RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes absolutely shit design and part, this is the case with most euro engines,
So the question is...
Do you wait for this shit sensor to go bad on you in middle of nowhere... Or you just change this sensor as a preventive maintenance??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Add me to the list... 2015 JGC, stock with ~98k miles.

Like others have said. It would be nice if someone could come up with an aftermarket part designed to eliminate it from becoming a "maintenance" item. Problem I see is the ED is currently such a small market that it prob doesn't make good business sense... yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Add me to the list... 2015 JGC, stock with ~98k miles.

Like others have said. It would be nice if someone could come up with an aftermarket part designed to eliminate it from becoming a "maintenance" item. Problem I see is the ED is currently such a small market that it prob doesn't make good business sense... yet.
You should still be covered by the powertrain warranty, no?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, we have max care and it was not used.
What part of the country are you in where they covered the reluctor wheel replacement?
I'm "working" with my dealer in Northern Michigan. Service manager's District Manager is fighting me on getting this covered, saying it was the cause of the service not the crankshaft sensor. Both were replaced during my vehicle repair at a cost to me of $1,250.00

I hope to get the cost of the sensor and labor refunded, but right now they want to claim that all of the labor is associated with the reluctor wheel (which they say is not covered).

Maybe your precedent will help my case.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
The extended warranty on the engine that we all got to 120k will cover you. I was in el Paso at the Dick Poe Dodge Ram. Service guy said he sees it a lot and knew exactly what to fix and said I was covered.

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
The extended warranty on the engine that we all got to 120k will cover you. I was in el Paso at the Dick Poe Dodge Ram. Service guy said he sees it a lot and knew exactly what to fix and said I was covered.
There's no extended warranty on the engine. The Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor is covered, but not the reluctor wheel from what I can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's no extended warranty on the engine. The Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor is covered, but not the reluctor wheel from what I can see.
Yep, you're right, looks like you just need to find a dealer that'll play nice like mine did. If they're nice, they can attribute the labor costs to the position sensor and absorb it that way.

Just a thought, if they won't play nice, you could tell them to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the sensor itself didn't hiccup momentarily, causing the reluctor wheel to fail. It's a Longshot, but worth the effort to save 1-2k.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Add my truck to the list of reluctor wheel failures. 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn ED with 100,170 miles. FYI this was not covered under the ED Settlement Extended Warranty. Just under $1900 with tax in PA.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Lemon Ecodiesel , read the PDF file in post #86 or #87 , the sensor is covered , it is the bigger price of the 2 parts ( $565 US ),
the reluctor wheel was $75 US a few months ago , print the text and bring it to the dealer , ifyou had the AEM done you are being robbed by the dealer .

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
this is the first time I read of any tech changing only the wheel ,
they ALWAYS push to change the sensor at the same time , while the transmission is away from the engine
that is a first for me .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sensors are backordered until late June at least. The wheels are backordered as well but my dealer found one from an Ohio dealer.

I wanted to get it fixed. Looking to get rid of this truck soon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine went out a few months ago at close to 80,000 miles on my 2015.
My max care covered it.
The dealership had the truck done the same day as it happened.
Lost it about 7AM waited an hour for a tow, then an hour wait for diagnostics,then home.
The dealer called about 4 PM that it was ready to pickup.
No drama when it went out had pulled off a side road to the main road going through the gears normally til about 5th and just like turning the key off,
just quit running.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Mine went out a few months ago at close to 80,000 miles on my 2015.
My max care covered it.
The dealership had the truck done the same day as it happened.
Lost it about 7AM waited an hour for a tow, then an hour wait for diagnostics,then home.
The dealer called about 4 PM that it was ready to pickup.
No drama when it went out had pulled off a side road to the main road going through the gears normally til about 5th and just like turning the key off,
just quit running.
They must have had 10 techs on your truck working like cocaine crazed apes to get done that fast.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No, as they put it wasn't too bad they just unbolted and slid the tranny and t case back a few inches and went in and pulled the flywheel.
They actually had trouble getting the sensor out and had to retap the mounting for it, it wasn't the first one they had done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had mine go at 98.2k miles. It's in the shop now waiting for the part to arrive. I was told MaxCare covers it. I'll see it that's true when the truck is ready.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As I said before, EVERY ecoD is destined to be on the side of the road for exactly this reason. Once they come off warranty, I imagine there'd be some good deals for anyone who can drop a tranny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this failure 2 weeks ago while 6.5 hours away from home, luckily I was still under the powertrain warranty (barely) and it was covered. It seems the dealer in that town messed something up and now I'm leaking trans fluid everywhere, hopefully the local dealer can sort that out and relate it back to the repair...

But on another note, a friend of mine who works with the NHTSA recommended I file an incident report on this since it could end up being a safety issue to someone if the truck dies at the wrong time. If anyone else wants to file their incident it will help them determine if it's something actionable. Perhaps if it becomes a larger issue with these trucks and there is documentation a 'fixed' part may be developed to keep it from happening in the future.

Here's the link to file a complaint if you've experienced this failure (or any others that could be a safety issue): File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

81 - 100 of 112 Posts