RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thank you! Add me to the list of reluctor failures. Took my truck to dealership yesterday, and the guy said that he had a good idea what it could be. So I'm assuming he's seen this before. I'll ask tomorrow if the reluctor is specifically a common issue.
You stock tune? AEM completed?
Funny, I have had a long string of Volvo's and they almost never cause any issues. My current xc60 and the one before it and before that one as well, have never had an unscheduled dealer visit. My last S60 polestar only had one issue which was strut bearing failures.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Funny, I have had a long string of Volvo's and they almost never cause any issues. My current xc60 and the one before it and before that one as well, have never had an unscheduled dealer visit. My last S60 polestar only had one issue which was strut bearing failures.

I remember trans issues b4 60k miles on Saab 900. Valves on a 240 gone by 70k. Severe electrical gremlins on both. This VM 3.0 is typical of European reliability. Then add in cost of parts alongside horrible accessibility. Land rover is even worse.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't think it's as common a problem as you think. Social media tends to exaggerate issues, and there really haven't been that many reports.
It very much IS a common problem. I have replaced mine, and the part itself is VERY poorly made. The cheap steel corrodes under the thin flimsy magnetic strip. Once it corrodes enough, the magnet just slings off. The part I replaced it with looked identical, so they haven't changed it as of the beginning of this year. I guarantee every single truck will face this issue at some point. You can check out my thread on the subject. I got some pics of the POS R. wheel in there. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/ecodiesel-stalled-while-driving-wont-start.62154/
I believe we'll be seeing more of this occur as it's not a mileage-based phenomenon, but a time based. It's due to the corrosion of the steel ring. If they would have made it out of plastic or aluminum, it would be a much better design. IDK why these dipshits put it inside the bellhousing. What was wrong with the stamped steel ring on the front of the motor like EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER uses?

·
Registered
279 Posts
And whether it's a safety concern, you tell me. Imagine you're driving on a busy interstate and suddenly your engine shuts off. You're in the left-most lane, and there is NO shoulder. That's what was going through my mind as I was driving in that exact situation at dusk. Just how F'd would I be if my rig quit right now. When my reluctor went, I was also towing a trailer.

·
Registered
496 Posts
And whether it's a safety concern, you tell me. Imagine you're driving on a busy interstate and suddenly your engine shuts off. You're in the left-most lane, and there is NO shoulder. That's what was going through my mind as I was driving in that exact situation at dusk. Just how F'd would I be if my rig quit right now. When my reluctor went, I was also towing a trailer.
You just described my night a few days ago but add pouring rain. Median barrier to the left, guardrail on the right. Fun experience.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also add the confusion of WTFJH...

·
Registered
110 Posts
im thanking the gods it ddint happen two weeks ago, i was towing a car 4.5hrs north at 2.30 a.m., hence my seriously considering trading it in.....that is if the dealer will take it now that the EGR recall is out with no fix in site. what a cluster..

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It very much IS a common problem. I have replaced mine, and the part itself is VERY poorly made.
Sorry, but it happening to you doesn't make it any more common. And as far as happening in the left lane with no shoulder, that could be any failure like a flat tire, electrical connection, etc. Don't be so dramatic to hype the reluctor wheel failure. So much drama up in here any more.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Two thoughts -

1. Wouldn't it be easy for an aftermarket company/person to make a better part? It seems they could make bank if it's a well made part not prone to failure...

2. It'd be interesting to know if the 2020 ED's have the same reluctor or if it's redesigned and/or different placement.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry, but it happening to you doesn't make it any more common. And as far as happening in the left lane with no shoulder, that could be any failure like a flat tire, electrical connection, etc. Don't be so dramatic to hype the reluctor wheel failure. So much drama up in here any more.
If you saw the shit quality these reluctor wheels are made of, you'd be more worried. They're all ticking time bombs imo. I would bet 90% of them fails within 5yrs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does this happen on the jeeps as well?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
As far as I know, they all use the same part number for the reluctor wheel. It's the same engine, and this is related only to the engine, nothing else. I'd bet the jeeps will face this in due time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As far as I know, they all use the same part number for the reluctor wheel. It's the same engine, and this is related only to the engine, nothing else. I'd bet the jeeps will face this in due time.
2014 Jeep here.. Never had a problem. Just miles of smiles :) And no EGR cooler Recall.. I dont know why ? Maybe they are different ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yep, just your common online fear-mongering lol. Nothing to see here.
Can you blame me? I had this happen to me and know first hand what it takes to repair. It's like $1200-1600 to do it at a shop. The reason for the issue is corrosion of the part. My truck lived most of its life in TX, and this still happened within the first 3yr of its life. I don't see why it wouldn't happen to all the rest, assuming their parts are made the same way.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Can you blame me? I had this happen to me and know first hand what it takes to repair. It's like $1200-1600 to do it at a shop. The reason for the issue is corrosion of the part. My truck lived most of its life in TX, and this still happened within the first 3yr of its life. I don't see why it wouldn't happen to all the rest, assuming their parts are made the same way.
Well I guess one reason you shouldn't assume that it happened to the rest is because the first production is at or over that age mark and it hasn't even remotely come close to happening....

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Two thoughts -

1. Wouldn't it be easy for an aftermarket company/person to make a better part? It seems they could make bank if it's a well made part not prone to failure...

2. It'd be interesting to know if the 2020 ED's have the same reluctor or if it's redesigned and/or different placement.
Seems like a very viable thought to me, why couldn't something be placed on one of the front of the crank and the sensor simply moved?

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is someone on this forum (I think he has a Cummins avatar) that can see the monthly allotment of ED engines destined for dealers (due to failure, people buying them, etc), it would be interesting to know how many tone wheel/reluctor wheels are going to dealers too..

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wonder if the variability of the reluctor wheel failures is somehow related to how corrosive the environment the truck is exposed to? Could high humidity, high salt environments speed up the deterioration of the reluctor wheel? Could storing the truck inside most of the time help to prevent this issue? Looks like we would need a large group of owners for a statistical survey to see if there is any correlation.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts