RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this here but it is NOT a problem, just an operation of little consequence.

Had to run to the dealer this morning on a hood issue. Shortly after leaving the house I looked down to see this:

Well that got my attention and out came the cell phone. NOTE THE ODOMETER READING. I felt and/or smelled nothing. Decided to take the interstate instead of back roads because I heard regeneration was a problem. No problem. Accelerated and passed for testing reasons. No loss of performance. Watched the display read out the progress. If not for that and one other thing, I would not have a clue. There was NO increase in heat, NO smell, NO sound, No anything unusual except the screen notice.

I never really made it to the interstate until it was about over. Look at the odometer now. Then it was over.

12 miles or so. That's it. No big deal but one slight negative. Watched the instant fuel mileage indicator drop from about 28 mpg during the run to around 19 mpg. The total fuel mileage average did drop about .3 mpg. After the regeneration ended it went back to it's normal/ earlier reading in just about 5 more miles.

No big deal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Great post captain, very helpful. My dealer told me this would probably happen every 300 miles. Even better if it's about every 600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great post captain, very helpful. My dealer told me this would probably happen every 300 miles. Even better if it's about every 600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait one second so for the entire life of this vehicle every three hundred miles I have to do what the truck says wich is to get on the interstate and burn out the filter.what happens if you're no where near an interstate??

·
Registered
127 Posts
No you just keep driving and it will do its regeneration on its own. It should not require anything from the driver. GMs do this without telling the driver but I guess Ram wants us to know. It seems a little quick to be regenerating after only 585 miles though. The fire apparatus I drive with DEF regenerated after 3400 miles and hasn't had to again and I'm at 4700. Seems kind of sudden to me but hopefully by the end of the week I know for my self as my ED is set to be dropped off any day...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Captianmal, is there a manual regen switch?

Some systems allow you to check the level and do a manual regen at idle while parked--just curious if Dodge has this switch.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fishman, what are you talking about?

I talked of HEARING the regeneration process was a problem. I heard it is best to run on the interstate while it's going on. That's why I turned toward the interstate. My process was OVER BEFORE I got to the interstate. It only took a few minutes from start to finish and just 12 miles or so. Those miles were done by me on ordinary rural roads at a slow pace.

YOU DON'T NEED AN INTERSTATE.

It's hard to read and understand what you write as you don't use reasonable sentence structure with punctuation. Read and understand my post. If you have the question I think you have, the answer is you need to do nothing special to properly deal with the regeneration.

Now, why did it regenerate in just 600 miles?

I can only tell you this truck has done nothing but short runs since I got it. Many have popped the hood, listened to it idle and got in for a slow ride. It had less than 20 miles on the interstate total, plus my blast on that country road at 106 mph. My take is it sooted up because it has not been run hard and hot yet. Do not know that for sure so others, running and towing hard right now, would be best qualified to answer how often the truck regenerates.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for posting that up. I haven't owned a Diesel yet with the modern emissions junk.

The reason the instant fuel dropped, is because the injectors basically just spray fuel when the exhaust valve is open. That fuel will hit the DPF, and then burn. That extra burn, with "burn out" the carbon in the DPF.

Now, why did it regenerate in just 600 miles?

It's because the DPF in our trucks is the size of a small coffee can. (not much room) The DPF in a heavy duty truck (class 8) is the size of a small trash can.

If you were running more highway (freeway) miles... it would build enough heat to keep itself clear without an "Active" regen.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda, I agree again. You DO know your stuff.

Some diesel cars do not need a regeneration cycle because they put the filter close to the engine where it runs hotter. That burns off the soot into carbon easier and most all the time.

I did ask the service manger at the dealership if he thought the oil level came up from fuel blow-by the rings during that cycle.

Silence.

There was silence from him on that and I did not check the oil level. Sometimes it's best to shut up.

Now, how much fun are you having at that drag strip in New Alexandria?

·
Registered
438 Posts
There is no need for the driving injectors to spray fuel any longer to support the regen process as the DPF has a dedicated injector.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I haven't gotten out there in a while. They do diesel drags a couple times a year... and that's always a good time. It's amazing to see street legal 1 ton trucks pulling out a sub 10 second run.

The little Honda in my pics puts down 307 HP To the front tires. If I could actually get some traction... I would be getting some great times. (my 60' times SUCK) But it's fun reeling in, and passing an older muscle car in the last few hundred feet. (lol)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
There is no need for the driving injectors to spray fuel any longer to support the regen process as the DPF has a dedicated injector.
Good to know. I haven't gotten my hands on the manual for this truck yet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I haven't gotten out there in a while. They do diesel drags a couple times a year... and that's always a good time. It's amazing to see street legal 1 ton trucks pulling out a sub 10 second run.

The little Honda in my pics puts down 307 HP To the front tires. If I could actually get some traction... I would be getting some great times. (my 60' times SUCK) But it's fun reeling in, and passing an older muscle car in the last few hundred feet. (lol)
What are the 60', MPH, et, and weight of the vehicle?

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMG_0629.JPG

Pic of the injector. It has a line that runs over to the fuel tank and wiring up to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woah Shaker223! You just shook some of us up.

I thought and thought I read or viewed the regeneration for the V.M. engine was NOT like the Duramax with a dedicated injecter. Ford and the Ram Cummins use an injection cycle into the exhaust stroke and I swear (please forgive me) it was the same with the V.M.

If you are correct then that's a possible reason the service manager was silent on my hint that the thing could have diesel in the oil. I was the jerk.

Of course, being wrong is something I get lots of practice at.

You sure?

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMG_0583.JPG

I took this pic last week. You can barely see the injector. Now, if that is not an injector, then that is a pretty fancy piece of exhaust pipe for just a sensor. I'm thinking it was designed so the fuel spray is directed right smack into the DPF for maximum efficiency.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Are you sure that's not the DEF injector? If I'm seeing it correctly... the DPF is up-stream from that injector.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maybe it is a DEF injector but it is definitely in front of the dpf and then the muffler and then resonator after the axel.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Looking downstream, the injector is behind the black brace.

21.jpg

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting real interesting. I did an hour of research and did NOT find a definitive answer.

There is, as Honda stated, an injector for the DEF fluid. That should be downstream of the DPF. When I looked under there I could not figure it out. Since the DEF tank is forward of the main fuel tank you would think the DEF injector and that filter would be toward the front. Then there's that huge tank thing behind it and after that a muffler (resonator) where I was told there is no muffler. There's actually three "things" in the exhaust system.

Common sense would tell me the DPF would be in the front near the engine heat with the DEF behind where it's cooler. Looking underneath does not make it clear to me. Maybe that's why I'm drinking J.D. Honey right now.

I don't know.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts