RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just needed a place to vent a little. I am just a little disappointed in what I have found on my truck. I was taking off the Ram 1500 and the Laramie and 4x4 badges last night as well as plasti dipping the rear Ram badge when I decided to polish the whole truck. Everything was going great until the light hit my truck at just the right angle to reveal that the rear quarter panel just in front of the rear passanger tire and just behind the rear passenger door at about door handle height was a crease/dent. It is a vertical dent right in the line that goes up and over the real wheel well right about where it fades into the rest of the quarter panel. Don't know if that is a good enough description but regardless my heart sank. I honestly cannot think of anything that I could have done to cause this damage. There is no paint transfer and no paint chip in the dent itself. The only thing I can think of is that some jealous Ecoboost owner pulled up beside it in a parking lot and let her have it. No but seriously, I can only think of someone hitting it in a parking lot to cause this. Does no one care about what other people work hard to get anymore? Can you just whip your door open and damage someone's 2 1/2 month old truck and just think nothing of it? Not even leave a note?? This makes me so mad.

Now, does anyone know if paintless dent repair can fix something like that? Is it expensive? I tried to take some pictures of the damage, but due to the location and the angle that you have to be on to see it, I wasn't able to get a shot where it was clearly visible. I will try in better lighting and with a better camera tomorrow. Sorry guys, had to just let it go somewhere and the wife just says "its not that bad".......:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
391 Posts
i've used paintless dent removal a couple of times. the guy we used here does fantastic work. wasnt too expencive. But expencive is a persoal opinion. Call around to the local body shops, and they will usually recommend someone who they trust/know.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a similar dent on the passenger side rear fender on my previous Ram dually. The local dent repair guy fixed it in about 1 hour for $100 cash (no receipts). He had to move the black inner fender liner out of the way, but other than that it looked easy. Results were great - I couldn't find the repair even knowing where the damage had been.

Reactions: Izzy

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am paranoid when i park my new truck. Got back from fishing today and my heart sank when I saw 2 cars squishing my truck in tight on both sides. Luckily no damage. Your wife doesn't realize how much went into buying the truck, I would bite the bullet and have it fixed by professionals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, thanks guys. I had a factory paint defect on the tailgate that I am waiting to get scheduled in. I will ask the dealer if they can do it or if they know of anyone who does. I will now park as far away as I possibly can to try to avoid this in the future. My wife is so easy going and not a car/truck person at all so to her this means nothing. Like you said Skiff, I know what I had to do in order to buy this truck and this sucks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
$1700. That's what I paid for the body work on our 2014 VW Beetle. My wife went to Home Depot last month, someone hit her car while she was in the store and left. No note. No nothing. Except of course, for the damage to our 5 month old car.

I swear, I'm going to wrap the truck in armor, install a video monitoring system I can access via the in-truck wifi and mount a remote Ma Deuce in the bed - go ahead...touch it now!

People suck. Not y'all, of course, but you know...the a-hole "people".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch! I was hoping for a bit of a cheaper repair than that! If businesses would stop trying to fit an extra 20 spots in their lots as well and go back to how they used to be it would help. But regardless, if you need more space to get out Park further away. Maybe we need to become "those guys" who Park on an angle and take up 4 spots! I do however like the whole Armour and camera idea...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just had a dent removed from my 3D using a paintless dent removal shop. Looks 98% normal, if you get down and look real close you can still see a small dent.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Bmw had a great idea with thier flame thrower car to prevent car jackings in south africa....lol seriously that blows, my wife bugs me all the rime because ever since i got my rig i park way at the back of lots and if possible block one side against a wall or curb.
At the very least if the lot is really full ill park beside expensive or newer cars.....

·
Registered
471 Posts
We park at the back of the parking lots too. My dent is from hitting a trash can pulling into the driveway at 2 mph. They don't make any truck body as tough as they use to do.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wait till that aluminum f150 comes out!! Yikes, I'm thinking those trucks will be full of dents after a few years...m.

Reactions: Izzy and gleb

·
Registered
556 Posts
I try to park far far far away from everyone all the time. It never fails though - I come out and there is usually 1 or 2 pieces of junk beside me. Makes the walk up to the vehicle annoying, because I automatically expect a Dent.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Haha! Also when my wife "borrows" the truck to do errands I inspect it! Lol whe caught me doing it this week after she got back from target!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm lucky in that regard Chris 12559, my wife refuses to drive my truck for fear of doing something to it! Haha

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol just chris.... she's the same but we left her car at the lakehouse, so she had no choice!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...If businesses would stop trying to fit an extra 20 spots in their lots as well and go back to how they used to be it would help. But regardless, if you need more space to get out Park further away. Maybe we need to become "those guys" who Park on an angle and take up 4 spots! I do however like the whole Armour and camera idea...
Parking lot design is dictated by zoning codes. The businesses have little say about it. Most of these codes date back decades when land was cheap and the attitude was to encourage driving as much as possible. Typically, many more parking spaces than needed are required and developments are prevented from sharing their required parking. Developing property can be problematic because parking takes up so much space that there is little left for the building. Fighting the illogical parking requirements is expensive and takes time. Most developers just use the minimum space and aisle sizes to meet codes.

Tight parking is difficult for large vehicles. Our town car has been hit in parking areas 5 times by larger vehicles. I know they were large because of high impact points. All of them were hit and run, and a single repair cost as much as $1800. Big trucks with tall bumpers, bull bars and hitches can do a lot of damage. And I'm not even counting door dings which happen about once a year. With the popularity of large vehicles and generally poor driving skills, it is no wonder that parking lots are the scene of so much body damage.

Why people show so little respect for property is another question. Anonymous property damage is very upsetting when you take pride in your truck's appearance. Hit and run is a crime even in private parking lots (in most states) and can involve a big penalty but is rarely caught. About one in seven drivers do not have insurance and one in ten do not have a valid license. Many household budgets are stretched to the breaking point. Not good excuses but I'm just trying to make sense of it. Not much we can do about it other than walking or driving a junker to the store.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I try to park far far far away from everyone all the time. It never fails though - I come out and there is usually 1 or 2 pieces of junk beside me. Makes the walk up to the vehicle annoying, because I automatically expect a Dent.
I do the same Tupelo, park way in the back, not a single car around. When I get back to the truck there is at least one rust bucket park too close to my ED. At least I now know I'm not the only person to see that parking way in the back attracts the clunkers.

And sorry to say Izzy, there are a bunch of jerks out there that could care less about your property. It's just a matter of time and we will all have door dings.

A good paintless dent removal man might get it out if it's just a dent and not creased. $100-$120 ought to do it. Good luck

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'll post a picture later, but we tend to park way out in the boonies.....but 3 days after owning the truck, some ass hat hit our rear bumper with a shopping cart. Scratched the "chrome" off about 1/4". How do u fix that?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I stopped at a paintless Dent repair shop today and was quoted $150 + tax for the repair. I'm ok with that and booked it in for next week. Hopefully I've learned my lesson and park as far away as possible in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts