RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always carried a tow strap with metal hook ends in my car for emergencies. It's been a very helpful a handful of times over the years getting out of snow banks or sand etc. Now that I've ordered my first truck I'd like to purchase a new strap as the one I own definitely is not rated for the new trucks weight. I'm looking for some input from you guys who have lots of experience with truck ownership. Any reputable brands you can recommend? My truck is a Laramie 4x4 crew cab with every option but the CD player so the truck alone should be just over 6000 lbs. I don't plan on going mudding or anything extreme but a few times throughout the year I will be taking snowboarding trips and lake trips so there's always the possibility of needing pulled out of/pulling others out of a snow bank or muddy sandy shore. What kind of working load should I be looking for in a strap? Any reason to go with a strap with looped ends over one with metal hooks attached? My truck will have the front tow hooks. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to include all the info you guys might need to offer a suggestion. Thanks in advance for the help. Lots of good info on this forum!

·
Registered
391 Posts
bubba rope works really really well, but is very expencive. other than that, go to you local off road shop like 4 wheel parts, and any decent strap rated for at least 20,000 lbs will be plenty!

·
Registered
154 Posts
image.jpg

I'm cheap but I use a Smittybuilt. 3 inch by 30 feet rated at 30,000 pounds for 40 bucks at 4 wheel parts. They also sell a 2 inch by 20 foot rated at 20,000 for 20 bucks. There are some really pricy ones but the rating is the same or lower.

It's important to note the difference between a recovery and a tow strap. A recovery strap works like a giant rubber band. When you pull, it stretches then retracts so you can giver hell and wait for the rebound. A tow strap has no give, so when you pull, you want the strap to be taunt first so it won't snap. This requires you to have good traction if you're the hero where the recovery strap you just need momentum.

I also stay away from the metal hooks. If she gives who knows where the hunk of steel is going.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info guys, thanks! @FP3 Bubba rope looks like a good option. @Rog thanks for the distinction between recovery and tow. Learn something new everyday! And the metal hooks potential in becoming projectiles during a failure situation is a valid point!

·
Registered
273 Posts
View attachment 1083

I'm cheap but I use a Smittybuilt. 3 inch by 30 feet rated at 30,000 pounds for 40 bucks at 4 wheel parts. They also sell a 2 inch by 20 foot rated at 20,000 for 20 bucks. There are some really pricy ones but the rating is the same or lower.

It's important to not the difference between a recovery and a tow strap. A recovery strap works like a giant rubber band. When you pull, it stretches then retracts so you can giver hell wait for the rebound. A tow strap has no give, so when you pull you want the strap to be taunt first so it won't snap. This requires you to have good traction if you're the hero were the recovery strap you just need momentum.

I also stay away from the metal hooks. If she gives who knows where the hunk of steel is going.

Hope this helps

ROG, excellent info, thanks!

Always had one on my tow vehicle (just in case) and never considered (or knew) the difference between the strap types. I have the metal hooks which based on your insightful comment I was dumb to think they would be the best option. I never considered the impact of flying metal if the strap broke. Time to upgrade.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recommend a strap WITHOUT A HOOK. I've been in rock crawling since 1997. I have seen the hook break or slip off flying one direction or another and almost take out the driver or bystander. Use a loop and a Clevis . Much safer. Switched to a Bubba Rope. It is really expensive but my does it jack out a stuck truck without jerking and breaking stuff. YouTube has some examples.

I have seldom used the it to get pulled out, but I am usually the one pulling someone else out. Hope to keep it that way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ROG, excellent info, thanks!

Always had one on my tow vehicle (just in case) and never considered (or knew) the difference between the strap types. I have the metal hooks which based on your insightful comment I was dumb to think they would be the best option. I never considered the impact of flying metal if the strap broke. Time to upgrade.
Any time. Synthetic winch ropes are another safe bet if you have a winch instead of a steel cable but they are definitely not cheap. I put one on my TJ after I took out my windshield with one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
And consider adding a small heavy blanket, U-Haul moving balnkets are great, to the kit with a tow strap, just hanging it on the line when just tight before pulling can slow the rebound if anything gives. Need a fairly large blanket with a recovery strap but I've know lots of Jeep guys to carry one as a ground cloth for repairs too. And if someone offers with anything other than a strap, decline especially with chains or a cable. I've seen a broken chain rip right through the front of a International chip truck just trying to move a Silverado 2500.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Any time. Synthetic winch ropes are another safe bet if you have a winch instead of a steel cable but they are definitely not cheap. I put one on my TJ after I took out my windshield with one.
AmSteel is GREAT for that but definitely not a cheap upgrade, it's all the company I work for runs on the chipper winches. 1/2" line is $4.25/foot for 30k, 7/16 is 2.50/ft for 21k. The same company makes kinetic recovery lines with spliced eyes instead of stitched loops but they are expensive, over hundred bucks I think.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
AmSteel is GREAT for that but definitely not a cheap upgrade, it's all the company I work for runs on the chipper winches. 1/2" line is $4.25/foot for 30k, 7/16 is 2.50/ft for 21k. The same company makes kinetic recovery lines with spliced eyes instead of stitched loops but they are expensive, over hundred bucks I think.
Keep in mind, with the synthetic ropes, if you snag then, they need to be replaced. They do not stand up well to abrasion and become compromised at the location of the snag or abrasion.

Grab a proper tow strap with wrapped ends, no hooks. Should be at least 3x your truck's weight...but you also need to factor in the friction or suction of a given situation. The 30,000 pound rating recommendation sounds about right. ;)

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Can't imagine one of those tow hooks breaking and "flying" around.

Tow with a chain. I always carry a 10 ft. chain, with hooks, in my accessory box. Sure it's heavy. Sure it works and I use it quite often. Also take with me another 20ft. chain when I go to hunting camp where I keep my big tractor.

Chains don't spring. If something like a tow hook would break off the frame it will just fall to the ground. There's no spring or snatch involved.

Tow straps find a way to tighten on knots, chafe, tear, get cut and spring back. Even the best is a PIA compared to a chain with good hooks. Weight is a factor when carrying a chain. Otherwise, there's no comparison. You want to get the job done, use the right tool.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Chains don't spring. If something like a tow hook would break off the frame it will just fall to the ground. There's no spring or snatch involved.

Tow straps find a way to tighten on knots, chafe, tear, get cut and spring back. Even the best is a PIA compared to a chain with good hooks. Weight is a factor when carrying a chain. Otherwise, there's no comparison. You want to get the job done, use the right tool.
I need to find you the picture of the front of the chip truck ripped through the hood by the chain, it almost sheared the hood off the truck and destroyed the radiator and upper hoses. Since then a chain used for anything other than a tie-down, and ONLY chains that came with the tie-down, is grounds for immediate termination on the spot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Keep in mind, with the synthetic ropes, if you snag then, they need to be replaced. They do not stand up well to abrasion and become compromised at the location of the snag or abrasion.
AmSteel and others are a sheathed braid just for that reason, we use the to natural crotch in a tree if needed but prefer to use a pulley or false crotch to save the wear. Inspection is key and every line is run out by hand and checked before loading.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Sounds like it was chained to something that sprung. There's little to no stretch in a chain. When it breaks, it just breaks unless it breaks from something attached that falls back or springs, which would throw the chain.

Curious now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That was COMPLETELY wrong way to use a chain though, never jerk on the chain. It's used the same way as a tow strap; load to tension, then apply slow and calm pressure to move the towed load.

From what I learned from asking guys that read the report the closest thing they can guess was possibly a twisted link or a couple. The manufacturer claimed after the accident you should never pull a load with the chain and they would no longer list any of their chains for towing. Load and tie-down use only as the loading is much smoother and even as opposed to the increasing loading with the start of towing. I'm sure well stored, clean, older chains, and importantly experienced user, would be better than anything newer but I'd still say a good recovery or tow strap for most people.

·
Registered
154 Posts
True.. When your pulling someone out and your just spinning your wheels on ice or in the mud the next thought is to do a quick tug or jolt. So I agree a good recovery strap is your best option providing you don't have a winch.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Watched that. You guys might be right. No way can you snatch the load with anything that has no give. That's a given. Sure surprised to see that chain fly back like that even though he snatched it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 25 foot chain it is rated for 90000 or 95000 pounds. not because it is better but because that is what I have always had. I have used that chain for towing loaded log trucks with dozers and tractors so I feel confident now using it for the occasional stuck half ton.
I will say that I have seen chains snap before while towing heavy equipment or tractor trailer trucks with heavy equipment. 9 times out of 10 they just fall and nothing gets damaged, but there is a crazy amount of force that could seriously damage gear or someone too close.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts