RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Eco. I installed the Rough Country 4" suspension kit a couple years ago. So far so good. No issues.

However, I have very little uptravel in my suspension.

In fact my control arms angle upwards. This leads to horrible ground clearance and some harsh "hits" when hitting bumps in the road or humps.

Does anyone have a photo of their Eco with a 4" suspension and the control arm angle?

I'm wanting more uptravel in my suspension.

Also I feel I probably need to replace my strut/coilovers assembly up front due to wear and tear and time. Been almost three years of hunting/off road use.

Will running Bilstein 5100 help with leveling my control arms for more uptravel?

What options do I have to get more ground clearance? My control arms are angled upwards.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have no idea what your problem is.. Here is mine from backside.

I can set a 5 gallon bucket under the front of my truck , clearance wise.

The TC kit includes different upper control arms , with reworked ball joint angle. 22,000 trouble free miles on my lift , Mostly towing.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a feeling he has the drop bracket kit. So @POHLHAMMER yours is much different. Ive seen some weird shit happen with their drop bracket lift, especially the 4".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get pics. No my lift did not come with new control arms .... Neither upper or lower.
I do believe I have the drop bracket lift since mine has a large "bracket" that has "RC" waterjetted out of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll get pics. No my lift did not come with new control arms .... Neither upper or lower.
I do believe I have the drop bracket lift since mine has a large "bracket" that has "RC" waterjetted out of it.

Yea, that's the drop brackets. It's not a bad lift. But @4" lift it almost seems like their setup over drops the dif. Like you said everything ends up inverted with minimal travel. You most likely need all new struts in the front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly what it seems like to me (that it's overdropped). Everything works well. It's been over two years and many hunting trips/wheeling etc. No issues. Just crappy ground clearance.

If I throw Bilstein 5100s on there at Max height, would that give me a little more lift in front? Or at least more up travel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you can see in my pics above the the LCAs are nearly 0 angled degrees. Parallel to the ground. The UCAs are actually negative angled just slightly (angled upwards).
This gives me very little uptravel and shitty clearance up front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also my axle shafts, if you look closely, are angled upwards as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Exactly what it seems like to me (that it's overdropped). Everything works well. It's been over two years and many hunting trips/wheeling etc. No issues. Just crappy ground clearance.

If I throw Bilstein 5100s on there at Max height, would that give me a little more lift in front? Or at least more up travel?

If you can, take some more pics.
Get a full truck shot from the side, a few close of the upper arms and what you can of the rear suspension. Visuals will help see how much room you have to play with.
Also measure from hub center to fender lip front and rear and post it up.

Rough country isn't the highest end lift, but they really have an awesome customer service center. The pics you provide here and measurements might help you get some upgraded struts from them. They released some better coilovers recently. I've run them in the past and they have been great to deal with.

Bilsteins are stock length so without a bigger spacer on top you won't gain any lift per se. You already have the longer full lift strut, just looks like the coils sagged.

Get those measurements.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
20190316_135613.jpg

Ya, your LCA's look pretty flat. But I'm pretty sure that is how stock pick-uos come. I'd try a set of 2" spacers on top. Cheap and pretty easy install.

Here's my truck. Bilstein 5100's set at 2.8 with 2" spacers on top.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My mistake, I referred to my kit as a RC kit. It is not.
It's a "Tough" Country kit.

I have misspoken before, as RC is much more well known..

Reactions: hodgexj1996

·
Registered
134 Posts
They're all pretty similar. I believe you're kit and the RC 3.5 kits are fundamentally the same as well.

I'm not far off of you with about 3" front lift, and tho I pieced mine together my angles are a non issue. It seems as though the differential drop combined with a set of sagging coilovers is causing the op his issues. I'd bet they didn't spec diesel coils vs hemi coils up front and they sagged quicker than expected.

If huntinrod was happy with the ride quality and performance I really think he should pursue R.C before jumping to spend his $ they are a pretty decent company customer service wise, and they offer both 4 and 6" lift front coilovers assembled for like 329$.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'd bet they didn't spec diesel coils vs hemi coils up front and they sagged quicker than expected.

Maybe that's why my DIY FrankenSuspension has such odd (but functional) angles. I have an Outdoorsman that supposedly comes with heavy duty suspension even though nobody has ever heen able to define what exactly that means...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe that's why my DIY FrankenSuspension has such odd (but functional) angles. I have an Outdoorsman that supposedly comes with heavy duty suspension even though nobody has ever heen able to define what exactly that means...
I'll be honest, these trucks take everything that was rule of thumb and toss them out the window. Seriously. My 2013 f150 wouldn't droop 3" without needing control arms and we have guys , myself included, running 3-4" lifts with no issues and full down travel. Whatever it is, the O.P surely needs more lift!

·
Registered
177 Posts
It almost looks like as if the OP's truck did not have the strut spacer installed (the barrels that drop the OE strut assembly down the same amount as the lift). Those arms look beyond flat. If you're curious what your truck would look like with Bilsteins, slide a jack under there and jack it up 2.8" - it'll give you a ball park visual of what your angles would be like, assuming you set it to the top most perch.

edit to add - Now I'm curious... can you snap a quick pic of your upper control arm and the top of your struts look like?

...one more edit - I replied to the thread on "the other" forum.

·
Registered
134 Posts

1 - 20 of 40 Posts