RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation:
  • 2017 Ecodiesel 40,000 miles (Purchased new in March of 2018)
  • Highway MPG dropped to below 20 (based on onboard fuel computer) compared to ~25 at the end of 2019 (based on onboard fuel computer)
  • My highway MPG and city MPG are now within 1 MPG of each other!
  • Just took in for dealer to review drop in MPG and EGR recall (all software updates are current, no issues with truck)
  • EGR recall completed
  • Dealer told me the MPG drop was due to a dirty air filter. (Filter had been noted on previous oil change)
  • Changed air filter which maybe got me 1/2 MPG better if that
  • Never received a regen message and took it to AZ and back from SoCal six weeks ago (is when I noticed MPG issue) and have been making 1hour+ freeway trips at high speeds here recently
My questions:
  • Anyone experiencing anything similar?
  • Thoughts on fixes?
  • Does the EcoDiesel settlement extend to my model year and purchase date?
  • How do I get the dealer to help me?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2014 EcoDiesel with a leveling kit and 35s with 3.55 gears. I drove a 400+ mile trip on mainly highway doing 70 or 80 most of the way. The best I could get was 17 mpg. If the truck starts pulling the slightest bit the best instant mpg it’ll get is 15. So I’m curious about the same thing you are.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thats a pretty massive mpg difference. Did you get new tires or make any changes to your truck? Have you changed your fuel filter?
If your egr is active, first thing I'd check is your MAP sensor. I think it can effect fuel mileage when it gets clogged with soot.
Other possibilities :
Depending on your location, winter fuel blends will lower your mpg. I would recommend trying a fuel injector cleaner, such as Diesel Kleen or similar product to see if there's an improvement. Also try cleaning your MAF sensor.
That's all I can think of. I'm sure some more knowledgable people will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
297 Posts
2017 model wasn't in the settlement. How many miles are on the truck?

Martin: 4 ways to tank the mileage on an ECODiesel: Drive it at 80 mph (MPG starts to tank above 70 mph), lift the truck (screws with the Aero), use "non-friendly" MPG tires, and drive it while the engine is cold especially on short trips. However, 17 mpg is awfully low....

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
To the OP, is your air filter/fuel filter service up to date? Clean the MAP sensor?

Has anything changed on the truck? Tires? Lift? Driving habits? Driving rout?

My normal drive to work I averaged 29-30 mpg commuting to work. My son started at a new school and I had to take a different way to work that was 10 miles longer but was 50% city driving stop and go and put me into a lot more traffic on the hwy when I finally got to a hwy. I lost 4 mpg just on the change in commute.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,018 Posts
Smaller tires and a tune.

I have a 2017 with 36,xxx miles, and was marveling at the 26 mpg while doing some 'round town driving yesterday. I had just filled up, it is obvious that I got summer fuel, finally. While I run E rated 275/17R/17 tires, heavier, slightly wider and taller, my mileage did not take much of a hit.

Are you guys taking into account the odometer difference going to tall tires? The taller tire turns less, showing less miles, but still using x amount of fuel, giving you a false mpg, which would be less and will contribute to your mpg demise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To the OP, is your air filter/fuel filter service up to date? Clean the MAP sensor?

My normal drive to work I averaged 29-30 mpg commuting to work. My son started at a new school and I had to take a different way to work that was 10 miles longer but was 50% city driving stop and go and put me into a lot more traffic on the hwy when I finally got to a hwy. I lost 4 mpg just on the change in commute.
Nothing changed and the dealer had just changed the fuel filter and I changed the air filter.
-Tire PSI same as always

Today, I was able to milk some better MPGs out of it by putting it in 2WD vs. 4WD Auto, but I had always driven it in 4WD Auto before and had no issues.
How do I clean the MAP sensor?
Truck has 40,000 miles on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

2017 model wasn't in the settlement. How many miles are on the truck?

Martin: 4 ways to tank the mileage on an ECODiesel: Drive it at 80 mph (MPG starts to tank above 70 mph), lift the truck (screws with the Aero), use "non-friendly" MPG tires, and drive it while the engine is cold especially on short trips. However, 17 mpg is awfully low....
40,000 miles on the truck so it's just out of the bumper to bumper phase.
I'm wondering if the winter blend, plus dirty air filter, plus pre EGR recall was causing some of the issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is my situation:
  • 2017 Ecodiesel 40,000 miles (Purchased new in March of 2018)
  • Highway MPG dropped to below 20 (based on onboard fuel computer) compared to ~25 at the end of 2019 (based on onboard fuel computer)
  • My highway MPG and city MPG are now within 1 MPG of each other!
  • Just took in for dealer to review drop in MPG and EGR recall (all software updates are current, no issues with truck)
  • EGR recall completed
  • Dealer told me the MPG drop was due to a dirty air filter. (Filter had been noted on previous oil change)
  • Changed air filter which maybe got me 1/2 MPG better if that
  • Never received a regen message and took it to AZ and back from SoCal six weeks ago (is when I noticed MPG issue) and have been making 1hour+ freeway trips at high speeds here recently
My questions:
  • Anyone experiencing anything similar?
  • Thoughts on fixes?
  • Does the EcoDiesel settlement extend to my model year and purchase date?
  • How do I get the dealer to help me?
Thanks in advance.
MAP sensor is most likely clogged up. It uses a #30 Torx to loosen up and remove from the left rear of the intake manifold. You don't have to disconnect it, just spray MAF sensor spray (any autoparts store) to dissolve the crud. This is your Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor and if it's clogged it doesn't read the correct intake pressures the turbo is providing. Along with that I would also remove the intake filter cover and clean the MAF sensor as well. Those two work together.
Because of the emissions on the diesel your going to have to start keeping those clean on a regular schedule as well as removing the EGR tube and cleaning it out as well.
However...If you purchase a tune (SKT, GDE etc) and delete the EGR in software you can clean it once and be done with it. I have the SKT and after a year of driving checked my MAP sensor and with the exception of being a bit oily was pretty clean of soot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts