RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
135 Posts
Tis the question. Is there actually a new reluctor wheel that fixes what's wrong with the original or is it more so software and/or sensors? Maybe eventually some real information will be provided

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ram Cares - please help failed reluctor wheel!. My 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel failed 10/29/20 and was towed to CDJR Brunswick GA. The dealer has been very helpful and diagnosed a failed Crankshaft position sensor and reluctor wheel (tone ring) on 11/4/20. At the dealer's suggestion I obtained a case #77643801 on 11/6/20. I have had numerous frustrating contacts with my case manager (Chardae) who STILL (11/17/20) has not talked to the Service Manager at CDJR Brunswick! She promised for the 2nd time to call tomorrow, but I'll believe it when I see it. A different case manager (Rebecca) emailed me on 11/13/20 with info that the tone wheel may not be available for order until LATE DECEMBER!

My questions:
1) is the Jeep 3.0 tone ring 6849-3358AA a suitable replacement for my Ram?
2) Can Ram replace my tone ring with a new original style until the new improved part is available? This was done when owners experienced EGR cooler failures but the new cooler wasn't available. I know this means doing the repair twice, but it has been done before.
3) Does a case manager have any useful purpose in life? They can't answer my questions, they don't offer any technical help to the dealer, what do they do?
4) Can Ram provide me with something (anything) to drive while I wait for repairs?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ram Cares - please help failed reluctor wheel!. My 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel failed 10/29/20 and was towed to CDJR Brunswick GA. The dealer has been very helpful and diagnosed a failed Crankshaft position sensor and reluctor wheel (tone ring) on 11/4/20. At the dealer's suggestion I obtained a case #77643801 on 11/6/20. I have had numerous frustrating contacts with my case manager (Chardae) who STILL (11/17/20) has not talked to the Service Manager at CDJR Brunswick! She promised for the 2nd time to call tomorrow, but I'll believe it when I see it. A different case manager (Rebecca) emailed me on 11/13/20 with info that the tone wheel may not be available for order until LATE DECEMBER!

My questions:
1) is the Jeep 3.0 tone ring 6849-3358AA a suitable replacement for my Ram?
2) Can Ram replace my tone ring with a new original style until the new improved part is available? This was done when owners experienced EGR cooler failures but the new cooler wasn't available. I know this means doing the repair twice, but it has been done before.
3) Does a case manager have any useful purpose in life? They can't answer my questions, they don't offer any technical help to the dealer, what do they do?
4) Can Ram provide me with something (anything) to drive while I wait for repairs?
I'm just up the road from you WBDavey in Savannah, Ga. My engine just died on Veterans Day (11/11/20) on my 2015 ecodiesel. Happy veterans day to me...
Dealer said reluctor wheel and crank pos'n sensor. Can't find parts anywhere and dealer says parts are not covered under the recall, just software. How do I create a claim? Sorry I'm late to this thread party, but haven't had time to read all.
Any tips or help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm just up the road from you WBDavey in Savannah, Ga. My engine just died on Veterans Day (11/11/20) on my 2015 ecodiesel. Happy veterans day to me...
Dealer said reluctor wheel and crank pos'n sensor. Can't find parts anywhere and dealer says parts are not covered under the recall, just software. How do I create a claim? Sorry I'm late to this thread party, but haven't had time to read all.
Any tips or help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Johnny,
Your dealer is either dishonest or uninformed. If you have had the AEM recall done, all emissions equipment on your truck is covered (parts and labor) for 4 years and 48,000 miles from the install. Below is copied from the long form of the "settlement agreement" which I think is available on this forum.

The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” is a warranty that will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification. It will cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed in Appendix E of the Consent Decree, which are also listed here:
• Catalysts: Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly; Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Catalyst
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System: DEF Injector; DEF Injector Controller; DEF Storage Tank; DEF Delivery Lines; DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee only); DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit
• Parts of the Fuel System: Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit; Fuel Injectors; Fuel Rail; High Pressure Fuel Line; High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit
• Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: EGR Cooler Tubes; EGR Cooler; EGR Valve; EGR Temperature Sensor; EGR Cooler bypass actuator
• Other Sensors That Are Covered: Oxygen Sensors; NOx Sensors; Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor; Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor; Fuel/Water Separator Sensor; Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor; Engine Camshaft Position Sensor; Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor; Particulate Matter Sensor; Mass Airflow Sensor; Boost Pressure Sensor; Crankcase Pressure Sensor; Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor; Throttle Valve; Exhaust Temperature Sensor; DPF Differential Pressure Sensor
• Engine Control Module (Computer)
• Transmission Control Module (Computer/Valve Body & Solenoids)
• Throttle Valve
• Cylinder Head Assembly, including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats, Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly are not covered)
• Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket
• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators
• Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty will extend to all parts and labor related to the covered components.

Reactions: EcoD

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The wheel is not covered but the position sensor is so as long as the sensor is bad they should tear the engine/transmission apart and replace the sensor using the AEM warranty and the wheel, which is relatively inexpensive, would be paid by you. At least this has been the interpretation here since the AEM warranty came out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The wheel is not covered but the position sensor is so as long as the sensor is bad they should tear the engine/transmission apart and replace the sensor using the AEM warranty and the wheel, which is relatively inexpensive, would be paid by you. At least this has been the interpretation here since the AEM warranty came out.
Bill-e: I'm not trying to argue with you, but.... If they only replace the sensor, my truck still won't start. Logic would say the sensor needs something to send a signal (aka tone wheel).

Related question: does anybody know the P/N for the new improved tone wheel?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Bill-e: I'm not trying to argue with you, but.... If they only replace the sensor, my truck still won't start. Logic would say the sensor needs something to send a signal (aka tone wheel).

Related question: does anybody know the P/N for the new improved tone wheel?
Exactly, Whoever negotiated the warranty screwed up in their ignorance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Johnny,
Your dealer is either dishonest or uninformed. If you have had the AEM recall done, all emissions equipment on your truck is covered (parts and labor) for 4 years and 48,000 miles from the install. Below is copied from the long form of the "settlement agreement" which I think is available on this forum.

The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” is a warranty that will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification. It will cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed in Appendix E of the Consent Decree, which are also listed here:
• Catalysts: Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly; Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Catalyst
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System: DEF Injector; DEF Injector Controller; DEF Storage Tank; DEF Delivery Lines; DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee only); DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit
• Parts of the Fuel System: Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit; Fuel Injectors; Fuel Rail; High Pressure Fuel Line; High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit
• Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: EGR Cooler Tubes; EGR Cooler; EGR Valve; EGR Temperature Sensor; EGR Cooler bypass actuator
• Other Sensors That Are Covered: Oxygen Sensors; NOx Sensors; Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor; Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor; Fuel/Water Separator Sensor; Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor; Engine Camshaft Position Sensor; Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor; Particulate Matter Sensor; Mass Airflow Sensor; Boost Pressure Sensor; Crankcase Pressure Sensor; Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor; Throttle Valve; Exhaust Temperature Sensor; DPF Differential Pressure Sensor
• Engine Control Module (Computer)
• Transmission Control Module (Computer/Valve Body & Solenoids)
• Throttle Valve
• Cylinder Head Assembly, including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats, Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly are not covered)
• Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket
• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators
• Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty will extend to all parts and labor related to the covered components.
Thanks!!! that's very helpful!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks!!! that's very helpful!
Johnny, read my post and the warranty, the reluctor wheel is not included, There's even a chance that they claim that the wheel separated and damaged the sensor. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the dealer.

Reactions: Johnny Graceland

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mopar 68493358AA Crankshaft reluctor wheel-- I'm not sure if this is the NEW number though....
Johnny - where did you get this number? If you found it in this thread, I may have confused everybody. That part number was given to me by my selling dealer when my truck broke down. I have ordered one from a Jeep dealer in Greece (found on ebay). That dealer says this part will not fit my Ram 1500, but I was willing to take a $125 chance. The part is expected at the dealer on 11/23-24/20. I'll let everyone know whether it works.

·
Registered
94 Posts
68493358AA is the current part number for the tone wheel for the ram. Not sure if jeep uses the same one. I did happen to see the one for sale on eBay from Greece.
I’m wondering if their will be a replacement part number. I have my engine out right now and would hate to put an outdated part in, if a new one is coming out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
68493358AA is the current part number for the tone wheel for the ram. Not sure if jeep uses the same one. I did happen to see the one for sale on eBay from Greece.
I’m wondering if their will be a replacement part number. I have my engine out right now and would hate to put an outdated part in, if a new one is coming out.

Johnny - where did you get this number? If you found it in this thread, I may have confused everybody. That part number was given to me by my selling dealer when my truck broke down. I have ordered one from a Jeep dealer in Greece (found on ebay). That dealer says this part will not fit my Ram 1500, but I was willing to take a $125 chance. The part is expected at the dealer on 11/23-24/20. I'll let everyone know whether it works.
This is what the dealer gave me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Went to dealer yesterday. Here's what they said:
Crank position sensor is covered, but not reluctor wheel. Dealer mechanic said he wouldn’t change the sensor without changing reluctor wheel also.

The way I see it: the recall was issued due to known failures of reluctor wheel. The position sensor is covered by extended AEM warranty. I thought to change sensor you need to remove transmission, but they want to charge me $800 to change a $35 part which will only require 0.2 hrs labor to remove two bolts (beyond what is already going to be done under warranty). I'm waiting for a call back from corporate Chrysler today as I made a claim yesterday.

Can anyone confirm that you DO IN FACT NEED TO REMOVE TRANSMISSION to replace the crank sensor? They are claiming you DON'T need to remove bell housing to replace the sensor (which is covered by AEM warranty)?

·
Registered
94 Posts
@Johnny Graceland im pretty sure you need to remove or drop the transmission to access the crankshaft position sensor. The shape of the bottom oil pan prevents you from being able to remove it with everything in-place.
If you look at my image, this is my engine on a stand. I circled where the sensor bolts in. It would be impossible to remove without removing engine or tranny.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does the flex plate have to be removed to change the sensor? What a crappy design. Should have used a better tone ring like what gm used on ls engines and put it in the front.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Should I start shopping for a reluctor wheel and a tranny jack?
You have a 2019 truck, so you probably already have the updated part. I have a 2015 with the defective part. Once the new part is available, I will order the reluctor wheel and have mine replaced at 110,000 miles. I live in a remote area, plus I travel across the country. It will be cheaper and most convenient for me to have it replaced under my own terms than to have a failure down the road at a very inconvenient time.

Reactions: Dennisvab

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the flex plate have to be removed to change the sensor? What a crappy design. Should have used a better tone ring like what gm used on ls engines and put it in the front.

The flex plate doesn’t necessarily need to be removed. But if you were doing this repair you would need to remove flex for tone wheel replacement anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The flex plate doesn’t necessarily need to be removed. But if you were doing this repair you would need to remove flex for tone wheel replacement anyway.
Correct I figured it needs to be moved for tone ring obviously.

241 - 260 of 263 Posts