RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

221 - 240 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My 2014 doesn't show any current recalls.
It looks like it will be any vehicle built between June 13, 2014 - March 7, 2018.

"Some 2014-2018 MY Ram 1500 vehicles built with 3.0L Diesel engines may have the magnetic signal material delaminate from the body of the tone wheel. The suspect period began on June 13, 2014, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect tone wheels were introduced in vehicle production, through March 7, 2018, when suspect engine stock was depleted in vehicle production. The vehicle population was determined by engine and vehicle assembly traceability records. Similar vehicles not included in this recall do not have suspect magnetic tone wheels on 3.0L Diesel engines or were built with other engines that do not have magnetic tone wheels. The total affected vehicles for this model is 50,973. Production Dates : JUN 13, 2014 - MAR 07, 2018"

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Administrator
8,947 Posts
It looks like it will be any vehicle built between June 13, 2014 - March 7, 2018.

"Some 2014-2018 MY Ram 1500 vehicles built with 3.0L Diesel engines may have the magnetic signal material delaminate from the body of the tone wheel. The suspect period began on June 13, 2014, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect tone wheels were introduced in vehicle production, through March 7, 2018, when suspect engine stock was depleted in vehicle production. The vehicle population was determined by engine and vehicle assembly traceability records. Similar vehicles not included in this recall do not have suspect magnetic tone wheels on 3.0L Diesel engines or were built with other engines that do not have magnetic tone wheels. The total affected vehicles for this model is 50,973. Production Dates : JUN 13, 2014 - MAR 07, 2018"
Thanks for the clarification. My build is prior to June 2014.
I still don't know why the recall is only for 2014-2016.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Because that's the period that FCA bought the tone wheels from someone supplying defective materials, only 50,000, 1/3rd the units on the road.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thats interesting information mine was replaced back in January this year,
I wonder what they replaced it with the same that will fail again or is it a better one similar to the trucks not involved with the recall.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I fall in that window being an August 2014 build. My Mopar account only shows recall W58 outstanding (software patch). Same result when I search my VIN with NHTSA. I'm hoping this is true, but if the Ram Cares lady is right then many of us won't qualify due to opting in with the AEM fix.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I fall in that window being an August 2014 build. My Mopar account only shows recall W58 outstanding (software patch). Same result when I search my VIN with NHTSA. I'm hoping this is true, but if the Ram Cares lady is right then many of us won't qualify due to opting in with the AEM fix.
The AEM stipulation isn't mentioned in the nhtsa.gov information Since this recall is based on safety, it is my opinion that FCA will cover everyone who has the bad part. From a legal standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to restrict those who participated in the AEM.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The AEM stipulation isn't mentioned in the nhtsa.gov information Since this recall is based on safety, it is my opinion that FCA will cover everyone who has the bad part. From a legal standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to restrict those who participated in the AEM.
I 100% agree with what you are saying. My only concern is the Ram Cares statement and the 2 separate recalls (W58 and W68).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I 100% agree with what you are saying. My only concern is the Ram Cares statement and the 2 separate recalls (W58 and W68).
Your concern is valid. It appears that the W58 was released on August 13th. Then in September, FCA released the W68. Those are two separate recalls. I had the AEM recall completed on my truck. As of today, I'm only showing the W58 recall.

·
Administrator
8,947 Posts
FCA could argue that the "software fix" will prevent the safety hazard.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
FCA could argue that the "software fix" will prevent the safety hazard.
That's true, but why replace the part on some vehicles and not others? To me, either you have the defective part or you don't. In my opinion, those with the defective part will get the replacement tone wheel.

On a side note, I need to look at my 2015 and see when the build date was.

·
Administrator
8,947 Posts
That's true, but why replace the part on some vehicles and not others? To me, either you have the defective part or you don't. In my opinion, those with the defective part will get the replacement tone wheel.

I can't speak for FCA, but apparently RamCares has. The AEM trucks have an extended warranty that covers the sensor which is directly related to the tone wheel.

I sure hope they replace all of the tone wheels, but I haven't seen any evidence other than some members opinions/interpretations.

It's in the best interest of forum members to have facts posted when it comes to things like this. IMO, no facts yet.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I can't speak for FCA, but apparently RamCares has. The AEM trucks have an extended warranty that covers the sensor which is directly related to the tone wheel.
If that's the case, I hope mine fails during the warranty period.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Because those who opted out of the recall can not get the software update so fca only choice is to replace the part. Its one or the other not both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received a notice from CarFax that a recall was just ordered due to crankshaft failure. Has anyone else got the notice and does anyone know why this occurred? Thanks
Yes, got the recall. Waited to make an appointment, deal ship told me they had to order the part and they would call me back when its gets in. So sick of all the recalls. Like I dont have better things to do. Twice they kept my truck for over a week . Now after one recall fuel mileage is down to 21-22 mpg. I was getting a lot better. Fuel mileage is why I bought the truck. I had a 2002 jeep wrangler and only had 1 recall, and that was the airbag.
Dodge Can do better, especially with the cost of these vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you look at this part it is really weakly made. Has magnetic coating that can come off causing engine problems. Needs redesign. My truck a 2020 Limited at $68K sticker. Crank sensor failed below 2,000 miles. Had truck in shop for 10 days.

·
Registered
2019 Classic Laramie CC
47 Posts
What change was made in production that after the 2018 date the reluctor wheel was improved to prevent failure and / or are the new replacement parts in any way different than the original part. Is the new gen engine prone to the same failure? Do the engines produced after the cutoff date already have the software update and if so why is there no software update available for older models? Will at some point the recall be extended to production after 2018? Is it just a case that these later production engines just don't have enough miles on them yet to fail? Should I start shopping for a reluctor wheel and a tranny jack?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you look at this part it is really weakly made. Has magnetic coating that can come off causing engine problems. Needs redesign. My truck a 2020 Limited at $68K sticker. Crank sensor failed below 2,000 miles. Had truck in shop for 10 days.
You state that the sensor failed. Was your failure just the sensor or did it include the reluctor? I ask because my dealer seems unable to find a new style reluctor ring anywhere in the USA. The sensor is readily available. I'm being told it may take almost 2 months to get a new reluctor wheel! My updated post is #163.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You state that the sensor failed. Was your failure just the sensor or did it include the reluctor? I ask because my dealer seems unable to find a new style reluctor ring anywhere in the USA. The sensor is readily available. I'm being told it may take almost 2 months to get a new reluctor wheel! My updated post is #163.
Sounds like January 21 is the target date but I could not get exactly what that means. Is it all firmware or does it include a part. I’m just getting back on here, why do I see two W??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 263 Posts