RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel 4WD,PPE tranny pan;AFE oil pan,diff cover, intake & exhaust; GDE.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading the limited slip rear differential in my 2017 4WD Laramie ED to an Eaton Detroit TrueTrac. In researching Master Install kits I found serious quality complaints with all of them. There aren't any discussions yet addressing these issues. I would appreciate some advice and guidance, both positive and negative, to help me make a wise choice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am upgrading the limited slip rear differential in my 2017 4WD Laramie ED to an Eaton Detroit TrueTrac. In researching Master Install kits I found serious quality complaints with all of them. There aren't any discussions yet addressing these issues. I would appreciate some advice and guidance, both positive and negative, to help me make a wise choice.
I went thru issues with the master kits for a DANA 60-2 from NAPA, the bearings were all SKF IIRC, but the side bearings wer Chinese & would start spalling out in less than 10,000 miles, I started getting my kits from TIMKIN & problem solved. I've also found that some reviews on things are written by morons, sometimes you just have to think about comments, I would think that bearing & seal quality would be the main issue. If you're just replacing the carrier you shouldn't need to mess with pinion depth, so that leaves preload & gear clearance, not a lot of need for a master kit IMO, axle seals & side bearings unless you have a tone of miles on it , then do pinion bearings & seal, the pinion shims should remain the same.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel 4WD,PPE tranny pan;AFE oil pan,diff cover, intake & exhaust; GDE.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying. This is my first post. The previous owner of my vehicle was obviously an idiot as he ignored the EGR cooler recall. I bought it in February and have been doing a progressive build. Some of the things I am doing are precautionary becaused I don't know what other things have not been maintained or kept up to date. Some of the reviews on Timken bearings from China have been a bit alarming.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wasn't aware of Timkin's being made in China, I had hell with the side bearings on Dana 60's they were SKF IIRC, pinion bearings were fine, parts selection has gon to the dogs, I worked for NAPA on 2 occasions in the 70's and 80's and their parts were top notch. I imagine if enough complaints came in then these crappy parts would dissappear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts