RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have 20,000 Kms on my ED since we picked it up end of Aug 14.

I have not seen a single regeneration, not a message, not a super hot anything - nothing. I used to own a Mercedes ML350 Blutech so I am familiar with what is supposed to take place....none of that is taking place with this truck....dealer says everything is normal and running perfectly...

Anyone else with this concern? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks

SaskHunter
99.5% Bowhunter

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
It's happening every few hundred miles, you just don't realize that it is happening. They really should include an indicator of some kind.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Me either. No news is good news in my books.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
it only comes up if you get to 80% or more. Normally, you will get on the highway, and it will burn itself out before it gets that plugged up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey guys

I have 20,000 Kms on my ED since we picked it up end of Aug 14.

I have not seen a single regeneration, not a message, not a super hot anything - nothing. I used to own a Mercedes ML350 Blutech so I am familiar with what is supposed to take place....none of that is taking place with this truck....dealer says everything is normal and running perfectly...

Anyone else with this concern? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks

SaskHunter
99.5% Bowhunter
If you want to spend $80.00 buy the Ultra Gauge and you can see your regens about every 200 miles . Its pretty cool.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So today it had a CEL saying the DPF was at max capacity and that the truck only had 2 complete regenerations in 21k Kms.

The tech told me to drive the truck in 4th gear at hwy speeds to get the engine and oil temps above 90 and the tranny above 80 as this simulates 65% load. This would force a Regen and to ensure I did this every couple weeks....does this seem correct?

SaskHunter
99.5% Bowhunter

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
So today it had a CEL saying the DPF was at max capacity and that the truck only had 2 complete regenerations in 21k Kms.

The tech told me to drive the truck in 4th gear at hwy speeds to get the engine and oil temps above 90 and the tranny above 80 as this simulates 65% load. This would force a Regen and to ensure I did this every couple weeks....does this seem correct?

SaskHunter
99.5% Bowhunter
I'm calling that advice bogus.

I've had my truck at 64% on a cold start, hopped on the highway to go home from work and had it start a regen as soon as the soot hit 65%. The engine coolant, oil temp and trans temp were nowhere near normal, and I did not have to keep it in 4th or anything of that stuff.

I'd recommend getting a scan tool/gauge of some sort and you can see how full the filter is. At 65%, the truck will try a regen as long as RPM is >1500. Every time. If you drop RPM, it'll stall it. I've done the parked regen thing Shawn showed a while ago twice now as the truck seems to want to regen just as I am getting off the freeway.

The best option would be if Ram would have just given us an indicator of the soot level and notification when it was doing a regen, with a bonus for being able to force start a regen. Oh well, their failure = more money for gauge companies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do a lot of city driving and I think because of this I am regening every two to three days. I has the edge cs installed on my 2015 truck and can only see one temp (scr). I have now regened on the highway and city streets and have been able to complete all the regens but one. As long as your rpms stay around 1500 the systme will finish. The one time I was forced to stop I just waited for the temp to fall under 500 degrees before I shut the truck off. As soon as I started back up, the regen continued until it finished. Without the CS I would have no clue what was going on and I would have shut down the truck during several regens.

P.s. as most know the CS and CTS are still not configured for all the PIDs on the 2015 truck. Hopefully they will release an update soon.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Tried that 1500 rpm thing Shawn talked about. Could not get the throttle to stay around 1500 rpm. Darn thing just went right past that to about 3,000 every time I tried. Soon as I backed down it backed all the way down.

Either my throttle is cookoo or it takes a better educated foot than I have. Another thing is if I could hold it at that rpm, then what? Cold day in heqq for me to sit and sit and sit holding that throttle just right.

If I have to shut down during a regeneration I slow the rpm's, let it idle for a while to cool and then shut the darn thing off. Using the gauge is fine. Using time to watch the darn thing continue on is not my bag.

·
Banned
627 Posts
Sorry cap. It's your vnt vanes closing to spool the turbo speed up to create more heat and the fuel strategy is changing adding more and less fuel, the computer algorithm is very advanced and it is realm hard to hold the rpm between 1500 and 2000. Your engine should not have gone above 2600rpm, there is a rpm governor for safety, at least mine does..

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Tried that 1500 rpm thing Shawn talked about. Could not get the throttle to stay around 1500 rpm. Darn thing just went right past that to about 3,000 every time I tried. Soon as I backed down it backed all the way down.

Either my throttle is cookoo or it takes a better educated foot than I have. Another thing is if I could hold it at that rpm, then what? Cold day in heqq for me to sit and sit and sit holding that throttle just right.

If I have to shut down during a regeneration I slow the rpm's, let it idle for a while to cool and then shut the darn thing off. Using the gauge is fine. Using time to watch the darn thing continue on is not my bag.
put it in the manual shift mode and pick the gear that gives you the rpms you want at the speed you want to drive and set the cruise control. You can have a pretty uneducated foot and do that.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Can anyone describe what is happening when the trucks go into the hidden regens and the obvious regens. Is more fuel injected, where, how much is more DEF injected? What actually causes the burning off of the particulates.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Can anyone describe what is happening when the trucks go into the hidden regens and the obvious regens. Is more fuel injected, where, how much is more DEF injected? What actually causes the burning off of the particulates.
Here is an article that describes the three types of regens (may not be exactly like our trucks). These trucks are smart and I don't believe that you have to know or do anything, as an owner. The whole process should be just about invisible to the driver, except in certain situations. And then, it will tell you what to do. I just drive and don't think about regens.

diesel particulate filter (dpf) | AA

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Interesting article from the British AA. I too just drive and do not worry about regens. After 14000 miles I haven't seen one or noted any different engine performance at any time. That said, my typical drive is 35-45 miles one way at 50-60 mph with the return trip starting before the engine has fully cooled off. And I seldom idle the engine. Probably decent for regen

Thanks for the article Gene.

·
Administrator
8,643 Posts
I believe it would be the high temperature heat that actually causes the burning-off of the particulates.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...my truck does not seem to want to regen. I have done the Ram Techs advised method of "4th gear at 100kph and force a regen when eng and oil temps >90c and trans temp >80c, drive for 30kms or so, stop, shut off, wait 2/3 mins, start, and WOT watch for black puff of soot out the tailpipe." - did that and nothing happened. I have had 3 CEL in the last 5 days but went 22k Kms with (the only CEL the DEF sensor one) nothing.

My driving is 25% city and 75% Hwy and I pull a boat & enclosed trailer in the spring and summer on the weekends...

I used to think Ram built this truck specifically for a guy like me, but I am beginning to think I am not the right owner type or driving type for this diesel.

Having weird thoughts about going back to a gasser...a little worried now about long term reliability...

SaskHunter
99.5% Bowhunter

·
Banned
627 Posts
Are you kidding sask? Your techs are getting this truck confused with the Cummins version. Not all diesel Scr regen system programming are the same. This one will not trigger level 2 unless your above 65% at 71% it starts getting really violent with its regens, at 79% you can drive around town at light throttle at 1400f and the turbo growling and pure ammonia coming out the back, and you'll never ever see any smoke out the back, that's the diesel pee doing its job, its not just there to lower nox levels.
You cannot manually force a regen even over 65% unless its programmed into the tech link, but that's only when the tech tool is connected. Your fine just drive your truck, and shell operate herself.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts