RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Not true of my truck... I drive short trips and have frequent regens, which I occasionally monitor. If I shut down during a regen, it just takes less time before another regen starts. Mine seldom gets down to the 8% regen completed, but I have never had the EVIC message to drive on the freeway. This truck is very forgiving of incomplete regens, by my experience.
If you interrupt the regen triggered at 65%, the stock tune will wait until the 80% trigger for the next regen. If the regen triggered at 80% is interrupted, the next regen will attempt at the 90% threshold and you'll get the EVIC message.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dropped in for a visit.

:cool:Hello everyone, I haven't been on here for over a year now. I was reading the thread here and must say that I now have 29,613 on mine and I too have never seen my regeneration light come on. Most of my miles are on the highway at 75+ Haven't had any issues with my truck at all since the battery when it was a couple months old. Loving every minute behind the wheel.

P.S. How do ya enter the truck of the month deal? or Are they just picked from the avatars posted?:confused:

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
If you interrupt the regen triggered at 65%, the stock tune will wait until the 80% trigger for the next regen. If the regen triggered at 80% is interrupted, the next regen will attempt at the 90% threshold and you'll get the EVIC message.
As I said, I have found the system to be very forgiving... My use is almost all in town driving and I have never had the message. IMO, the system functions well for any type of driving. And on a related subject, my DEF consumption has been very low compared to most. At 10K miles the gauge is still sitting at the 1/4 mark. My guess is that people that get the EVIC message have something out of spec.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I monitor my regens closely with my Edge monitor
first of all ,my monitor will have "% SOOT " go up to
65 % , sometimes a little more , like 71% , then the
regen starts ,,, the way I know it is on is ; the green dot lights up on Edge screen
and the % SOOT remains on the number where the regen started
all the duration of the regen , when the regen is complete
the green dot turns off , and only then do I see 9% on the %SOOT .

when I get to destination with the regen not complete,
meaning the green dot on screen is still on , I put the truck in Park
which "turns off" the regen process after a while , (( maybe 1 minute)) and let the
engine idle until I see temp. lower than 400 on the monitored EGT 1-2-3
temps , (because regens take EGTs very high) ,
turn engine off and go in .
the next time I start the truck , I see % SOOT like 33%
and it goes up to 65% and restarts again ,

Uncle Buck , I have never seen what you describe , not saying
this to argue with you ,hate arguing , I always read your posts
and I think your opinion can be trusted .
I'm wondering if there are many different kinds of ECM
in our truck computers , explaining the behavior of my truck
compared to the one you are describing, or did you just
express an hypothesis , possibility , theory .....

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I monitor my regens closely with my Edge monitor
first of all ,my monitor will have "% SOOT " go up to
65 % , sometimes a little more , like 71% , then the
regen starts ,,, the way I know it is on is ; the green dot lights up on Edge screen
and the % SOOT remains on the number where the regen started
all the duration of the regen , when the regen is complete
the green dot turns off , and only then do I see 9% on the %SOOT .

when I get to destination with the regen not complete,
meaning the green dot on screen is still on , I put the truck in Park
which "turns off" the regen process after a while , (( maybe 1 minute)) and let the
engine idle until I see temp. lower than 400 on the monitored EGT 1-2-3
temps , (because regens take EGTs very high) ,
turn engine off and go in .
the next time I start the truck , I see % SOOT like 33%
and it goes up to 65% and restarts again ,

Uncle Buck , I have never seen what you describe , not saying
this to argue with you ,hate arguing , I always read your posts
and I think your opinion can be trusted .

I just finish the regen in park... If you get to where you are going, just rev to 2k rpms and hold it... you can even put it to the floor. Engine revs to 2800, regen finishes.

Let it idle down and you're done. only takes a few min.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Uncle Buck , I have never seen what you describe , not saying this to argue with you ,hate arguing , I always read your posts and I think your opinion can be trusted .
I've had regens interrupted in stop and go traffic since it's just not practical, or safe, to keep the revs up. It takes a surprisingly long time for the ECM to give up trying to regen. My guess is ~15 minutes of not getting the revs into the sweet spot. That explains what you see when you complete the regen in the driveway.

Now I can't say for sure what happens at the various thresholds. Torque Pro only shows 100℅ when the first threshold kicks in then I can just go by my regen PIDs. It does take quite some distance for a regen to start again so I'm assuming that it's the next threshold as that makes sense from a programming perspective.

BTW, I did ask GDE if it would be possible for them to program the high idle feature to complete regens if the truck was placed in park while a regen was taking place. Sadly, they said that wasn't possible. I guess there is only so much room to wiggle inside the ECU programming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So yesterday driving back from TX in our 2015 ecodiesel with 13500 miles the exhaust filter alert came on and said it was at 80%. I figured it would work itso self out driving on the highway. An hour later 90% percent and than 45 mins later 100%. We pulled over and left it it park to see if it would start auto cleaning, but nothing happens. Almost got home and the now we have the throttle sensor indicator that came on and we lost engine power. It says it needs to go into a dealer ship. Has that happen to anyone? Also, whats the repair cost? It is under warranty ? Can it be fixed and reset at home?

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
So yesterday driving back from TX in our 2015 ecodiesel with 13500 miles the exhaust filter alert came on and said it was at 80%. I figured it would work itso self out driving on the highway. An hour later 90% percent and than 45 mins later 100%. We pulled over and left it it park to see if it would start auto cleaning, but nothing happens. Almost got home and the now we have the throttle sensor indicator that came on and we lost engine power. It says it needs to go into a dealer ship. Has that happen to anyone? Also, whats the repair cost? It is under warranty ? Can it be fixed and reset at home?
Unless you just started driving the truck on the freeway, surprised the 80% warning came on. Usually by about 65-70% it goes starts an active regeneration without any notice to you. I have noticed if your on and off the accelerator somewhat hard, it will pauses the regen. If the cruise was set, it would complete the cycle and start back off at 9%.
This will have to go back to the dealer, with the age and mileage of the truck, everything should be under warranty, call the dealer's BS if they say otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya we went all the way to El paso turned around 2 hours later and came back. No issues going to El Paso. And it was on cruise control probably about 70% of the time. Hopefully it is covered under the warranty. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Laramie Long Horn, so i'm guessing there no way to see the soot level the way the truck comes. So what is everybody using to see the soot level. I don't do a lot of highway driving so i would like to see when it is getting high. Also is there anything that can be installed to force a regen when it is getting high/ Thanks

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Laramie Long Horn, so i'm guessing there no way to see the soot level the way the truck comes. So what is everybody using to see the soot level. I don't do a lot of highway driving so i would like to see when it is getting high. Also is there anything that can be installed to force a regen when it is getting high/ Thanks
Edge Insight monitors , CS2 , or CTS2 , both will do what you ask , and yes the 2016 are supported now.
I am not associated to Edge , I just own one , that's how I know .
but there are other ways to monitor , I'll let other members who use those other ways chime in .

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
What a difference in regen time with and with out GDE. With the GDE it was running 750 to 850 miles. Well my tune was wiped clean when the dealers said he had to update the ECM and now we are have regen’s 75 to 80 miles. As soon as I get my CEL problem fixed i will get another tuned ECM.

·
Registered
929 Posts
What a difference in regen time with and with out GDE. With the GDE it was running 750 to 850 miles. Well my tune was wiped clean when the dealers said he had to update the ECM and now we are have regen’s 75 to 80 miles. As soon as I get my CEL problem fixed i will get another tuned ECM.
Amen brother.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My ED (which I traded in for a new 2016 2500 Cummins last Monday) used to Regen every 80 miles on average. That was one DIRTY running engine. Now, the Cummins hasn't had a Regen yet, in almost 600 miles. I've monitored both with Torque Pro app, and can watch the DPF % AND Regens in real time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
So, I was towing my boat for the first time since I bought the truck, and when I got on the interstate...I noticed that my soot level on my CTS2 was dropping instead of rising. Pretty sweet to see the truck working like it was designed to do.

I pulled my boat 160 miles today, and my soot level only went up 5% from where I started.

Soot level started at 17% lowered to 12% heading out. Raised a little when I got off interstate.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
So, I was towing my boat for the first time since I bought the truck, and when I got on the interstate...I noticed that my soot level on my CTS2 was dropping instead of rising. Pretty sweet to see the truck working like it was designed to do.

I pulled my boat 160 miles today, and my soot level only went up 5% from where I started.

Soot level started at 17% lowered to 12% heading out. Raised a little when I got off interstate.
Soot up only 5% over 160 miles is not likely. At that rate, you would go 2560 miles to get to get to 80%. Normally, it should be around 300 miles to 80%.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was running it good. I had EGT3 temps between 950 and 1000 degrees. So I can only assume that it was burning the soot off like it was in a regen mode.

41 - 60 of 214 Posts