RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recalls on the weaknesses and flaws of the Ecodiesel, should the Reluctor Wheel be next? They seem to fail as often as any of the other bad designs.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Man you better hope not. I just went through a 3 5 week ordeal. Van you imagine the backlog? This requires the tranny to be dropped.

·
Registered
325 Posts
As it's not a safety issue, there's no way FCA is going to voluntarily replace all of them, it would cost a fortune lol.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Im not sure why it is a part of the settlement and the extended coverage. Why would a crank position sensor be under greater exposure due to the flash?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
As it's not a safety issue, there's no way FCA is going to voluntarily replace all of them, it would cost a fortune lol.
It could be a safety issue. When mine went out, I took off from a stop sign and mashed the pedal a little bit so that I wouldn't hold up traffic. About the time it shifted to 4th or 5th is when the engine just quit. Luckily I was able to turn into a trailer park. If it were to happen in the same spot but nowhere to turn into, I could have become an obstruction.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It could be a safety issue. When mine went out, I took off from a stop sign and mashed the pedal a little bit so that I wouldn't hold up traffic. About the time it shifted to 4th or 5th is when the engine just quit. Luckily I was able to turn into a trailer park. If it were to happen in the same spot but nowhere to turn into, I could have become an obstruction.
I can see how that would be a safety issue. It just doesn't ring like fire does though, which triggers safety recalls.

Is there a revised reluctor wheel and sensor? Or do we get a crappy made part again that may fail?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Im not sure why it is a part of the settlement and the extended coverage. Why would a crank position sensor be under greater exposure due to the flash?
I dont think it is. I believe the sensor is. Not sure about the 'wheel' ? which is on the crank.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Both were replaced on the extended warranty, not our FCA max care. I assume same parts as original. Something in the flash is involved but I don't get how or why?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
With all the recalls on the weaknesses and flaws of the Ecodiesel, should the Reluctor Wheel be next? They seem to fail as often as any of the other bad designs.
I don't think it's as common a problem as you think. Social media tends to exaggerate issues, and there really haven't been that many reports.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes, we have max care and it was not used.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't think it's as common a problem as you think. Social media tends to exaggerate issues, and there really haven't been that many reports.
Bounty, its happening much more frequently to flashed units. Its covered under the extended AEM warranty. I still don't get why??

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Bounty, its happening much more frequently to flashed units. Its covered under the extended AEM warranty. I still don't get why??
It's possible it's unrelated.

Many think the engine fires are AEM related but that frequency seems unchanged from pre-AEM.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Both were replaced on the extended warranty, not our FCA max care. I assume same parts as original. Something in the flash is involved but I don't get how or why?
I got mine fixed by my favorite independent mechanic. He did not flash anything.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ok, but why is it covered by the AEM extended warranty? Whats the connection to the flash? Its a crank sensor. Mine went out 4 months after the flash. Excessive heat? Pressure?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It's possible it's unrelated.

Many think the engine fires are AEM related but that frequency seems unchanged from pre-AEM.
I disagree. Get on face book and other social media. Its gaining traction big time bounty. Pinto of 2019!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got mine fixed by my favorite independent mechanic. He did not flash anything.
hey ziggy; what was the end cost of the repair?my eco just s**t the bed yesterday. all the earmarks of a crank sensor/reluctor ring symptoms.im at 109K miles pretty much trouble free..damn it!!
D:mad:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I disagree. Get on face book and other social media. Its gaining traction big time bounty. Pinto of 2019!!
There are also more Rams on the road than ever before. The frequency of social media posts by no means indicates the frequency has changed post-AEM.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Ziggy, I appreciate it...I am just curious. I dropped mine off at the stealership today for eval and quote.This gives me a baseline as I do not know any local wrenches able to complete this repair.
should be enlightening to see there rate, im guessing 10 hrs give or take??
Thanks again

Okay, I'm'a try to post this from my original thread on it. It's a pic of the invoice. I'll also link the thread in case my photo linking doesn't work.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/she-died.62960/#post-950196

1 - 20 of 83 Posts