RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Administrator
8,254 Posts
"The recall itself is for coolant loss through microscopic cracks in the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) coolers." Lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would think they will have to redesign a new EGR cooler before they start replacing them,
I will take my place at the end of the line, unless i see coolant loss.
It seems kind of crazy to me that the cooler has a way to bypass hot exhaust gasses when it gets plugged up. from what i have read that is the cause of melted plastic intakes. ( gotta love plastic)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the more of us who complain to NTSB or Transport canada every time there is a fire, the more pressure they will put on FCA to get off their arses and find a fix, not leave all of us at the curb to deal with our insurance. They built the truck, they need to stand by it and find a fix when it's defective!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wow! I love my Ecodiesels, Ram and Jeep. Best vehicles we have ever had. But, FCA sure has had a buttload of problems with the ED platform. I may or may not let them replace ours. Will wait until I see what everyone else's experiences are.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Lets say 100k need a new egr cooler. Minimally cost to FCA is 1k. I've heard close to 2500 if out of pocket to stealer. But for giggles, lets use 1k.

That's serious dough. 100mil... Guess insurance companies said no more.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ok, the AEM is now flowing higher volumes of hot gas than before. That's what Sergio was claiming as why they did what they did.

It seems to me they knew this issue. They had time to correct at the AEM.

Why go through this again knowingly? I dunno, this is truly a case study for business ethics.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As a result of FCA's denial of responsibility in replacing my EGR cooler on a 1 1/2 year old $70,000 truck, I ended up with a much better product after it was deleted and tuned out. Far more reliable, no glitches, better performance, improved fuel economy, cleaner oil, better longevity.......AND no chance of an engine fire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So it seems my 2018, with a stuck EGR valve, may be at the dealer for this very issue. Interesting. I wonder how many years it is going to take.
My Mazda 6 was waiting on an airbag replacement for two years, before I got tired of waiting and traded it in.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ha! Here's what I said yesterday, "This could trigger either a recall or a buyback." I didn't realize one of these things would happen so quickly! This is great news.

·
Registered
88 Posts
From a FB Ecodiesel group, I happen to know that the NHTSA specifically requested to take possession of an Ecodiesel engine that had caught on fire. I saw the texts between the service advisor and the owner. Several other owners who's trucks had caught on fire, eventually posted complaints on the NHTSA website. Fast forward to today and the EGRs from 2014-2019 are being recalled due to fire risk. Bottom line: NHTSA is listening if you have a valid safety concern with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
About time if you ask me.
My brother just told me about it, and his recently started losing coolant, I'm the one who told him to start keeping a close watch on it.
Let's all hope the improved part is truly improved. And anyone that paid out of pocket for a repair gets their money back, whether or not they still own the truck.

I guess JGC owners are still out of the loop for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 289 Posts