RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
My truck was a texas truck. Failed within 3 months of coming down to south FL. Maybe 2000mi or so. Failure occurred at about 158k miles, but I hear them failing with less than half the miles. I think it's a time-based phenomenon. Here's a video of the reluctor wheel and what it takes to replace:

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Can you blame me? I had this happen to me and know first hand what it takes to repair.
I get that. But on the flipside, it has happened to you, so you're more passionate about the problem and it might seem exaggerated to you. You have to put your involvement aside and look at the overall issue objectively.

Most of us are saying there just aren't that many reports of it happening. Even with the older '14s with a lot of miles.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,112 Posts
Mine had only tx and Cali winters. Michigan summers.

Let time solve this one, but the AEM is the elephant in the room. I smell a fish, these puppies are going with excessive egr function. Why? I dunno, but my money is on the so called fix they gave us.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't see how EGR function has anything to do with these failures. If anything, EGR should make the engine run a little cooler and help prevent a reluctor failure. But I bet it's negligent.

@Bounty Hunter I make my assessment from the fact that this issue is SO common, that several on this forum nailed it within 10min of me posting my initial symptoms. I had no idea about this problem back then, and when I really looked at the materials the part is made of, I have no doubt it'll happen to most of them. Sure there will be a percentage that holds up for whatever reason, but I think in the future, there will be a lot of these trucks that one can get pretty cheap because they'll have a bad reluctor wheel and the owner will just want to sell.

·
Registered
152 Posts
...but I think in the future, there will be a lot of these trucks that one can get pretty cheap because they'll have a bad reluctor wheel and the owner will just want to sell.
I agree with this statement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven't ran into this problem and I assume there's no improved design or aftermarket reluctor wheel to replace the current OEM design correct?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
98% sure you can add me to the failure list at just shy of 115k. First time engine has ever failed me. Just gay winter air suspension issues. Could have been a really really bad situation. I was 5 miles out on Lake of the woods, just left our fish house, well my wife did with both kids in the truck. Got a few hundred yards away, struggling through a snow drift as I'm talking her through powering through it, boom, Truck dies. That's it. Just cranks. No warning.

Thank God we had both trucks out there! And I was quick to action and remembered emergency transmission disengagement, so towed her off the Lake with the ford right at sunset. Now to figure out the way to sustain the least financial damage. Dealership lifetime Warranty doesn't look like it'll cover it.
Plus side there's no emissions in the way to remove the transmission?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
jdn powering thru snow you say .....
did the dash show all kind of lights and bizarre CEL messages ????
if so , did you look under the truck for the big connector .
Images in here : and in post # 29 , description of truck not starting after the
connector came apart ...
-------
there is also a small connector inside the truck that can come apart ,
right above your feet ..
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,112 Posts
If it just cranks probably the reluctor. Another clue is violent shaking just prior to failure.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow, that could have been really bad indeed! There is no telling the situation this failure could leave you in. This is why I think it's a bigger deal than everyone thinks. And the cost to repair is astronomical! At best, it's a mini financial disaster. Shame on FCA and vm motori for such a bad design!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not sure if anyone uses a similar design. But I know many vehicles used a piece of stamped steel located AT THE FRONT of the motor. This design wasn't prone to failing, but in the rare event, the CPS was easy to get to. Now that system has two points of failure, and one very much MORE likely to fail. Both are impossible to reach w/o dropping the entire 4x4 transmisison, shafts, DPF, cross member, wheels, liners and skid plates. Took my dad and I over 20hr to do it, and we're seasoned mechanics with a full compliment of tools and transmission jack. If you're going to use such a precarious system, if there is some big benefit to it, use good parts AND put it on the front of the motor.

·
Registered
457 Posts
While it's a different design the LS7 have the sensors on back of motor

·
Registered
283 Posts
While it's a different design the LS7 have the sensors on back of motor
Great example of a better made part: it's stamped steel. It'll never fly apart. I bet the the CPS comes out w/o major disassembly too. VM could have at least put in an access port for the CPS.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,112 Posts
Pitiful design and accessibility. No excuses.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Great example of a better made part: it's stamped steel. It'll never fly apart. I bet the the CPS comes out w/o major disassembly too. VM could have at least put in an access port for the CPS.
You need to remove crankshaft to change the reluctor wheel.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts