RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Mahindra 4530 tractor with front end loader (7300#) and bush hog on 20' tandem 14k trailer seems to be a little much for the factory suspension. I would like to be able to put the tractor all the way to the front of the trailer. What rear suspension set up would you recommend? Power wise, the truck handles the load fine. I'm not pulling long distances. 30 miles max from property to property, and only a couple times a year.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A set of Timber Grove Airbags and a pair of Fox 2.0 shocks.

The Timber Groves are an easy bolt on installation while the Fox 2.0's are a little more complicated and require you to remove the wheel well liners.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Are you using weight distribution?

How the truck appears to handle the weight is irrelevant if your not using weight distribution your putting too much weight on the rear axle and taking too much off the front. Maybe try backing the tractor onto the trailer and seeing how that puts the weight. Ive moved a few tractors around and found that all the way forward on the trailer usually is better for fitting tractor + implements but usually way to much tongue weight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do not have a weight distribution hitch. I have to keep the front bucket 2.5' from the front of the trailer to keep it drivable. was hoping air suspension would allow me to bring the tractor all the way to the front.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Yeah air bags etc. are just going to make it look better but its still gonna be light in the front end of the truck (poor steering and stopping) and from my experience will probably want to sway going down the road at speed.

Try backing it on the trailer with the bush hog all the way to the front, may give you a better distribution.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I will try backing it on next time, I don't think I will be able to lift the bush hog high enough to back it on though. will give it a try.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I moved an old tractor we had years ago with our 16-foot flatbed and my chevy 1500. A buddy put it on the trailer and rolled the front tires up against the front rail of the trailer. Dry weight on the tractor was 6400 lbs plus it had a 6 foot cutter on the back. Tractor would not restart after he turned it off so we chained it down and road 100 miles with the rear of the pickup sitting on the bump stops till we could get it re-adjusted. Fun times a long time ago.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A set of Timber Grove Airbags and a pair of Fox 2.0 shocks.

The Timber Groves are an easy bolt on installation while the Fox 2.0's are a little more complicated and require you to remove the wheel well liners.
Also, as previously recommended, get a good Weight Distribution Hitch. I use and recommend the Andersen WDH.

(I actually just received the updated version in the mail, gonna try it out in two weeks(see pics))
.m

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That's a lot of weight. you have to be approaching 9k. Moving the tractor forward even with the WDH will still overload the rear axle rating of 3900 lbs.

Finding the actual tongue weight would be your best bet , do you have Cat Scales anywhere near you? Putting it on the scales would give you real numbers to work with.

The other factor I would be concerned with is speed and overheating the rear axle bearings. ( and stopping ) If it's local back roads that shouldn't be a problem, but if your getting up to 45 - 50 mph it might be an issue.

I sometimes borrow my friends Mahindra with a loader bucket AND a backhoe. It has to be moved all the way forward to get the ramp gate up. No WDH.
Like you said, it tows ok but I only go about 3 miles on a little travelled back road so I can keep my speed to about 25 -30 mph.

My Timber Grove airbags keep the truck level but I know that my rear axle weight has to be pretty high.

Good luck, go slow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, my trip would be 30 miles one way and I can easily keep the speed down on these roads. I do want to run it through the scales when I make the trip as there is one not far from where I would be going. I will update the thread then. I do believe this would be touching 9,000 pound load. Trailer has electric brakes as well.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think a 14k trailer is heavier than you expect and you'll be nearing 10k loaded.

I've pulled 8900# with a WDH and it did well.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Tractor data lists 7,227 lbs for the tractor and loader. Not sure what rotary cutter you have but winged it at 850 lbs and found a weight for a pipe top 18'x83" pipe top 14k gvwr bumper pull of 2,095 lbs not including ramps or chains or a spare is 10,172. That doesn't include fuel either. Especially for 30 miles on backroads it wouldn't bother me, but it all adds up rather quickly. 15% tongue weight on that is 1,525 lbs. If you have it all they way up to the front you probably have more than that.

·
Super Moderator
2,952 Posts
Anything other than a TT/TH travel trailer toy hauler you only need 10 percent tongue weight. IE 10k trailer is 1,000 pounds on your receiver. Our factory receivers are rated to 1,100 plus 10 percent or 1,210 TW tongue weight with WDH as the most recent 4th gen listing per Ram. When I weighed a 9,100 pound dry TT with my spare behind the axle & tailgate on using the Andersen WDH I had 3,300 on the steer & 4,300 on the drive axle. I had adjusted my WDH to 1,100 pounds TW IE 12.0 percent. It towed well but done over I would relocate the spare & tailgate and adjust it to keep 12 percent only with more weight on the trailer axles, a little more on the steer axle and less on my drive axle.

That was a 36’ ball to bumper 3 slide unit. I took it over 1,000 miles and over 6 percent grades. Lol and became an even bigger fan of the GDE turbo brake, the factory TBC trailer brake controller and my axle to frame air bags.

I would suggest limiting your sustained rpm towing to 3k in order to keep your temps under control. Limit your coolant temp to 244 and oil temp to 266 in order to avoid derate. (The computer pulling fuel & timing)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts