RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Does the regen message show up on the standard el cheapo instrument cluster?

I have approximately 11,000 miles on mine and have never seen a regen report yet. I drive about 25 miles to work one way at about 50/50 highway and city.
No matter , el cheapo cluster , or fancy cluster , no message on dash as long as everything runs within the
parameters of FCA's tune , ==>> 66% soot in filter + required minimum engine temp , and regen happens .( takes 10/12 minutes )
exeption : let's say you are at 65% , stop truck , next few usages are all short runs , never bringing engine up to temp ,
then soot % goes from 65% to 80 % , cold engine produces more soot , at 80% you will see a message on your el cheapo cluster .
in a nutshell , that is the way the truck's computer works when it comes to regens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since the AEM I have had 13 EVIC messages at start-up reading "Regen in progress continue to drive until complete" there is no audio alarm when this appears or when it gives me the "Regen complete".
For my first 46,000 miles I have had only one Regen message when it was new. Brought it to the dealer for all the post AEM regens and they replaced the soot sensor, it did not work. Got 4 more regen messages at start-up from a 10 day trip I took. All have happened after long drive at 65 mph. At start-up the next day cold, or start -up after stopping at a grocery store (hot) or start-up after getting fuel. Hyway driving pulling a 2500 lb trailer should have regens happening in the background. Dealer is ordering a DPF. I frankly don't see what that will do. When I brought it to the dealer my DPF was at 15% full as a day earlier I had to waste time to get rid of another regen message. Something is telling the PCM or DPF to regen. How's is putting in a new DPF going to change that something from telling the new DPF to regen! Can anyone out there shed some light please?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Since the AEM I have had 13 EVIC messages at start-up reading "Regen in progress continue to drive until complete" there is no audio alarm when this appears or when it gives me the "Regen complete".
For my first 46,000 miles I have had only one Regen message when it was new. Brought it to the dealer for all the post AEM regens and they replaced the soot sensor, it did not work. Got 4 more regen messages at start-up from a 10 day trip I took. All have happened after long drive at 65 mph. At start-up the next day cold, or start -up after stopping at a grocery store (hot) or start-up after getting fuel. Hyway driving pulling a 2500 lb trailer should have regens happening in the background. Dealer is ordering a DPF. I frankly don't see what that will do. When I brought it to the dealer my DPF was at 15% full as a day earlier I had to waste time to get rid of another regen message. Something is telling the PCM or DPF to regen. How's is putting in a new DPF going to change that something from telling the new DPF to regen! Can anyone out there shed some light please?
Here is my thinking and it may not be entirely correct. The regen process is triggered by a difference in pressure across the DPF, as measured by sensors before and after the DPF. Those sensors are also responsible for reporting the percent full. If the DPF was partially blocked, I would think that at the end of a regen it would report higher than normal (around 9%). I would be skeptical about replacing the DPF too, but don't knock it; those things don't last forever and you will be getting a new one at around 50K miles.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
mbaessler , did you ever have a EGR cooler problem in the past ????,
coolant trickeling down in the exhaust will damage the DOC and DPF contained in the DPF canister
FCA gotta know if you had EGR replacement ,,, that defective part is responsible for other troubles down the line .

have look at another member's experience opening up his DPF after replacing EGR cooler :
Post # 19 in here :
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/49898-2016-losing-coolant.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
mbaessler , did you ever have a EGR cooler problem in the past ????,
coolant trickeling down in the exhaust will damage the DOC and DPF contained in the DPF canister
FCA gotta know if you had EGR replacement ,,, that defective part is responsible for other troubles down the line .

have look at another member's experience opening up his DPF after replacing EGR cooler :
Post # 19 in here :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/49898-2016-losing-coolant.html
No EGR leak YET. My coolant recovery bottle level has been the same, I watch that. No drips on ground. No crack hoses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is my thinking and it may not be entirely correct. The regen process is triggered by a difference in pressure across the DPF, as measured by sensors before and after the DPF. Those sensors are also responsible for reporting the percent full. If the DPF was partially blocked, I would think that at the end of a regen it would report higher than normal (around 9%). I would be skeptical about replacing the DPF too, but don't knock it; those things don't last forever and you will be getting a new one at around 50K miles.
So what do you think maybe one of the sensors that measure pressure is causing the regens. I guess I will see. Yes I'm at 50K which I guess is about half life for the DPF.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
So what do you think maybe one of the sensors that measure pressure is causing the regens. I guess I will see. Yes I'm at 50K which I guess is about half life for the DPF.
Could be a sensor... You may field the question to GDE, they know more than fca techs.

201 - 209 of 209 Posts