneath the truck around the front driver's side. It's a rattle that sounds like metal to metal contact, around 2k rpm. It is more noticeable with the driver's window down and also when climbing a steady hill and able to hold around 1900-2200 rpm. It is less noticeable when any 4wd mode (44-44 case) is selected. I checked heat shields, exhaust bolts/clamps/sensors, brake pads, suspension and chassis bolts, rear/front drive shafts, cab mounts, etc. Even went to the dealer for a ride along with the manager driving who agreed the sound wasn't normal. They kept it a couple of days trying to find it. The dealer said everything was tight but the rattle was not normal, but they couldn't find it. The CV joints have some small play but that's to be expected. However, I have found the problem. It is the driver's side CV half shaft. There is some in-and-out play at the front differential. I know this to be the rattle because I have shimmed the shaft at the differential and the rattle is hardly noticable. Is this normal? Or is this play necessary? Could this be warrantied? Obviously it shouldn't rattle while driving. I've searched all over and haven't found this to be a problem for anyone else. Maybe this will help others with the same symptoms.

see video below:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmmmm. Interesting. Many others have same symptoms. There was few discussions about similar metal rattles. Mostly was attributed to pinning and pilot injection. Your theory does makes sense as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like a crossmember lift , good luck with getting warranty . Probably just cheap enough of a fix to just replace CV drive shaft yourself then arguing with your local $ealership that would be my first attempt . If the new CV shaft still has play maybe its your diff lift off center a 1/16 to tight on the passenger side making the driver side lose .

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you're still in warranty, I suggest you take the truck to the dealer and demonstrate the source of the rattle. Let them and FCA sort it out to your satisfaction. If they attempt to BS you with the 'they all do this, it's normal' story. Crawl under a new one on the showroom floor and see if it has the same amount of play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck used, just a few weeks ago. The dealership sold it as a certified truck explaining to me that 4" lifts (and less) are warrantable. Next week I will call the service manager that rode along with me and explain what I've found. Hopefully they'll work with me.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
In the early days of EcoDiesel ,their was a couple folks who raised their trucks and had a similar experience with front end parts wearing quickly and causing noises, I believe one kit was actually a dealership installation. Look through our forum you'll find their threads/post in regards to wearing parts and probably the fix as well .....

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
in out play on half shafts is normal. the shaft has to be able to grow and shrink in overall length as the suspension articulates.

if you grab the half shaft and can move it up and down, not along the rotational axis, thats not normal.

however, i am puzzled by your 2k rpm description because rpm willchange with gear selectes at a given speed. does it happen at the same speed regardless of rpm? reason i ask is i want to be sure you are chasing the right thing.

after watching your vid,, that does seem like an odd spot for play. perhaps a retainer failed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in out play on half shafts is normal. the shaft has to be able to grow and shrink in overall length as the suspension articulates.

if you grab the half shaft and can move it up and down, not along the rotational axis, thats not normal.

however, i am puzzled by your 2k rpm description because rpm willchange with gear selectes at a given speed. does it happen at the same speed regardless of rpm? reason i ask is i want to be sure you are chasing the right thing.

after watching your vid,, that does seem like an odd spot for play. perhaps a retainer failed.
The 2k rpm is puzzling me too. The CV shafts turn with the wheels, but the rattle does not correlate with a certain speed. Only the particular rpm range. This is why it took me so long to find the source of the noise because I was certain it had to be drive shaft or transmission related.

I looked into the up and down movement of the half shaft, like you suggested and there is very little movement.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The 2k rpm is puzzling me too. The CV shafts turn with the wheels, but the rattle does not correlate with a certain speed. Only the particular rpm range. This is why it took me so long to find the source of the noise because I was certain it had to be drive shaft or transmission related.

I looked into the up and down movement of the half shaft, like you suggested and there is very little movement.
perhaps at 2k the envine is hitting a resonant frequency of the driveshaft and coupling. very odd. i stand by what i said earlier... highly likely that some kind of retainer failed and is allowing the cv end to rattle in and out of the front gearcase. really odd

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Four inch lift? I’m surprised driveshaft angles/wear is covered by the warranty. Did you get that in writing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
perhaps at 2k the envine is hitting a resonant frequency of the driveshaft and coupling. very odd. i stand by what i said earlier... highly likely that some kind of retainer failed and is allowing the cv end to rattle in and out of the front gearcase. really odd
I agree with you 100%. I've tried finding a schematic of the front diff but to no avail. The passenger side has some movement too but not as significant and it does not have a metal on metal sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Four inch lift? I’m surprised driveshaft angles/wear is covered by the warranty. Did you get that in writing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The dealership certified it with no stipulations. It's warrantied as if it were a stock truck. 7 years / 100k miles from the original purchase date (July '16). That dealer is also the one that installed the lift. Maybe that's the kicker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/5972-sqeaking-under-load.html. You are describing it a little different but I suspect it may be a similar issue. Mine was just as bad, I would describe it as more of a chirping around 2k that drove me absolutely batty.
THANK YOU!! For sending me that link That is identical to my issue and I will take a copy of that thread to the service department. It's comforting to hear others have had the same issue and the dealer took care of them, for the most part. Hoping to get this taken care of so all can be right in my world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts