RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 ED has just under 59,000 miles. Within the last 10,000 miles and 9 months, my service electronic throttle control light cones on, they said it would cost $800 to swap a valve, I fussed and they said if I bought a service pack they would cover it. Instead of swapping out the valve like they had told me, they swapped out a gasket, 2 weeks later its back in there and they swap the valve for free because they had already worked on it. They said there work was covered for 2 years. Month goes by and the catalytic converter goes out, this was replaced under warranty. The did the AEM with the catalytic converter. Couple weeks go by and my fan comes on, which stupid me thought was part of the AEM. After driving a little bit with the fan on, it gets louder and finally the engine overheating light comes on. I pop the hood and the coolant is very low. I drive my wife's car to the dealer to get the special OAT coolant which the auto part store didn't have, pour the whole gallon in because it was that low. Week later fan comes on again, so I take it to the dealer. They said it was the 3 way coolant valve, which is one of the 2 common problems when coolant is disappearing and the one not covered under warranty. They charge $500 for the part labor and coolant. The part from Mopar is only $180, they charged me $270. I was too pissed about having my truck in the shop every other week to notice at the time. Week after I got my truck back, fan comes on again, coolant is gone again. This time I call them and get it towed to the dealer. That was Saturday afternoon. Monday evening I dropped by to pick up a loaner. Here it is Wednesday and they have yet to say anything. I am VERY curious as to what they are going to say, since after replacing the 3 way coolant valve it was still leaking at the same rate. If they say its the EGR, that's covered under the emissions warranty. If it turns out to be the EGR, will they refund the previous service?

Any advice on any of this is appreciated. I submitted my paperwork a month ago on the refund, once I get that $3,075 I will likely wash my hands of FCA, if I can even sell my truck... There has not been any coolant in my driveway that I ever noticed, despite losing a gallon a week.

·
Administrator
9,120 Posts
If you didn't see any sign of leaking coolant, it's most likely the EGR cooler. I would fight for a refund based on the misdiagnosis.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had coolant missing from day 1 when I bought my truck (in 2017). After adding coolant here and there for almost 2 years, I finally got a code for turbo underboost and it was the EGR and they replaced it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2014 Ram Ecodiesel I had a coolant leak worked on in April. The dealer told me the water pump and an "inlet tube" were leaking. To access the inlet tube they have to remove the fuel system above the intake manifold and then remove the manifold to get in the valley where the tube runs. After spending $2500 on non-warranty covered service the leak was still happening. Took it to a different dealership. They said the inlet tube just replaced by the 1st dealer was leaking ans so was the turbo cooler. They has to lif the cab off of the frame to get to the turbo cooler pipe. After spending another $2500 the leak has been fixed now and working for 3,000 miles. (I am not pleased with the performance since the AEM, however!)

So I read in the Ecodiesel settlement and warranty documents that the turbo cooler line should have been covered by the new warranty. Made a claim to FCA for reimbursement of both service visits. They will only reimburse for second service charge.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Your in texas. I am assuming you didn't buy a Canadian truck and have intact warranty.

The warranty is 5 years 100,000 miles. What kind of "valve" or "seal" did they replace? Assuming you haven't done anything to void your factory warranty go in and raise holey hell till they beg your forgiveness, refund whatever you spent on the service package and fix the issue.

Unless there is something you aren't telling us you are being taken advantage of.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my truck back Friday, parked it in the garage for the weekend. Sunday I looked and the coolant was at the bottom of the fill zone. Drove it to work this week, roughly 120 miles total and I am already low on coolant. I am losing coolant at a rate of about a half gallon every 150-200 miles. I called the dealer a minute ago, they want me to come in so the shop foreman can tell me there is no leak...

I will look up the exact part when I get home, but they said it was not covered under the power-train, despite it being part of the throttle body. Was in response to a Service Electronic Throttle Control light coming on and going into limp mode.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
...and they replaced the EGR system?

Man you have a serious problem and that dealer is gonzo on finding it. EGR or Turbo seal come to mind. Check the oil level. If no issues there it's getting into the engine and out the exhaust leaving no external residue. It needs to be found and properly repaired. Get on their case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts