RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems it takes a long time before Eco-Diesel engine with crew-cab heat up in the cold climate. Please share your experience.
When it was below -23C/ -10F and specially when polar vortex was hovering around for weeks around here...

Below is a summary of one man's observation during this winter:
1) Engine block heater is plugged for 2+ hours before start engine (using a timer)
2) I use the factory grill winter cover + all 4 vents closed when temp is below -10C/14F.
3) Warm up for about 10 minutes before truck is drive-able or Is it?
4) 30 Minutes!! after cranked up I get to the optimum coolant 98C (208F) & transmission 87C (188F) temperature. My Honda Odyssey warms up Fully within first 10-15 minutes in the same weather conditions and "without any winter cover!! ".
5) When I pick up my kids in back seats of the crew cab Kids are still feeling freezing cold. (This truck needs a serious redesign of the REAR in cabin heating system...)
6) My rear windshield always fogs up when 2 kids as rear seat passengers are in. (I find it ridicules, that rear defroster is an option - Reading other threads - this is standard feature in the past 25 years for all cars that I owned)

I bought a crew cab so I could carry passengers in the rear seats comfortably.
Above condition is a SAFETY issue while driving at highway speeds, this reduced visibility through rear-view mirror due to fogged up rear windshield is unacceptable today.

I hope FCA folks have taken a note about this Safety issue. and Regardless of the price tags that these trucks are sold.

Please share your constructive experience / comments ONLY. This is Safety subject.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,703 Posts
6) My rear windshield always fogs up when 2 kids as rear seat passengers are in. (I find it ridicules, that rear defroster is an option - Reading other threads - this is standard feature in the past 25 years for all cars that I owned)

Above condition is a SAFETY issue while driving at highway speeds, this reduced visibility through rear-view mirror due to fogged up rear windshield is unacceptable today.

I hope FCA folks have taken a note about this Safety issue. and Regardless of the price tags that these trucks are sold.

Please share your constructive experience / comments ONLY. This is Safety subject.
If you think because the back window fogs up, it's a safety issue, do everyone on the road around you a huge favor. Take a driving class or have someone who knows how to use the side view mirrors correctly teach you how.
Anything that isn't close to five feet tall, you can't see out of the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
Man you sure have to deal with some adversity. Too bad you can't move and get away from that torture.

Now, knowing from experience it's a miserable place to be in the winter, too bad you did not order a rear-window heater, or whatever they call it. I live in south Florida so have no experience and don't want it either. Now you basically have to use your side mirrors, blow the heck out of the heat inside the cab, leave the kids at home if it's that bad and dangerous or sell the truck. Reads harsh but I doubt there is an aftermarket addition you can get to put heat wires on that window. Look around on the internet as it may be possible.

It is hard to blame the manufacturer for something you don't have. Good luck with a positive solution.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you freaking kidding me? You really can't be serious about this. I live in the finger lakes of New York, so I'm familiar with the weather conditions. -10F and you expect the windows NOT to fog up with warm bodies next to them, FYI, ALL of the windows will do this when there isn't enough air movement going over the glass and you have warmth inside and cold outside. Perhaps you should've ordered a rear defogger, or you could drive you Honda. I would also learn to use your side view mirrors, as stated previously. Use them for both going forward and reverse. I'm sorry for sounding so harsh( Not really) but you're complaining about something that is not FCA's fault.

·
Registered
737 Posts
3 large bodies in crew cab today, heading to Wisconsin to Ski. 10 inches of snow fell last night. All windows and windshield fogging up, had to get rags to wipe inside windows down to see.

Had the recirculating cab air engaged........

Once I turned that off and used the outside air with normal heat range, all the windows cleared right up....not before a van blew stop sign due to not being able to stop from passengers side at four way stop intersection.

Teaching 15 yr old winter driving tips.....that one would of hurt cause van was trying to turn left but couldn't stop let alone turn left...

Always make sure approaching vehicles are in control before pulling out in front of them.

Before that had the boys, 15 and 17 push a Dodge Charger 2 wd out of a major intersection trying to turn right. Some other good Samaritan was try to help the younger buck pushing his car out of the plows mess left in right turn lane....they couldn't get it done, I walked up and asked the driver if I could try it....Backed up a few feet yelled PUSH (straightened the tires...) and walked her out.

Anyway, try not to use the preheated air when having fogging windows.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Dude, calm down.

Save your fuel and time, there's absolutely no reason to let your truck warm up for 30 minutes.
4) 30 Minutes!! after cranked up I get to the optimum coolant 98C (208F) & transmission 87C (188F) temperature
Try turning your heat and fan to max when you shut your truck off for the night. I believe this will activate the electric heaters in the HVAC system to warm the cab and clear windows sooner than waiting for the engine.

Reactions: Sojourner55

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ouch harsh responses....

I don't think my experience is as bad as yours, my rear window doesn't seem to fog up as bad as yours. I agree a tear defogger would be nice, but I do tend to use my side mirrors much more than my rear view( I use that more to look at my kids).

I have a Toyota highlander that seems to fog up a lot more than the ram, I think it is because I have weather tech type mats in the ram and that keeps the carpet dry, while the highlander has regular mats. I think maybe the water in the carpets leads to excess moisture in the cab=foggy windows.

Just a thought

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It seems it takes a long time before Eco-Diesel engine with crew-cab heat up in the cold climate. Please share your experience.
When it was below -23C/ -10F and specially when polar vortex was hovering around for weeks around here...

Below is a summary of one man's observation during this winter:
1) Engine block heater is plugged for 2+ hours before start engine (using a timer)
2) I use the factory grill winter cover + all 4 vents closed when temp is below -10C/14F.
3) Warm up for about 10 minutes before truck is drive-able or Is it?
4) 30 Minutes!! after cranked up I get to the optimum coolant 98C (208F) & transmission 87C (188F) temperature. My Honda Odyssey warms up Fully within first 10-15 minutes in the same weather conditions and "without any winter cover!! ".
5) When I pick up my kids in back seats of the crew cab Kids are still feeling freezing cold. (This truck needs a serious redesign of the REAR in cabin heating system...)

I live in same area
never use blockeater
never installed winter front.
warm up from a few mins to 15 mins
216,000 km in last 23 1/2 months
3 kids -14,18,22 plus wife

ZERO issues like you have

SAFETY issue ? oh pallleeeeez !!

ram heater much better than our honda odyessy

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
931 Posts
I always run with the rear windows open a crack to get lots of air flow going thru. Having vent visors helps keep the snow out and cuts down any wind noise. If you find that you have excess moisture built up in the vehicle after shutting off, a trick to get rid of it is to fill an old sock with silica based cat litter and leave on the dash of the truck. This will actually suck the excess moisture out of the air in the truck.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
I live in same area
never use blockeater
never installed winter front.
warm up from a few mins to 15 mins
216,000 km in last 23 1/2 months
3 kids -14,18,22 plus wife

ZERO issues like you have
You forgot to mention, all this on the original fuel filter. You never forget to mention the fuel filter. Everything ok? lol

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Warm Moisture + Cold Surface = Condensation. Simple science. That said, I manage fine when cold in New England. Not as cold as you, but cold enough.

As far as warming up, I do not take the truck to my current job in the winter. At 10 miles, I don't reach operating temp. I personally don't like that. I find it takes almost 20 miles to reach operating temp, no winter front.

As far as rear defroster, these are trucks. People put caps on the bed. They do other things to block the rear windows. That is probably why it is optional. Just my guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you think because the back window fogs up, it's a safety issue, do everyone on the road around you a huge favor. Take a driving class or have someone who knows how to use the side view mirrors correctly teach you how.
Anything that isn't close to five feet tall, you can't see out of the rear view mirror.
Thank you for your educational opinion...
FYI, Windshields fall under MCL 257.709(1)(c) where you live, which says a person may not drive with “[a]n object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.”

·
Administrator
10,002 Posts
Thank you for your educational opinion...
FYI, Windshields fall under MCL 257.709(1)(c) where you live, which says a person may not drive with “[a]n object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.”
I think you were posting about the back window and so was crash :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sqeeter91 "use your side view mirrors, as stated previously. Use them for both going forward and reverse"
LOL!!! Are you kidding me? Really?
I like to have 360 maximum visibility to stay away from distracted and under-influence drivers.
I hope you did not type your response while driving "as your picture suggest with one hand on the wheel ..."

·
Administrator
10,002 Posts
Sqeeter91 "use your side view mirrors, as stated previously. Use them for both going forward and reverse"
LOL!!! Are you kidding me? Really?
I like to have 360 maximum visibility to stay away from distracted and under-influence drivers.
I hope you did not type your response while driving "as your picture suggest with one hand on the wheel ..."
I always use my side view mirrors when going forward, I like to be aware of who and what's beside/behind me. This is how we were taught to drive 50 years ago. Has something changed?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.