RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started my truck in the normal way and noticed an exhaust smell in the cab. Later in the evening I started it up and the fumes were bad enough I had to roll the windows down and caused my eyes to sting and water. I have 66k miles on it. I am retired now but had driven it for work many times 300 miles at 70+ mph highway speeds.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Go under your truck with a Very Bright Light and check for exhaust/soot residue around sensors should be none, the one in front of the dpf on down pipe has been known to leak exhaust gases causing your issue, just tighten it , if loose... Also check around turbo charger and down pipe closely for exhaust residue and all flanges and a leaking/ loose def injector will also cause diesel smell..

One thing nice about modern emissions diesels, if you’re smelling diesel fumes, that usually means in front of the scr...Good Luck and if you find your issue please let the forum know.... To help others in the future ...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Since its a strong raw smell its pre dpf/scr and since there is no check engine light for underboost P0299 it must be the downpipe itself or the upstream nox sensor leaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts