RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Does the regen message show up on the standard el cheapo instrument cluster?

I have approximately 11,000 miles on mine and have never seen a regen report yet. I drive about 25 miles to work one way at about 50/50 highway and city.
No matter , el cheapo cluster , or fancy cluster , no message on dash as long as everything runs within the
parameters of FCA's tune , ==>> 66% soot in filter + required minimum engine temp , and regen happens .( takes 10/12 minutes )
exeption : let's say you are at 65% , stop truck , next few usages are all short runs , never bringing engine up to temp ,
then soot % goes from 65% to 80 % , cold engine produces more soot , at 80% you will see a message on your el cheapo cluster .
in a nutshell , that is the way the truck's computer works when it comes to regens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since the AEM I have had 13 EVIC messages at start-up reading "Regen in progress continue to drive until complete" there is no audio alarm when this appears or when it gives me the "Regen complete".
For my first 46,000 miles I have had only one Regen message when it was new. Brought it to the dealer for all the post AEM regens and they replaced the soot sensor, it did not work. Got 4 more regen messages at start-up from a 10 day trip I took. All have happened after long drive at 65 mph. At start-up the next day cold, or start -up after stopping at a grocery store (hot) or start-up after getting fuel. Hyway driving pulling a 2500 lb trailer should have regens happening in the background. Dealer is ordering a DPF. I frankly don't see what that will do. When I brought it to the dealer my DPF was at 15% full as a day earlier I had to waste time to get rid of another regen message. Something is telling the PCM or DPF to regen. How's is putting in a new DPF going to change that something from telling the new DPF to regen! Can anyone out there shed some light please?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Since the AEM I have had 13 EVIC messages at start-up reading "Regen in progress continue to drive until complete" there is no audio alarm when this appears or when it gives me the "Regen complete".
For my first 46,000 miles I have had only one Regen message when it was new. Brought it to the dealer for all the post AEM regens and they replaced the soot sensor, it did not work. Got 4 more regen messages at start-up from a 10 day trip I took. All have happened after long drive at 65 mph. At start-up the next day cold, or start -up after stopping at a grocery store (hot) or start-up after getting fuel. Hyway driving pulling a 2500 lb trailer should have regens happening in the background. Dealer is ordering a DPF. I frankly don't see what that will do. When I brought it to the dealer my DPF was at 15% full as a day earlier I had to waste time to get rid of another regen message. Something is telling the PCM or DPF to regen. How's is putting in a new DPF going to change that something from telling the new DPF to regen! Can anyone out there shed some light please?
Here is my thinking and it may not be entirely correct. The regen process is triggered by a difference in pressure across the DPF, as measured by sensors before and after the DPF. Those sensors are also responsible for reporting the percent full. If the DPF was partially blocked, I would think that at the end of a regen it would report higher than normal (around 9%). I would be skeptical about replacing the DPF too, but don't knock it; those things don't last forever and you will be getting a new one at around 50K miles.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
mbaessler , did you ever have a EGR cooler problem in the past ????,
coolant trickeling down in the exhaust will damage the DOC and DPF contained in the DPF canister
FCA gotta know if you had EGR replacement ,,, that defective part is responsible for other troubles down the line .

have look at another member's experience opening up his DPF after replacing EGR cooler :
Post # 19 in here :
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/49898-2016-losing-coolant.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
mbaessler , did you ever have a EGR cooler problem in the past ????,
coolant trickeling down in the exhaust will damage the DOC and DPF contained in the DPF canister
FCA gotta know if you had EGR replacement ,,, that defective part is responsible for other troubles down the line .

have look at another member's experience opening up his DPF after replacing EGR cooler :
Post # 19 in here :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/49898-2016-losing-coolant.html
No EGR leak YET. My coolant recovery bottle level has been the same, I watch that. No drips on ground. No crack hoses.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is my thinking and it may not be entirely correct. The regen process is triggered by a difference in pressure across the DPF, as measured by sensors before and after the DPF. Those sensors are also responsible for reporting the percent full. If the DPF was partially blocked, I would think that at the end of a regen it would report higher than normal (around 9%). I would be skeptical about replacing the DPF too, but don't knock it; those things don't last forever and you will be getting a new one at around 50K miles.
So what do you think maybe one of the sensors that measure pressure is causing the regens. I guess I will see. Yes I'm at 50K which I guess is about half life for the DPF.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
So what do you think maybe one of the sensors that measure pressure is causing the regens. I guess I will see. Yes I'm at 50K which I guess is about half life for the DPF.
Could be a sensor... You may field the question to GDE, they know more than fca techs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had a full 70,000 mile service last month at the dealer. Yesterday had my exhaust filter hit 80% full. Last time that happened I wasn't able to hit highway speeds on my ride home long enough to regen properly, and had to get towed into the dealer the next day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Here's some basic information concerning the self cleaning (regeneration) of the Diesel Particulate Filter:

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.
The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load,are carrying a full payload, or driving hard.

From forum member Patty:

The truck's programming will make many repeated attempts to regenerate the DPF, from a high soot mass level of 65% down to <10% when a cycle is complete. If your trip is too short and the engine is then shut off, or the truck is put in park with the engine idling, an active regeneration process stops (at whatever soot level the DPF is at). The next drive cycle when the DPF again reaches 65% soot mass the whole process starts all over again. If you are going on a road trip the complete cycle will happen many times over...up to 65%...regen...down to <10%...over and over again.

The following information from the Owners Manual:

EVIC Messages

Your vehicle has the ability to alert you to additional
maintenance required on your vehicle or engine. Refer to
the following messages that may be displayed on your
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC):

• Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway
Speeds to Remedy
— This message will be displayed
on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) if
the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum
storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive
short duration and low speed driving cycles, your
diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system may
never reach the conditions required to cleanse the filter
to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust
Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to
Remedy” message will be displayed in the EVIC. If
this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to
assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply
driving your vehicle at highway speeds for up to 20
minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate
filter system and allow your diesel engine and
exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the filter to
remove the trapped PM and restore the system to
normal operating condition.

• Exhaust System — Regeneration In Process Exhaust
Filter XX% Full
— This message indicates that the
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is self-cleaning. Maintain
your current driving condition until regeneration
is completed.

• Exhaust System — Regeneration Completed — This
message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter
(DPF) self-cleaning is completed. If this message is
displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting
you of this condition.

• Exhaust Service Required — See Dealer Now — This
messages indicates regeneration has been disabled due
to a system malfunction. At this point the engine
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will register a fault
code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.

• Exhaust Filter Full — Power Reduced See Dealer —
This message indicates the PCM has derated the
engine to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to
the after-treatment system. If this condition is not
corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive
exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. To
correct this condition it will be necessary to have your
vehicle serviced by your local authorized dealer.

CAUTION!

See your authorized dealer, as damage to the exhaust
system could occur soon with continued operation.

Soot Loading Strategy (Quoted from Forum Sponsor GDE)

The ECU runs two different strategies in parallel and takes the higher of the two outputs to determine the current soot loading:

Strategy 1 is a simulated value, and is calculated according to how complete the previous regeneration was, and how the engine/vehicle has been operating since then (engine speed, load, ambient conditions, exhaust temps, etc). Different OEMs design different variations of such a strategy, but for the most part the high level concepts are similar. The strategy employed by the Ram's stock tune is fairly rudimentary.

Strategy 2 is a physically measured value calculated off of measured pressure drop across the DPF, the DPF temperature, and the known flow rate of exhaust gasses.

The soot loading is used to trigger the regeneration when all the correct criteria are met.

Just as a note for some more info...

Passive regens happen when there is sufficient exhaust temperature and a favorable NO2/NOx ratio for the soot to burn. This phenomena will happen starting with exhaust temps in the 380-400°C range.
However...the stock tunes are not capable to detect that passive regeneration is taking place, and to thus slow the modeled accumulation of soot and/or decrease it if the burn rate exceeds the production rate. This is why the intervals are not improved more in the highway cycles.

...we fixed this with our tunes, in order to avoid regenerating when it's not necessary.
i have 131000k on my ram 2015 outdoorsman and i have never seen any thing indicating a regeneration is this normal?

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
i have 131000k on my ram 2015 outdoorsman and i have never seen any thing indicating a regeneration is this normal?
The ecodiesel dash display provides no indication when the regen is happening under normal conditions. However, if something is wrong you will see a notice on the EVIC display.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts