RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Eco Diesel and the exhaust filter plugs up every 2-3 days. I drive one mile to work and home and rarely drive over 40 mph. Is this normal. I have to take my truck for a drive in the country just to clean out the exhaust filter. What can I do?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't know what you mean by the filter plugs up....do you mean the truck say "DPF filter 90% full. Drive at highway speeds to fix" or something to that effect. If this is what your seeing it is called an active Regen. And if you drive several days and never go over 40, then this is probably not too out of the ordinary. The truck will try to keep that filter cleared as much as possible but it needs the exhaust temps up to do so (i.e highway speeds). If I do more city driving and don't hit the interstate for a while I see this message sooner than normal. Probably nothing to worry about, however if at all possible don't turn the truck off during an active Regen....drive it until it clears (preferably at highway speeds, clears the filter MUCH faster). Keep an eye on it, but also just drive it with no worries.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You need to hit the highway and get your speed up.

I remember a friend had a 1969 Camaro Z-28 with the 302. That thing would tend to overheat in stop,and go traffic. It was stone stock and the guy told me that the car needed to RUN to cool down properly.

Same with the ED except it is the exhaust regen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup, if thats what you are doing for driving (mostly if not all short and city driving) your dpf will reach 65% every two to three days or about 65 miles or so. The shorter and slower your trips are the faster your soot level will increase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have about 2500 miles on my 2015 and have yet to get the DPF message, I would say it's probably because about 80% of my driving is on freeways

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have found with my truck I get the same message every 100 miles or so if I drive strictly in the city. I bought an Edge CTS and was amazed on how fast this thing builds soot! I have found with my city driving, it builds 1% of soot for approx every 1 mile you drive in the city. So the truck will attempt to start a regeneration at 65% capacity of the DPF, so in theory you could get a regen every 50-60 miles and be at 80% in 80 miles!!
Just do what it tells you and it will be good for a few more days! I sucks, but it is what it is.... blame your elected officials and the idiots smoking out every intersection while 'rolling coal' for what your new diesel has for emissions components!!!

Mike

·
Registered
502 Posts
I remember a friend had a 1969 Camaro Z-28 with the 302. That thing would tend to overheat in stop,and go traffic. It was stone stock and the guy told me that the car needed to RUN to cool down properly.

A friend of mine told me a similar story, his grandpa had a '69 Roadrunner with a 383 4 barrel and a 4 speed. he said him and grandpa would have to go out on the highway to 'blow the carbon out of it' every week or so of grandma driving it! His comment was he didn't know what that meant back then, but it sure was a fun ride!

Seems as if we have went backwards with technology with the diesels as we have returned to having to 'burn' the carbon out of it on the highway every week or so......

Mike

·
Registered
374 Posts
He needs to get an edge cs or cts. If he's doing nothing but short hops then it would be wise to monitor a regen in progress and shutdown afterwards. I regen every 115 mies when I drive around town. It's a pain in the ???.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I have a 2015 Eco Diesel and the exhaust filter plugs up every 2-3 days. I drive one mile to work and home and rarely drive over 40 mph. Is this normal. I have to take my truck for a drive in the country just to clean out the exhaust filter. What can I do?
Perhaps you could elaborate on your problem. From the little that you have posted, it appears that you are saying that your DPF is full after only 6 miles, or so, and that makes no sense at all. Perhaps a visit to your RAM service department is in order to see if there is a problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Interesting thread... I seem to have the exact opposite "issue". I drive an embarrassingly large percentage of city roads, and often very short drives. (Still looking forward to those 460 Km highway drives to the summer cabin). I haven't bothered to do the math, but I'd say my DEF consumption rate is normal, I've haven't noticed any odd smells, and no EVIC messages about regens.

Of course having said all that, I'm now bracing for the onslaught of flying codes!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Interesting thread... I seem to have the exact opposite "issue". I drive an embarrassingly large percentage of city roads, and often very short drives. (Still looking forward to those 460 Km highway drives to the summer cabin). I haven't bothered to do the math, but I'd say my DEF consumption rate is normal, I've haven't noticed any odd smells, and no EVIC messages about regens.

Of course having said all that, I'm now bracing for the onslaught of flying codes!
Yep, same here. In 2K miles, mostly short city drives, I have never seen the EVIC message and my DEF consumption is normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts