RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a couple weeks of waffling, I am ready to do this.

4WD Quad Cab Big Horn
Trailer Tow Group
Protection Group
Engine Block Heater
Antispin Rear Differential
17 Inch Wheel Downgrade

I have an out-the door offer of $38,067 (Invoice + $199 Dealer Fees - $2000 Incentives)
Purchasing in Montana

Before I pull the trigger, wanted to lay this at the feet of the experts.

-Is this a good deal money-wise? It seems about what I am getting from other dealers nationwide. Should I hold out for FFP, dealer kickback cuts, etc, or is that unrealistic?

-I live in Central California, but plan an eventual move back to a ranch in Montana during the life of this truck. For now, I do some camping and hauling of friends, but mostly commuting. I'm looking for something that will be at home on Highway 101 and offroad at the ranch, as well as pulling a light trailer. What is your opinion of the option list? For those of you who have walked this road--In your experience, is there anything I will regret not getting? Are the options listed worth the money? Are the 17 inch chrome 10-spokes as ugly in real life as they look in the brochure?

-I've also got $500 to spend at the dealer on accessories. What's a good deal from Mopar vs. purchasing out of pocket? I probably want to add vinyl floormats, bedliner, and a toolbox...or something else cool/useful you could recommend.

Appreciate your feedback! Looking forward to joining the club.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you can order the floor mats with the truck. You might consider a spray in bed liner and upgrade to the nav system only like 400 bucks. What is the msrp of your build? I will say the price sounds good, my truck msrp was $50,215 and final was $40,600, only incentive i got was the $2500 off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you dont mind a drive you probably can do better but not much.. A lot of people go to Dave Smith in Idaho (including me) and get good deals but they may not figure in cost of fuel, food and hotels let alone a airfare. I bought a 2500 diesel from them back in 2010 and was looking forward to the road trip. I arrived with my trade in at about 8 pm did the paper work, walked me through the truck operation and gave me a travel bag of goodies as well as a voucher to get dinner for me and my daughter.. So fast forward to 1am and about 100 miles from Spokane or any other city that has a dodge dealer, my check engine light comes on and and all the bells a whistles go off.. Long story short, ECM blew up, no sleep that night 22 degrees out, 3 hour wait for a tow truck, 3 nights in a hotel ($400), 2 extra days off work, $ 200 more in food, Fuel $350 All that So i could save 1,500 vs the guys that were 22 miles from me.. PRICELESS

·
Registered
281 Posts
That sounds like a nice build! I do love my Nav system and would recommend good floor mats and bed liner. The 17" wheels can't be as ugly as my 20's! They've gotta go! I bought my truck in Washington (almost bought in Montana). California got me for $4400. in tax and license when I got back to Santa Maria. 'SLOJET' on this forum said that he finally talked someone at Cole Chrysler in SLO into giving him a pretty good deal. Your price looks pretty good but I think you may be able to get another $1k-$1500 off. Send SLOJET a PM and find out who he talked to at Cole.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you dont mind a drive you probably can do better but not much.. A lot of people go to Dave Smith in Idaho (including me) and get good deals but they may not figure in cost of fuel, food and hotels let alone a airfare. I bought a 2500 diesel from them back in 2010 and was looking forward to the road trip. I arrived with my trade in at about 8 pm did the paper work, walked me through the truck operation and gave me a travel bag of goodies as well as a voucher to get dinner for me and my daughter.. So fast forward to 1am and about 100 miles from Spokane or any other city that has a dodge dealer, my check engine light comes on and and all the bells a whistles go off.. Long story short, ECM blew up, no sleep that night 22 degrees out, 3 hour wait for a tow truck, 3 nights in a hotel ($400), 2 extra days off work, $ 200 more in food, Fuel $350 All that So i could save 1,500 vs the guys that were 22 miles from me.. PRICELESS
I'm not sure that I would buy that far away again. It was a PITA but I did save $10K at the time. Maybe now, some local dealers may be willing to deal a bit. For $1500., I would keep it local!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure that I would buy that far away again. It was a PITA but I did save $10K at the time. Maybe now, some local dealers may be willing to deal a bit. For $1500., I would keep it local!
Totally Agreed< but you can always call Dave Smith, get a quote and take it in to your dealer... They often tend to have a lil on the table left to give up when they know you have educated yourself..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to Cole-they quoted me at invoice +500-worth not making the drive up North. Problem is, I plan to register in Montana (where I am a legal resident), but they said they will still charge me CA sales tax. So regardless of the deal...10% to the Man vs no sales tax in MT makes it an easy choice. Funny thing, Dave Smith said I would only pay taxes at the place of registration. Anyone dealt with this? Is it a California specific thing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not a clue, but i know if ya buy a truck in Washington (they have a sales tax) and live in oregon with no sales tax they have never charged me the tax.. Must be a cali thing.. Sorry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Get things added that you can't add later not bed liner or floor mats. I love my 8.4 a must camera, trailer brake, air suspension all great option that are sweet after you pull a trailer one time. Those things will be missed and hard to add the custom fit that comes from the factory. If you have the 8.4a you can add nav. At dealer anytime.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So after a couple weeks of waffling, I am ready to do this.

4WD Quad Cab Big Horn
Trailer Tow Group
Protection Group
Engine Block Heater
Antispin Rear Differential
17 Inch Wheel Downgrade

I have an out-the door offer of $38,067 (Invoice + $199 Dealer Fees - $2000 Incentives)
Purchasing in Montana

Before I pull the trigger, wanted to lay this at the feet of the experts.

-Is this a good deal money-wise? It seems about what I am getting from other dealers nationwide. Should I hold out for FFP, dealer kickback cuts, etc, or is that unrealistic?

-I live in Central California, but plan an eventual move back to a ranch in Montana during the life of this truck. For now, I do some camping and hauling of friends, but mostly commuting. I'm looking for something that will be at home on Highway 101 and offroad at the ranch, as well as pulling a light trailer. What is your opinion of the option list? For those of you who have walked this road--In your experience, is there anything I will regret not getting? Are the options listed worth the money? Are the 17 inch chrome 10-spokes as ugly in real life as they look in the brochure?

-I've also got $500 to spend at the dealer on accessories. What's a good deal from Mopar vs. purchasing out of pocket? I probably want to add vinyl floormats, bedliner, and a toolbox...or something else cool/useful you could recommend.

Appreciate your feedback! Looking forward to joining the club.
For a sold order I think 1% below invoice minus any incentives is typical. My dealer released the holdback in February but I don't know about now. Ask for accessories at invoice price when purchased at delivery. Be prepared for their extended warranty pitch when signing final papers.

Options and looks are personal. You appear to have the basics. To me the wheels are not that bad, it's just the chrome cladding that looks odd but I am already used to it.

A few suggestions on options. The auto-folding mirrors are nice, so you could get the trailer brake control separately to avoid the large, manual-folding tow mirrors which are unnecessary for a small trailer. In Montana you may want the heated seats and steering wheel (Comfort Group) and remote starter. Personally, I would also get the Uconnect 8.4AN. But that's just me.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Talked to Cole-they quoted me at invoice +500-worth not making the drive up North. Problem is, I plan to register in Montana (where I am a legal resident), but they said they will still charge me CA sales tax. So regardless of the deal...10% to the Man vs no sales tax in MT makes it an easy choice. Funny thing, Dave Smith said I would only pay taxes at the place of registration. Anyone dealt with this? Is it a California specific thing?
I would think that if the truck is going to be registered immediately in Montana then they should not charge you sales tax if purchased in California.

Instead they should give you a three day travel permit and a manufacturers statement of origin (MSO) which should give you the time to register in Montana. The MSO is required to build a title. Make sure you get that so you can fedex or drive it personally to Montana.

Call your local county Motor Vehicle registration in Montana and find out what you need to do before picking up the truck at the dealer. You may need to schedule a VIN inspection locally where you get the truck if you buy in California. For us in Washington, only the state patrol can do a VIN inspection.

Also incentives may be different in Montana. So if you buy in California, you can still get incentives out of Montana. Your sales person should be able to do if they use your Montana zip code in the dealer connect sales system. You can call the incentives department at Ram and give them the Montana zip code to see if they may be better for you.

I ordered and purchased my truck locally in Washington State, but my business is located in Utah. My business purchased the truck, so I was able to save a additional $1000.00 over the Washington price. They did not charge me sales tax in Washington (9.95%) percent, but I still had to pay the Utah sales tax (6%) at time of registration in Utah. I forgot to get the VIN inspection and the MSO from my dealer. So that added some additional time to getting registration in Utah. I did all of my work via overnight mail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did it! Went rounds on exactly what I wanted to order, and damn near the same thing (plus some addl options) hit the dealers inbound list. Just put money down, expect to pick up sometime around the second week of July:
Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Black/Black
Bench seat
Trailer Tow
Antispin rear diff
Protection, Luxury, Comfort groups
And some others...

MSRP: $46265
Out the door: $36995. (Invoice - $2500, plus incentives)

Probably could have saved some money ordering a lower-option model...but I am all about instant gratification!

The dealer is buying my plane ticket and an extra tank of gas...already have the road trip from Idaho to SoCal planned out-stopping in Portland to pick up a buddy's boat and bring it down. Should know by the end whether this was a good decision!

Thanks to all for the help-looking forward to posting pictures soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did it! Went rounds on exactly what I wanted to order, and damn near the same thing (plus some addl options) hit the dealers inbound list. Just put money down, expect to pick up sometime around the second week of July:
Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Black/Black
Bench seat
Trailer Tow
Antispin rear diff
Protection, Luxury, Comfort groups
And some others...

MSRP: $46265
Out the door: $36995. (Invoice - $2500, plus incentives)

Probably could have saved some money ordering a lower-option model...but I am all about instant gratification!

The dealer is buying my plane ticket and an extra tank of gas...already have the road trip from Idaho to SoCal planned out-stopping in Portland to pick up a buddy's boat and bring it down. Should know by the end whether this was a good decision!

Thanks to all for the help-looking forward to posting pictures soon.
Awesome! Congrats to you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts