RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I remote started my truck and opened the door as I did it which shut off the engine. After reading the manual, I see this is normal operation, so my question is why. I understand not being able to remote start the engine with the hood open (safety feature), but I don't get why you can't open the door while the engine is cranking. Anybody know the reasoning?

·
Administrator
9,822 Posts
OP said " I remote started my truck and opened the door as I did" That sort of explains it. The doors must be locked to remote start. If not already locked they will lock automatically upon remote start. Must have opened the door too quickly?

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
if I read correctly , he said " while the engine is cranking " ,
kind of late to use remote start if you are 4 seconds away from starting the normal way .
I remote start , later I approach the truck and unlock the doors , it never shuts off the engine ,
unless as pointed out by Rambling Man , I happen to arrive exactly at the 15 minutes mark
where remote start turns itself off , that has arrived a few times .
Ah crap , same reply as 97hmcs , typing while he posted ...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
322 Posts
mine has stopped remote start due to door openings

and it gives me a message on my evic when it stops it,

i wonder if you open the door without the key being close proximity to the truck, truck assumes you are trying to steal it and shuts down (keyless entry versions)?

i have gotten the door opening remote start stopped or failed or whatever warning a few times

·
Administrator
9,822 Posts
mine has stopped remote start due to door openings

and it gives me a message on my evic when it stops it,

i wonder if you open the door without the key being close proximity to the truck, truck assumes you are trying to steal it and shuts down (keyless entry versions)?

i have gotten the door opening remote start stopped or failed or whatever warning a few times
If your power door locks were unlocked, Remote Start will automatically lock the doors.

What do you mean when you say "mine has stopped remote start due to door openings and it gives me a message on my evic when it stops it",

·
Administrator
9,822 Posts
REMOTE STARTING SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED
This system uses the RKE Key Fob to start the
engine conveniently from outside the vehicle
while still maintaining security. The system has
a range of approximately 300 ft (91 m).
NOTE:
• The vehicle must be equipped with an automatic
transmission to be equipped with Remote Start.
• Obstructions between the vehicle and the RKE Key
Fob may reduce this range.
How To Use Remote Start
All of the following conditions must be met before the
engine will remote start:
• Gear selector in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• HAZARD switch off
• BRAKE switch inactive (brake pedal not pushed)
• Ignition key removed from ignition switch
• Battery at an acceptable charge level
• RKE PANIC button not pushed
• Fuel meets minimum requirement
• System not disabled from previous remote start event
• Vehicle security alarm not active

Remote Start Abort Message
The following messages will display in the EVIC/DID if
the vehicle fails to remote start or exits remote start
prematurely:
• Remote Start Cancelled — Door Open
• Remote Start Cancelled — Hood Open
• Remote Start Cancelled — Fuel Low
• Remote Start Cancelled — System Fault
• Remote Start Disabled — Start Vehicle to Reset
The EVIC/DID message stays active until the ignition is
turned to the ON/RUN position.
To Enter Remote Start Mode
Push and release the REMOTE START button on the
RKE Key Fob twice within five seconds. The parking
lights will flash, vehicle doors will lock, and the horn
will chirp twice (if programmed). Once the vehicle has
started, the engine will run for 15 minutes.
NOTE:
• If your power door locks were unlocked, Remote Start
will automatically lock the doors.

• If an engine fault is present or fuel level is low, the
vehicle will start and then shut down in 10 seconds.
• The park lamps will turn on and remain on during
Remote Start mode.
• For security, power window and power sunroof operation
(if equipped) are disabled when the vehicle is
in the Remote Start mode.
• The engine can be started two consecutive times (two
15-minute cycles) with the RKE Key Fob. However, the
ignition must be placed in the ON/RUN position
before you can repeat the start sequence for a third
cycle.
To Exit Remote Start Mode Without Driving The
Vehicle
Push and release the REMOTE START button one
time or allow the engine to run for the entire 15-
minute cycle.
NOTE: To avoid unintentional shut downs, the system
will disable the one time push of the REMOTE START
button for two seconds after receiving a valid
Remote Start request.
To Exit Remote Start Mode And Drive The Vehicle
Before the end of the 15-minute cycle, push and release
the UNLOCK button on the RKE Key Fob to unlock the
doors and disarm the Vehicle Security Alarm System (if
equipped). Then, prior to the end of the 15-minute cycle,
cycle the ignition to the ON/RUN position.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yesterday I remote started my truck and opened the door as I did it which shut off the engine. ............. Anybody know the reasoning?

Security.

Anyway .... why would you want to use the remote start when you're not only NOT remote, but you're half way into the truck? That's not what remote start is intended for.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,152 Posts
Not something I would ever have but remote start could be used for nefarious reasons. Put your truck in an enclosed garage and start it. Go inside after a while to use the truck, don't open the main door yet and feel the affects of the carbon monoxide. If you open the door and buckle up before opening you could get sick or get others sick. Same with pets left in the garage.

Starting to think it's a fearsome thing.

Best remote start I heard of was a co-worker who spoke often of how he "trained" his wife. On cold Pennsylvania pre-dawn mornings he had her go outside, start his car, move it out for him and then wait at the door with hot coffee for her man to leave. That would be remote for me as it would never happen. If I asked for it I would start something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As some have said, I opened the door while the engine was cranking and got the on screen explanation that it was because of opening the door. It's my fault, just not sure why they have it set up that way.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Captain , remember those old movies where the mafia would put bombs on cars , on start-up BOOM ! ,
here in Montréal , in the late 80's there was a big war between biker gangs for the control of the territory
again biker's cars were being bombed , so the remote start gizmo business took off big time .
then innocent people who were standing near the criminals cars were killed , happened afew times , even kids got killed
getting mass attention is not something criminals want .
I guess the remote start invention made the "criminals car bombing " obsolete .
And for that , ( and not having to go out in -30C to start my truck 10 minutes before leaving ) I like the Remote vstart invention .

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your power door locks were unlocked, Remote Start will automatically lock the doors.

What do you mean when you say "mine has stopped remote start due to door openings and it gives me a message on my evic when it stops it",
it literally does not start and gives me this on evic

• Remote Start Cancelled — Door Open

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do the parking lights flash and the doors lock when you attempt remote start?
dont really know, its like 1/10 or 1/20 or so

it hasnt really bothered me that much - where i am paying attention to it, all i know is my remote start seems to work like 95%+ time, the times it doesnt it gives me that random door open thingy and remote start stopped message

·
Administrator
9,822 Posts

it hasnt really bothered me that much - where i am paying attention to it, all i know is my remote start seems to work like 95%+ time, the times it doesnt it gives me that random door open thingy and remote start stopped message
Possibly the door wasn't fully closed when you remote started. At least that's what the message refers to. Not sure how accurate those messages are though. If I drive away with my door not completely shut, the EVIC message says Not in Park. Go figure.

·
Administrator
9,822 Posts

I just discovered if you lock the doors with the remote FOB and press the lock button a second time the remote start will not work and you get the "door open" message.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.