RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Ziggy, I appreciate it...I am just curious. I dropped mine off at the stealership today for eval and quote.This gives me a baseline as I do not know any local wrenches able to complete this repair.
should be enlightening to see there rate, im guessing 10 hrs give or take??
Thanks again
YUUPP!! add me the the reluctor failure list, stealership called today...confirmed my suspicions...
the shop manager said it IS NOT covered under extended AEM warranty, only sensor is. and of course, my sensor is still good.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
YUUPP!! add me the the reluctor failure list, stealership called today...confirmed my suspicions...
the shop manager said it IS NOT covered under extended AEM warranty, only sensor is. and of course, my sensor is still good.
they cannot know/ guess /pretend that the sensor is still good ,
when a chunck of the reluctor wheel flys off , it can damage the sensor ,
they should replace both the ring and sensor ,
you then only pay for less expensive of both parts= the reluctor wheel/ring

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kaz; thank you for that. i will be sure to quiz them on the sensor. I will definitely be checking on progress first a.m. monday. i have a pretty good rapore with the shop manager, which is a blessing, so i am hopeful he will not shortcut the repair. he was the guy that was able to squeak my waterpump repair thru warranty process even though FCA requires somewhat rigorous failure analysis. i am cautiously optimistic he will do right by me this time as well.
as far as part cost, holy sheepsh*t batman, that sensor is spendy!!!
thnx again

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Then why was mine covered with no charge? If under max care it would have been a 100.00 deductible. Also, why would the flash have any impact on the sensor only??

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You're welcome. In my case, my mechanic went ahead and replaced the sensor also even though it is by far the more expensive part. Just in case.
In my case--if not all--there are no chunks flying off. I sent my wheel to a member here and he determined that all of the parts were there, but one magnet had been "pushed off" of the wheel by rust. I would imagine that this is the cause of failure in most cases.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I wrote chunck flying off as in a part of the magnet strip coming loose
and going away , it could touch the sensor as it comes away from the ring .
I even have a picture off your ring you posted Ziggy , ( last image )
we can see a piece of the magnet is missing , as in all other rings that were
posted on the site .

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
my 2 cents.......i cannot for the life of me, figure out why
1) the best method for attaching magnets is glue??
2) why put the crank sensor and ring BEHIND the flex plate/trans?
just a idiotic design....oh wait....future service charges?? i love my eco and am very disjointed by this experience, hell, even considering trade in as a possible out. that is, if my EGR recall doesnt hose that too. what the hey???

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Glue? Really? I give up, European vehicles have never been my favorite. Wife always liked volvo and Saabs. They always broke while my american company vehicles just did the job.

Glad the Cummins is US made. I doubt they have glue reluctor whatever. What a joke...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
i love my eco and am very disjointed by this experience, hell, even considering trade in as a possible out. that is, if my EGR recall doesnt hose that too. what the hey???
Considering a trade over a very rare failure? How do you keep any vehicle?

·
Registered
325 Posts
It definitely is a stupid design and placement however like Bounty Hunter is mentioning is pretty damn rare. A lot of folks have hit 200,000+ miles without having any trouble with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Considering a trade over a very rare failure? How do you keep any vehicle?
hi bounty; first, truck is repaired and it was in fact the wheel/ring. second, no physical damage to the sensor and testing reveals it works as designed. third, my anxst is not about the truck. i love it, ordered it from factory to my specs. my confidence is shaken in the overall design of the systems around the motor. as far as keeping a vehicle?? you are correct, i don,t keep them very long usually, except this one, ie. 109,000 miles. my plan was for this to be my last one as i am retired and looking forward to many "TROUBLE FREE" ecodiesel miles.
not so confident now for sure, actually rather bummed.....thanks for the commentary tho....:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
You're welcome. In my case, my mechanic went ahead and replaced the sensor also even though it is by far the more expensive part. Just in case.
In my case--if not all--there are no chunks flying off. I sent my wheel to a member here and he determined that all of the parts were there, but one magnet had been "pushed off" of the wheel by rust. I would imagine that this is the cause of failure in most cases.
Ziggy, I looked at the wheel and it appears as if the magnet was actually disintegrating, as in, pieces falling off because of material structure failure, not sure if its a heat reaction thing or a contact issue. Looks like the magnet material swelled a little (possibly heat induced??) and after some rubbing against (maybe the sensor or engine casting) something, it started to "blow up". There are actually two areas that started coming off.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ziggy, I looked at the wheel and it appears as if the magnet was actually disintegrating, as in, pieces falling off because of material structure failure, not sure if its a heat reaction thing or a contact issue. Looks like the magnet material swelled a little (possibly heat induced??) and after some rubbing against (maybe the sensor or engine casting) something, it started to "blow up". There are actually two areas that started coming off.
Yes, they are a completely crappy design. A joke.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ok, parts of this mess are under the AEM extended warranty. WHY?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok, parts of this mess are under the AEM extended warranty. WHY?
Not sure...BUT... the Shop service manager let on that IF and its a big IF, the sensor failed or was damaged by the reluctor wheel going south, the repair was in fact fully covered under warranty. I asked why the sensor was covered but not the reluctor?? The answer??? "Damned if I know" It does not answer your question but may help the next victim with a little ammo to perhaps convince a sympatheic ear that it may be possible to cover both.....

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Well, the AEM was a change in tuning, and tuning affects sensors but not hard parts like the reluctor wheel. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Had to go look at what a reluctor wheel is/does.

Kinda important function. But judging from my google search it's a part that fails regularly on GM engines. At least most of the first couple of pages of results talked about gm engines.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Glue? Really? I give up, European vehicles have never been my favorite. Wife always liked volvo and Saabs. They always broke while my american company vehicles just did the job.

Glad the Cummins is US made. I doubt they have glue reluctor whatever. What a joke...
Funny, I have had a long string of Volvo's and they almost never cause any issues. My current xc60 and the one before it and before that one as well, have never had an unscheduled dealer visit. My last S60 polestar only had one issue which was strut bearing failures.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! Add me to the list of reluctor failures. Took my truck to dealership yesterday, and the guy said that he had a good idea what it could be. So I'm assuming he's seen this before. I'll ask tomorrow if the reluctor is specifically a common issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you! Add me to the list of reluctor failures. Took my truck to dealership yesterday, and the guy said that he had a good idea what it could be. So I'm assuming he's seen this before. I'll ask tomorrow if the reluctor is specifically a common issue.
my repair guy said hes "done 4 so far this year" , i have the wheel/ring that came off and it is a REALLY good chance (MHO) that there are many more failures to come.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts