RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so from pretty early on with this truck there have been a few times that when trying to start all of the electronics just don't turn on. I mean you turn the key and nothing happens. But wait a few minutes and everything is okay. It happened a few times within these 3 years of ownership. It just seems to be rebooting or something. Of course, since there's no evidence of anything happening it just appears dead. But I've managed to go from panic to annoyed.

But now there's a new twist: The last couple of times it has happened was immediately after fueling. And the very last time (a couple of days ago) it only lasted a minute instead of 4 or 5 minutes.

Could there be some kind of relation?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am not sure if there is relation, but mine does it sometimes too. What I have noticed is if I turn the ignition on without starting the truck and then turn it off and short after back on again it will take a little over a minute to boot up, this kind of pisses me off when I am backing out of a parking spot since the camera is not working. Sometime it will just take longer to boot for no reason, I am pretty sure there is a reason, but at least I am not aware of it.

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
I am not sure if there is relation, but mine does it sometimes too. What I have noticed is if I turn the ignition on without starting the truck and then turn it off and short after back on again it will take a little over a minute to boot up, this kind of pisses me off when I am backing out of a parking spot since the camera is not working. Sometime it will just take longer to boot for no reason, I am pretty sure there is a reason, but at least I am not aware of it.
Are you talking about the uconnect to boot or the entire electronics?

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
Okay, so from pretty early on with this truck there have been a few times that when trying to start all of the electronics just don't turn on. I mean you turn the key and nothing happens. But wait a few minutes and everything is okay. It happened a few times within these 3 years of ownership. It just seems to be rebooting or something. Of course, since there's no evidence of anything happening it just appears dead. But I've managed to go from panic to annoyed.

But now there's a new twist: The last couple of times it has happened was immediately after fueling. And the very last time (a couple of days ago) it only lasted a minute instead of 4 or 5 minutes.

Could there be some kind of relation?
I had this happen 3 or 4 times over the past 4 years. It will usually go back to normal in less than one minute.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Thanks for the warning , the only odd thing I had was : fob would not unlock doors ,
fob would not remote start , so I pulled out the key from the Fob , and unlocked the doors ,
that is the first time I heard the alarm system , didn't even know I had one ... I stuck the Fob in the ignition switch , the alarm turned off and everything was back to normal .
now if I get your " No electronics " strange behavior I will wait and not panic . ( do you remember if you just got in your truck , from unlocked doors , or if you had to unlock
before you got the " no-reaction " behavior ?? ) .
Ziggy , you say it happened after fueling , could it have something to do with the way we "" turn off engine/ leave truck / lock truck doors ,
because I was wondering if maybe I pressed the " door Lock " too many times when leaving the truck when I had the bizarre no reaction to all key fob commands .
and I didn't want to try and duplicate the " bizarre " on purpose .

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ziggy , you say it happened after fueling , could it have something to do with the way we "" turn off engine/ leave truck / lock truck doors ,
because I was wondering if maybe I pressed the " door Lock " too many times when leaving the truck when I had the bizarre no reaction to all key fob commands .
and I didn't want to try and duplicate the " bizarre " on purpose .
No, I didn't even remove the key from the ignition much less lock the truck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had a small hiccup with the electronics a couple of times, I'm not sure but I think I was to quick on the bump start procedure with the key fob, just flick it to start and let it return to the run mode once it started but nothing was active a couple of times
it just seemed to be confused but a cycle of off and start and it's been good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have owned the truck for several years. Never had this issue. It just started in the last 2-3 weeks. I did have it in the shop for body work (some guy backed into the side of my truck), but I don't know if that would have any connection to this electrical problem.

For me, I normally get in the truck, stick the key in the ignition. Turn it. While it's starting up I put my seatbelt on. Then I depress the brake, put it in gear and go.

The issue is when I get in the truck, turn the key and nothing happens. Nothing from the display. No lights. It's like I haven't put the key in and turned it at all. The entire thing is dead.

Many times my truck is not locked at home, and this has happened at home a couple times, so I don't think it has anything to do with unlocking the truck.

When it first happened, I would just turn the key again (or a few times) and it would start. Later, that didn't work, so I had to turn the key to "off" then back on and it worked fine. That sometimes didn't work either and I would have to take the key out and put it back in. That last one always worked... until tonight.

I spent about 3 minutes trying everything. On/off, taking the key out, putting it back in. (I didn't try the remote start, but I was thinking about it). Nothing worked. Finally, on the 4th or 5th try of taking the key out, I put it in and it started right up.

I have no clue where to even start looking. It this a security feature? Is it not sensing the key? Maybe the fob battery is weak and needs replacing. Is this an intermittent electronic problem with the ignition? Is this one of the numerous sensors, chips or on-board computer centers that is on the fritz and becomes a break in the chain of events needed to start the truck?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? So far the dealership have shown themselves to be completely incompetent at troubleshooting anything unless a code is thrown or the truck is actively having issues EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My only thought would be change the fob battery and see what happens,
Good Luck
My nephew came over yesterday for unrelated stuff. But when I went to start and move the truck, it did it again. He was thinking the same thing. I guess I'll have to get a new battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts